Advice needed about cargo area shelf

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I installed a FabTech shelf. I replaced the Freedom Top torx bolts with T-handle metric bolts for quick removal of the shelf. The shelf is higher than the tub rim...so you loose some storage space above but gain vertical space below. I installed an ARB fridge on one side and use an air mattress plus sleeping bag on the other.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
hey actually they ship from Ontario CA
got the package today ( 1 day frrom Ontario CA ) and already installed on my JLU
quality is ok and saves lot of space on my cargo area :)
Oh good. How about rattling? Any issues with that?

Edit: I also got mine today. There are no instructions. Rather than to reinvent the wheel, do you have any tips on installing it?

Last edited:

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Oh good. How about rattling? Any issues with that?

Edit: I also got mine today. There are no instructions. Rather than to reinvent the wheel, do you have any tips on installing it?
no rattling at all

install the side brakets first , and then put the basket and hold with screws first :)

i def like this product

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
no rattling at all

install the side brakets first , and then put the basket and hold with screws first :)

i def like this product
Yeah... I figured it out. It was really no instruction needed-I first thought it was going to be difficult but turned out to be nothing to it!! Thanks!! So far it's really nicely sturdy. Am thinking about cutting a mat (perhaps a yoga mat as someone suggested above) and put it at the bottom of it. Thanks for suggesting this shelf!

250brider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yeah... I figured it out. It was really no instruction needed-I first thought it was going to be difficult but turned out to be nothing to it!! Thanks!! So far it's really nicely sturdy. Am thinking about cutting a mat (perhaps a yoga mat as someone suggested above) and put it at the bottom of it. Thanks for suggesting this shelf!
Is this unit height adjustable? How much room is there below it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Is this unit height adjustable? How much room is there below it?
It's not adjustable - I'll take a picture of the setup tomorrow and measure the distance. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Any noises etc from this? Looks like a nice height to me. Thanks for the pic.
No problem. I don't have any rattles but there is metallic noise of the entire thing. I cutup a yoga mat to size and laid it at the bottom and that helped dampen the metallic noise--which was very subtle to begin with.
Disclaimer: I am OCD and so any noise bugs me - at time I hear noise that my wife hasn't even noticed. So hear everything I say about noise from that prism :like:.

Sponsored

250brider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I make my kids and wife crawl around our vehicles pinpointing every little sound. I feel you on the OCD about sound.

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I installed a FabTech shelf. I replaced the Freedom Top torx bolts with T-handle metric bolts for quick removal of the shelf. The shelf is higher than the tub rim...so you loose some storage space above but gain vertical space below. I installed an ARB fridge on one side and use an air mattress plus sleeping bag on the other.
Think the fabtech shelf could be easily modified to double as a method to secure the cargo area from thieves? Mainly concerned about people reaching in and grabbing stuff, less so about them breaking in and folding the seat down etc.

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Think the fabtech shelf could be easily modified to double as a method to secure the cargo area from thieves? Mainly concerned about people reaching in and grabbing stuff, less so about them breaking in and folding the seat down etc.
Also, does it work with and without the hardtop on the truck?

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Also, does it work with and without the hardtop on the truck?
I don't know. I don't have a soft top. But you have to remove it before removing the hard top and so you have the option of not installing it back if it doesn't work with the soft top--but that may not be ideal.

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I didn't get to actually measure but I think these images gives you an idea about the height:

IMG_1874.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg
Can you post photos with the trunk door closed, and preferably top off? Does it prevent people from reaching in to the cargo area when the top is off? Thanks.
Sponsored