donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
It's not a jeep issue, it's a digital clock issue... All digital clocks have the issue (some drift more, some drift less, but they all drift). Don't blame jeep for a technology limitation. There is a reason the atomic time clocks are a big deal, and there's a reason they broadcast time signals. Sadly, they tried to keep the base headunit barebones.
Out of all of the vehicles I've owned that had digital clocks, all have been spot on with no noticable loss of time. Only my '12 JK Wrangler looses time.

OP
OP

DMortensen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Well at least I know that I’m not the only one. Frustrating that Jeep hasn’t bothered to fix it.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
5' radio loses time every week. The UConnect in my JK never lost time.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I haven't looked, but does the 5" radio have the SAT antenna connector?
It does if you have SiriusXM. However, the 5 inch radio has no provision to pull time from it. The other Uconnect radios can sync time from GPS, not satellite.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Out of all of the vehicles I've owned that had digital clocks, all have been spot on with no noticable loss of time. Only my '12 JK Wrangler looses time.
Most processor electronics are clocked by a crystal oscillator. They’re a graded part, sold by “parts per million” of cycles lost or gained over something perfect, over some temperature range. Cost differences are small, so I agree it’s petty and annoying to lose more than a minute every 6 months when you have to change clocks anyway. If you were savy and interested, you could likely swap the part.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

It seems like every few months I have to readjust my clock because it loses a few minutes. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?
Set it to sync time via the GPS signal. Set and done, it will even auto-update based on time zones.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

The JK's have the same issue. I'm surprised Jeep didn't figure out a fix for the JL's.
There isn't really a "fix". Crystal oscillators have some drift, even though they are widely more accurate than mechanical timepieces. If you're old enough, you likely remember the advent of "quartz movement" watches, and digital watches. Less expensive, and supremely more accurate than anything but the most expensive mechanical movments.

That being said, voltage fluctuations can affect the accuracy as well. Car stereos just happen to be one of those almost worse case scenarios. Set it to sync via GPS, and you're set.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There isn't really a "fix". Crystal oscillators have some drift, even though they are widely more accurate than mechanical timepieces. If you're old enough, you likely remember the advent of "quartz movement" watches, and digital watches. Less expensive, and supremely more accurate than anything but the most expensive mechanical movments.

That being said, voltage fluctuations can affect the accuracy as well. Car stereos just happen to be one of those almost worse case scenarios. Set it to sync via GPS, and you're set.
I read there was a Jeep "fix" for the drifting clock, found the URL:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...the-clock-not-keeping-time.12745/#post-309267

If your head unit supports the SiriuxXM antenna, it fixed the problem for me, clock no longer drifts, and I now have the compas working.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Lol, I'm going to have to call shenanigans on that. There is effectivly an entire industry in place to mitigate the technological limitations that cause clocks to drift, and to provide accurate/consistent time where 1 second is exactly 1 second, and I can guarantee you, your cars do not have the technology required to do it. No car does. Maybe your cars didn't drift as much or as fast as the JL (thats entirely possible, and not far fetched in the least), but I can assure you, every single consumer grade digital clock drifts. Its only a matter of how fast/slow) its a technological limitation. The 8.4 head units, people will argue don't drift, but they do... However instead of using the internal clock, you can set it to regularly synchronize the time it displays with the time it receives from the GPS satellites (which wont drift), leaving people to mistakenly state or claim they don't drift when in reality, they are getting their time corrected multiple times a day, so they appear to never drift. remove the GPS satellites, and the 8.4 inch headunits will drift like the others.

The more expensive digital watches (think $800+) have switched to being synchronized off the atomic clock, either via GPS signals or using other over the air technology, because even an 800$ watch will drift without being synchronized regularly.

The most expensive iphone 47 or whatever they are up to now, drifts too, and will receive time synchronization signals from your cell carrier.

Servers, and computers, that run banking institutes, wall street, DoD, NSA, you name it, where exact time in is critical, ALL drift. To combat that, they implement technology called an NTP server. That server receives time synchronization signals (over the air for example, similar to receiving your time from a GPS signal), because yes, even the fanciest, most expensive servers, drift and cannot keep exact times....

All that varies is how much/how fast. If you are fortunate and a high quality crystal is used, its maybe a minute a year. If you are unfortunate its a lot more.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The more expensive digital watches (think $800+) have switched to being synchronized off the atomic clock, either via GPS signals or using other over the air technology, because even an 800$ watch will drift without being synchronized regularly.
Heck, even a cheap $30 Casio has atomic timekeeping nowadays on some of their models.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My base radio loses about 2-3 minutes a month. My mechanical watch is more accurate.
Sponsored