Sponsored

Another TSB steering issue

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hi everyone,

As per the TSB, the dealer changed my aluminum steering box to the new steel one (I’m driving a 2020 Sahara).

However, now after the new steel steering box has been installed, the wandering on the highway got way worse, the dead spot in the steering wheel increased and the Jeep is constantly pulling to the right.

Any ideas what could be the reason and what I should check first to eliminate potential causes?

Cheers
Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
Check to see if your steering wheel is centered. I added Rubicon takeoff suspension and wheels/tires to my wife's Sahara and it did the same thing.
I found it easiest to adjust with an OBD2 reader to get the steering degrees while adjusting. Although you can just get it straight without that.
Here is a thread on steering adjustment after lift. I wonder if it also needs centering after the new steering box:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/centering-steering-wheel-after-lift.41614/

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
What tires are you running? Some have a notable pull left or right. Also does the road have pronounced crown to it.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Make sure everything steering related is tightened to spec. My crap dealer sent me out the door with the box bolts tightened to less than half of spec and a pitman arm nut that wasn't even finger tight.

Here’s the video of how my new dealer found it:

Attachments

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Check and tighten everything yourself, like what's been stated already. My dealer left the intermediate shaft loose and had lots of free play. Tightened another 3/4 turn to resolve it.

OP
OP

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much everyone for all your input.
I will definitely retighten all the bolts. The dealer is pretty shitty so this could very well be the reason.

As for tires, I am running Falken Wildpeaks AT3's.

Any idea why the deadspot in the steering also increased? Could this also be due to not having retightened the bolts and screws properly?

Thanks again!

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
there is a thread on here about getting air out of the steering system. uses a vacuum pump to make a vacuum inside, then let sit overnight. refill fluid and do again.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much everyone for all your input.
I will definitely retighten all the bolts. The dealer is pretty shitty so this could very well be the reason.

As for tires, I am running Falken Wildpeaks AT3's.

Any idea why the deadspot in the steering also increased? Could this also be due to not having retightened the bolts and screws properly?

Thanks again!
The main bolt to check immediately would be the I-shaft bolt. Here is torque spec and location of bolt under hood. There has been reports of additional dead spot when not tighten properly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Another TSB steering issue D5C7986A-3B32-4949-A2C9-84D513C18420
Jeep Wrangler JL Another TSB steering issue A831C649-5DD6-49F0-A8B5-65A750DC1DE8

Pvtpilot

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Mercedes Gl
My first post fellas. I found the forum looking for data on new 2021 Wrangler steering issues. Wow! My lady decided a few weeks back she wanted a Wrangler four door, loaded. We found one she liked. Went to the Dealer with a check. Drove the car. Jesus! White knuckle experience trying to keep it in your lane. I thought something was loose in the front end, told the salesguy and asked to drive a different Wrangler. Same thing. WTH? I asked the sales guy if anyone has complained about steering wander. Nope, never heard of it. So, I do a quick Google search and found tons of data including the TSB. I showed it to the salesman and he said let me take it in the shop and get the software upgrade. We go get some lunch and come back 45 minutes later. Take the Jeep out and it is a little better, but still ridiculous for a new vehicle. The sales guy tried to convince me it’s a Jeep and they all drive like that. I hate it when people think I am an idiot. I am not a spring chicken. I am in my 70’s. The last time I had a Jeep that wandered this bad was a 1955 Willys pickup. If FCA can’t straighten this issue out, heads are going to roll somewhere. :/

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I tightened my box bolts as soon as I got it back, but my dead spot got continually worse as the pitman nut got looser and looser. I didn't even think to check it. However, the looser all the nuts and bolts are, the looser the steering will be.

If its the pitman nut, its a bit difficult to tighten yourself because it requires I think 185 ft/lbs, and the nut is huge. I think it needs a 32 mm or 1-1/4 socket, but don't quote me.

And @hoag4147 is correct, the I-shaft bolt is a known bolt they frequently don't properly tighten.

Reactions: TJP
OP
OP

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the advice folks.

I do have to say though despite the not so optimal steering, I couldn’t picture myself driving anything else but a Wrangler :)

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happened to me. Pitman nut was finger tight and only thing holding it on was sector brace. What a shitty install but now drives tight w sector brace and synergy steering setup.

I tightened my box bolts as soon as I got it back, but my dead spot got continually worse as the pitman nut got looser and looser. I didn't even think to check it. However, the looser all the nuts and bolts are, the looser the steering will be.

If its the pitman nut, its a bit difficult to tighten yourself because it requires I think 185 ft/lbs, and the nut is huge. I think it needs a 32 mm or 1-1/4 socket, but don't quote me.

And @hoag4147 is correct, the I-shaft bolt is a known bolt they frequently don't properly tighten.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Thanks for all the advice folks.

I do have to say though despite the not so optimal steering, I couldn’t picture myself driving anything else but a Wrangler :)
Trust me once you get everything squared away, the steering is significantly better. There's always gonna be some play because its a live front axle and if you have bigger tires (I have 35s), but after the steel box was installed and everything tightened by a competent dealer, it drives much better.
Sponsored