Sponsored

A simple warning about your poorly designed diff drain bolt.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Tack the drain plug in or skid it.

Note that in 2hi nothing up front should spin, so if you're aware of the condition (leak) running in 2hi whenever possible on the trail will get ya out just fine. I'd have no qualms about using 4wd as needed on obstacles, there's just not enough speed or heat generated to hurt much. The only problem I'd see is if you were facing miles of muddy or sandy terrain where you had to use 4wd just to get off the trail, and this is assuming you've lost ALL your gear oil
In 2H the ring and pinion don't turn because of the FAD, but you do have movement in the driver axle, passenger inner stub axle, and the side and spider gears inside the differential. Bad things will still happen in 2H without gear oil.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So y

So your rear axle was damaged? Do they make a decent rear skid as well as the front for the Sahara's?
Yep, rear axle was cooked. She now sits on brand new Dana 44s with 4.10s and lockers, purchased right from teh dealer and came with a 2 year warranty.
From what I can tell there are none for the Sahara or SPart axles. All the skids I have seen are for D44s only. You could call @RanchoShocks and see if they have any plans to make diff skids for non D44 axles.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Any ideas on what we can do about the front?
@rancho makes both front and rear diff skids for the D44 axles. They are on the wish list... with a ton of other stuff :)

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@rancho makes both front and rear diff skids for the D44 axles. They are on the wish list... with a ton of other stuff :)
I ordered the Rancho for the front a few days ago & it shipped yesterday. You were my...inspiration.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I ordered the Rancho for the front a few days ago & it shipped yesterday. You were my...inspiration.
And you inspired me! I ordered the front skid today. Fingers crossed it gets here in time to install before I go crawl over rocks in a week or so.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
And you inspired me! I ordered the front skid today. Fingers crossed it gets here in time to install before I go crawl over rocks in a week or so.
Fantastic... Turnaround time for me to get the shipping notice was less than a week. Hopefully the same for you.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Yep, rear axle was cooked. She now sits on brand new Dana 44s with 4.10s and lockers, purchased right from teh dealer and came with a 2 year warranty.
From what I can tell there are none for the Sahara or SPart axles. All the skids I have seen are for D44s only. You could call @RanchoShocks and see if they have any plans to make diff skids for non D44 axles.
Thanks for the input, sounds like someones missing a marketing opportunity.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! May my life be a warning my friend.

I was actually thinking about your Jeep and the pics you posted of the MC skid system. There is only one thing left that you haven't covered... the curly Q exhaust. Skid Row Off Road makes a plate for $100 you may be interested in. I've talked with the owner and his helper and they are great people and make a great product. I have their oil/tranny skid on my LJ and it is SOLID.

https://www.skidrowoffroad.com/prod...nt/skid-plates-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-present/

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

I was actually thinking about your Jeep and the pics you posted of the MC skid system. There is only one thing left that you haven't covered... the curly Q exhaust. Skid Row Off Road makes a plate for $100 you may be interested in. I've talked with the owner and his helper and they are great people and make a great product. I have their oil/tranny skid on my LJ and it is SOLID.
I have a feeling this is gonna end up at my door soon. Thank you for this... it certainly looks like another must-have. I wouldn't have thought about it.

Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
For whatever reason, this thread convinced me to get a Rancho plate for the front diff due to the copious amount of road debris where I live. I call it the NAFTA effect. The plate arrived today and was installed today.

Question. Did you guy/gals tighten the U-bolt nuts to 15 ft lbs per the instructions? Seemed to put stress on the plate so I went snug plus half a turn and called it a day. The cover bolts got torqued to the suggested 25 ft lbs.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

https://www.skidrowoffroad.com/prod...nt/skid-plates-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-present/
i have that skid row plate. it is solid, literally. super easy install. you have to delete the trans crossmember but that thing is ridiculously weak anyways.

for the rear you can get the Rancho skid plate which is axle specific or the Metal Cloak skid if you have the M220 rear axle
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-m220-rear-differential-skid-plate-dsp.html

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i have that skid row plate. it is solid, literally. super easy install. you have to delete the trans crossmember but that thing is ridiculously weak anyways.

for the rear you can get the Rancho skid plate which is axle specific or the Metal Cloak skid if you have the M220 rear axle
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-m220-rear-differential-skid-plate-dsp.html
Oh, I didn't know you need to delete that crossmember. I actually don't like that idea, personally that bar has saved me from serious damage.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
For whatever reason, this thread convinced me to get a Rancho plate for the front diff due to the copious amount of road debris where I live. I call it the NAFTA effect. The plate arrived today and was installed today.

Question. Did you guy/gals tighten the U-bolt nuts to 15 ft lbs per the instructions? Seemed to put stress on the plate so I went snug plus half a turn and called it a day. The cover bolts got torqued to the suggested 25 ft lbs.
I just wrist tightened them and never looked at them again, lots of wheeling and road miles.