Sponsored

adjusting the clock constantly?

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
My base radio loses about 2-3 minutes a month. My mechanical watch is more accurate.
2 minutes per month works out to a 50ppm crystal - maybe a 5 cent part. For another 25 cents, a 5ppm crystal would lose about 10 seconds over the same period. For 100k unit volume over all models, some bean counter saved $25k. Roughly. Seems like a poor quality decision to me as the time of day is very visible to the customer.
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Lol, I'm going to have to call shenanigans on that. There is effectivly an entire industry in place to mitigate the technological limitations that cause clocks to drift, and to provide accurate/consistent time where 1 second is exactly 1 second, and I can guarantee you, your cars do not have the technology required to do it. No car does. Maybe your cars didn't drift as much or as fast as the JL (thats entirely possible, and not far fetched in the least), but I can assure you, every single consumer grade digital clock drifts. Its only a matter of how fast/slow) its a technological limitation. The 8.4 head units, people will argue don't drift, but they do... However instead of using the internal clock, you can set it to regularly synchronize the time it displays with the time it receives from the GPS satellites (which wont drift), leaving people to mistakenly state or claim they don't drift when in reality, they are getting their time corrected multiple times a day, so they appear to never drift. remove the GPS satellites, and the 8.4 inch headunits will drift like the others.

The more expensive digital watches (think $800+) have switched to being synchronized off the atomic clock, either via GPS signals or using other over the air technology, because even an 800$ watch will drift without being synchronized regularly.

The most expensive iphone 47 or whatever they are up to now, drifts too, and will receive time synchronization signals from your cell carrier.

Servers, and computers, that run banking institutes, wall street, DoD, NSA, you name it, where exact time in is critical, ALL drift. To combat that, they implement technology called an NTP server. That server receives time synchronization signals (over the air for example, similar to receiving your time from a GPS signal), because yes, even the fanciest, most expensive servers, drift and cannot keep exact times....

All that varies is how much/how fast. If you are fortunate and a high quality crystal is used, its maybe a minute a year. If you are unfortunate its a lot more.
Just stating my experience. I'm not concerned with "drift". My clock in my '12 JK losses 7.5 minutes per month. I wouldn't consider that to be "drift". None of my other vehicles clocks lose time enough for me to bother to reset them.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I used to have a Ford Escape. We switch into or out of daylight saving every six months, so I had to re-set the clock. At the end of 6 months it was always out by 6 mins!

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
It happens on almost all digital and analog clocks (including high-end watches) that are either not synced to a GPS signal or a real-time clock (what computers on a network use to stay synced). My company sells timing solutions that help companies keep vital assets synced, including some that go down to a millionth of a second or less.

I wouldn’t blame FCA for this one, as it is normal. You only have to lose a couple of seconds a day to throw off clocks. They could link it to your phone, so that it updates each time you sync.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The electric analog clock in my 1974 Z-28 Camaro used to be off by a few minutes a month. My watch at the time was a self-winding diver watch that I had to call the "time" number every few weeks to set. My current 14 GMC (with gps) looses a few minutes in 6 months. I dunno what the Jeep clock does. But I don't use it for any trans-planetary rocket launches, as I have other time sources for that, so I don't much care.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It seems like every few months I have to readjust my clock because it loses a few minutes. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?
it definitely too slow on mine ..wish there was a adjustment.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It's not a jeep issue, it's a digital clock issue... All digital clocks have the issue (some drift more, some drift less, but they all drift). Don't blame jeep for a technology limitation. There is a reason the atomic time clocks are a big deal, and there's a reason they broadcast time signals. Sadly, they tried to keep the base headunit barebones.
Yeah but the point is that they drift way more then any other clocks and head unit ...what other unit that u know of has to have time changed every two weeks?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The slow clock in my 5" radio was fixed with TSB 08-017-21, three weeks now and no loss of time.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
It seems like every few months I have to readjust my clock because it loses a few minutes. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?
Are you keeping it wound?

Micky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
between smart watches, phones, computers, does it really matter. just ride

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

between smart watches, phones, computers, does it really matter. just ride
Yes, it matters. Something as simple as a clock should work properly on a brand new vehicle.

petar7408

First Name
Petar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
My 5" radio kept losing time as well!! It was so annoying to add a few minutes every month or two. I just upgraded to the 7" so hopefully that is better

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My 5" radio kept losing time as well!! It was so annoying to add a few minutes every month or two. I just upgraded to the 7" so hopefully that is better
There is a firmware update that fixes the time loss with the 5" radio.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I just turned it all off after fixing it about 4 times and it wouldn't stick. It doesn't make sense that it would be so bad. My collection of watches don't ever have that much drift - digital, atomic (outdated), analogue, or GPS (most accurate), or smart. 5" Sport here. So I use my phone on a dash mount.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Yes I have the same problem and No I don't know of a fix.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored