Any regrets going automatic?

Dave Bowen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL Unlimited
I know the automatic transmission is way better than the manual transmission. I’m seeing the new 392 rubicon is offered in automatic only and I’m not saying I’ll be getting one anytime soon. I’ve been driving manual for a long time to a point where driving an automatic is uncomfortable for me because my foot is constantly reaching for a clutch pedal that’s not there and my hand is constantly going for a gear change that’s unnecessary. Just out of curiosity how many of you out here made the switch to automatic from manual and if you have any regrets or love it better?
I do like the automatic in my 2018 JL, but for one thing - it winds up in the gears a lot more than I'd prefer (2,500+), so I basically drive it using the manual option on the automatic so I can shift it sooner than it would ordinarily. The full auto is probably better for off road and towing but it bothers me when just driving around town. Less engine wear and better mileage from shifting earlier. Last manual I had was in a Shelby 427 Cobra but that was cheating - it didn't care what gear you started out in.
Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
my foot is constantly reaching for a clutch pedal that’s not there and my hand is constantly going for a gear change that’s unnecessary.
I saw a neurologist for that same problem.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Much better auto w/o a tazer JL

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Auto here, no regrets. I have the Hellcat Challenger for my stick fix...😁

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I bought this for top down relaxation and zombie apocalypse. Last thing I want to do is row gears and cramp up my left calf. I’ll just get on a bike if I wanna shift and feel one with the machine

Sponsored

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
I have been driving a standard transmission for the last 30+ years, and as long as my knees work, going to keep doing so. I have better throttle response with manual, I have better 4X4 control with manual, I can use the transmission to slow me down if hauling load, and speed up with more power than an automatic. It used to be the average loss of power with automatic was 25HP. I don't know if that still holds true, but I want as much power/Torque as the 3.6 can deliver, I will get more with manual. If the diesel came with manual, that would be the best option for me, however!

Now, we are considering going down to one vehicle, if we do, I will have to get the automatic, because the BH won't drive a manual, although she actually is better at it than I am after a few starts and stops, she just hates them (manual). so keep her happy, I will be happy.

Deleted member 59498

I had auto for years, loving my 6 speed JL Rubi, although 1st is so low I sometimes skip it if moving. I mean really low in snow I can throw snow 30 feet behind me when I had a tailgater pull up behind me at a red light. Hope all that snow ice and salt taste good!

Fly2crawl

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I know the automatic transmission is way better than the manual transmission. I’m seeing the new 392 rubicon is offered in automatic only and I’m not saying I’ll be getting one anytime soon. I’ve been driving manual for a long time to a point where driving an automatic is uncomfortable for me because my foot is constantly reaching for a clutch pedal that’s not there and my hand is constantly going for a gear change that’s unnecessary. Just out of curiosity how many of you out here made the switch to automatic from manual and if you have any regrets or love it better?
I miss the manual. This JL is my 4th Wrangler. I've had 2 TJ's and a JK and all had a manual. When I went to buy a Rubicon no one around had any manuals and I test drove it and the automatic is a good transmission. I terribly miss the manual though and this spring I'm going to trade my '19 in and special order a new one with the manual.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I miss the manual. This JL is my 4th Wrangler. I've had 2 TJ's and a JK and all had a manual. When I went to buy a Rubicon no one around had any manuals and I test drove it and the automatic is a good transmission. I terribly miss the manual though and this spring I'm going to trade my '19 in and special order a new one with the manual.
Finally, on post #132, someone that regrets getting the automatic. Guess them autos are pretty durn good after all. :like:

Later,
Johnny

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Finally, on post #132, someone that regrets getting the automatic. Guess them autos are pretty durn good after all. :like:

Later,
Johnny
The auto is fantastic all around and begrudgingly superior in most any criteria.
BUT, even on 37s and stock gears, I can chirp the tires into 2nd and even 3rd at near 55 mph. How much joy are you willing to sacrifice for refinement?

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I have always had manual everything this was everything I wanted (it was used and a great price) and an automatic and I love it, I am in the habit of driving it in manual 98% of the time the other 2% is when I have to hold someone's hand, or a beer.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Giving it more gas just results in more RPM, not really much increase in wheel speed. You need a higher gear and that's not something you're going to be able to shift into on a 20' waterfall face. Gear selection becomes even more problematic if the base of the climb is littered with large boulders.
This is 100% my only issue with the manual. The other 99.9% time I offroad it's not an issue.

I don't crawl up many 20' waterfall faces but I'm getting around this by other means with the Tazer JL's options like f/r locked in 4hi etc

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The ZF 8-speed is one of the best torque converter automatic transmissions made. It is a excellent match for the Wrangler with any engine choice. In my opinion it would be a mistake not to get it. ZERO regrets.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
I'm a stick guy. My 98 TJ is a 2.5/five speed, 33" tires 4.88 gears, 3.5" lift, etc. You need a stick shift to get all the power you can from the 2.5. And I love my TJ. It is built for 4 wheeling and overlanding. Tons of good memories with it.

But I'm loving the auto tranny in my JLU. Just drove from WA to FL in it. Easy to drive. They nailed it with this 8 speed auto tranny.

Reactions: AFD

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m a stick guy. I am grateful every time I drive my JL that I got a stick.
That is all.
Sponsored