Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I've wondered for a long time what the real cause is.....
* steering box design?
* steering box installation?
* service?

My first dealer (2019 Wrangler) had to replicate the problem and if they couldn't no service. I always heard, "We took a new one out and it was the same. It's a Jeep Thing!" Different in Canada--different company. FCA Jeep Canada Customer Service became helpful when I got the rep's attention.

Rubicon is so much better! I'm grateful.
In my case (2019 Sport S) the problem was apparently the steering box material/design...the aluminum steering box seemed to be very temperature sensitive.

Sounds weird, but the steering felt OK in cold weather, but became very sloppy in warm conditions. I could drive to work in the AM, steering felt fine; later the same day, same road, the Jeep would wander all over the lane.

I had the replacement (non-aluminum) steering box installed per the TSB, and the steering has been great, no other changes to steering/suspension components. :like:
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
In my case (2019 Sport S) the problem was apparently the steering box material/design...the aluminum steering box seemed to be very temperature sensitive.

Sounds weird, but the steering felt OK in cold weather, but became very sloppy in warm conditions. I could drive to work in the AM, steering felt fine; later the same day, same road, the Jeep would wander all over the lane.

I had the replacement (non-aluminum) steering box installed per the TSB, and the steering has been great, no other changes to steering/suspension components. :like:
x2, only problem I had w/ our Aluminum box was a couple long drives at 100+ temps, since the cast iron box was changed out never any high temp issues.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Since new, my 2019 Rubicon Unlimited had a steering pull to the right. My localJeep dealer replaced the steering box (when they were tough to get a hold of) but the situation got worst. Took it back and a day later told me they replaced the replacement box with a new one. My Rubicon has always and still pulls to the right. I've taken if back numerous to times only to be told that the alignment, the tires, the big tires have that tendency. I beg to differ. Could a new replaced steering box go bad? I got my Jeep in 2019 and this has been ongoing since then. Please advise.
Hello, nfran2. We would like to dig into your concerns further. Please send our team a private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Jimmylats JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep TJ willys, 2018 rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Does the 68507569aa steering box fit all 4 door wranglers. I am looking to order one and the website says it does not fit mine. 2018 4 door Rubicon 3.6 automatic.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Does the 68507569aa steering box fit all 4 door wranglers. I am looking to order one and the website says it does not fit mine. 2018 4 door Rubicon 3.6 automatic.
Don't quote me on this but the latest part number for the box for a four door gasser may be 68551684AB.

Sponsored

Robertyoke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jlu rubicon
Clubs

Don't quote me on this but the latest part number for the box for a four door gasser may be 68551684AB.
Its now AE as its been superseded a couple more times apparently, I just ordered one yesterday.
Finding the bolts (6513396AA) seems to be the tricky part, as they are now discontinued and no update part given. I called my local dealer they had them on hand.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Its now AE as its been superseded a couple more times apparently, I just ordered one yesterday.
Finding the bolts (6513396AA) seems to be the tricky part, as they are now discontinued and no update part given. I called my local dealer they had them on hand.
You could also source them from a hardware store or online. I think they are possibly grade 10 but may be grade 8.

Jimmylats JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep TJ willys, 2018 rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the steel steering box?

Robertyoke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jlu rubicon
Clubs

Yes it the steel upgraded box that should have been on there from the get go, instead of this pos aluminum one.
You could also source them from a hardware store or online. I think they are possibly grade 10 but may be grade 8.
I think they are metric 12.9 destination, but they look like they are a shoulder bolt or have a step from the thread to the head. I really didn't want to play the go to ace hardware 3 times game or find out they are actually a special bolt that has a stepped shoulder to save a few $$ when the dealer had them in stock. I guess ill find out when the box comes in next week.
Sponsored