A self evaluation into jeeping

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
When I went to pick up the '21, 4 salesmen gathered around the TJ while I was inside. The fact that it was still stock (I put 31s on it, but no lift, no rub) amazed them. Of course, when I walked up behind them, I had to ask "what's it gonna take to get you boys into this Jeep today?".

I've seen them going for $20k in Florida. Don't know if they're selling that high, but folks are asking.
I'm also shocked you stayed stock this long! My 98 sport has had a few sets of everything under it. Transmission and seats are stock and untouched :) (there's more...but so much was replaced it's not funny). That's part of why I got the rubicon. I knew where I would end up, and the stock axles will handle my 37s. Any other model and I would need a front axle, regear (which I may do even now) and lockers. I'd likely have been an idiot and gone 60s...so it would add up so much more. The JL was purchased so I could drive and wheel. I'd be annoyed if I made it not drive well. For me, the price jump was worth it. It sort of stopped me from going too far in a way.

I don't think anyone is getting $20k for a TJ...but an LJ I have seen sell there. It's funny if my TJ was stock I could probably get an easy $9k and I paid $19K off the lot when it was new.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I bought a new Rubicon because ones that were 5 years old with 60,000 miles on them were about 6 grand less than what I paid for my Rubicon that I ordered and it would still have a warranty and be a new vehicle.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The way I see it the money I spend on my Jeep is what I allocate for two different buckets:

1 - Transportation

2 - Entertainment

Someone can buy a Prius for transportation and spend many thousands/year on cruise ships, vacation air travel, golf club memberships, going to plays and concerts, whatever.

Me? I spend good money on my Jeep and I have entertainment together with transportation.

Same thing with my other vehicle - a sports car for fun, track days, and secondary transportation.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'm also shocked you stayed stock this long! My 98 sport has had a few sets of everything under it. Transmission and seats are stock and untouched :) (there's more...but so much was replaced it's not funny). That's part of why I got the rubicon. I knew where I would end up, and the stock axles will handle my 37s. Any other model and I would need a front axle, regear (which I may do even now) and lockers. I'd likely have been an idiot and gone 60s...so it would add up so much more. The JL was purchased so I could drive and wheel. I'd be annoyed if I made it not drive well. For me, the price jump was worth it. It sort of stopped me from going too far in a way.

I don't think anyone is getting $20k for a TJ...but an LJ I have seen sell there. It's funny if my TJ was stock I could probably get an easy $9k and I paid $19K off the lot when it was new.
You're correct. I've seen the Long Jeep go for $20k, but not the Tiny Jeep. I always group those together as TJ.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Any alignment jocks can tell me which way to go with that axle to get thrust angle in the green?

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
When I was Jeep shopping last winter, I was convinced that I wanted a Rubicon. But I didn't want to spend the $ that would require. I figured a lesser model would still take me on the trails I had in mind. So, got an 80th Edition because it had the right options in that pkg and I could afford to include LSD, rock rails, mount 33s on it and equip it with quick disconnects.

Took it on a number of difficult trails in Moab back in October. Still awaiting some badges of honor for a couple of 'em.

It's capable enough for my kind of off roading.

That said, if money wasn't a concern, I would have gone with the Rubi. ;)

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
In 2013, I bought a sport (not even a sport S) because I didn’t know if I was going to like the Jeep life style. The next 8 years I added a 2.5 “ lift, 35’s, locked up the rear, 8 arm adjustable suspension and a very long list of other upgrades. 6 weeks ago I ordered my 22 rubicon

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
In 2013, I bought a sport (not even a sport S) because I didn’t know if I was going to like the Jeep life style. The next 8 years I added a 2.5 “ lift, 35’s, locked up the rear, 8 arm adjustable suspension and a very long list of other upgrades. 6 weeks ago I ordered my 22 rubicon
You would be surprised how often this happens.

Not everyone knows how he will use his Jeep before he makes a purchase. I have read too many posts from people crying in their beer.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yes I know. That's why I conclude. My , your Jeep is plenty capable. And it is important to realize maybe it is time to stop. A Rubicon would have come out more expensive than my current Jeep, and I would be doing the same trails.

I've done many hobbies "sports". Skiing, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Hiking, Hunting. I tend to be the person who keeps pushing boundaries. For example, skiing started as going to a ski resort and renting a pair of crappy skies. And it ended with me owning backcountry skiing gear, including boots and crampons, climbing mountains and taking backcountry trails. Rock climbing started with me going to the local climbing gym, and ended with me leading sport climb routes and even trad climbing.

The thing is, with all these hobbies I have set boundaries. Those boundaries have been set because I don't want to hurt myself badly, and never money. I realized I needed to stop pushing the skiing the day I broke my ribs on a bad fall, in the middle of the backcountry an hr before dark. With rock climbing it was the day I slipped before the first bolt, broke my foot and cracked my helmet. could've been worst. The gear for these sports is a fraction of Jeep's gear.
I can empathize with the all or nothing mentality and spending more $ and time than you thought on jeep mods. I had a legit case of the mod/wheeling bug for 2+ yrs with my jlu sport s heavily modded into a built Rubicon on 37s. The jeep was becoming part of my identity, annoying my wife and promoting materialism for our kids. It was also a headache taking it to dealer for warranty work.

I finally took a step back and concluded it was going to be a never ending $/time suck and sold it a year ago. It's been a good decision...The key is filling the jeep void with a less expensive hobby that's healthy. Best of luck with your jeep.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I can empathize with the all or nothing mentality and spending more $ and time than you thought on jeep mods. I had a legit case of the mod/wheeling bug for 2+ yrs with my jlu sport s heavily modded into a built Rubicon on 37s. The jeep was becoming part of my identity, annoying my wife and promoting materialism for our kids. It was also a headache taking it to dealer for warranty work.

I finally took a step back and concluded it was going to be a never ending $/time suck and sold it a year ago. It's been a good decision...The key is filling the jeep void with a less expensive hobby that's healthy. Best of luck with your jeep.
Hey Matt,
Good thing you got out when you did, it’s no longer a Jeep forum, it’s now a “ how many ways can I say the same shit about a bronco in 20 different threads” forum……:facepalm:

Last edited:

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation

hookers and blow might be cheaper hobby if you don't include the cost of a divorce and jacked up kids. Better buy another Jeep and save yourself.

You could always buy a horse if you want a real expensive hobby. A horse makes a Jeep look like a hobby for peasants.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
hookers and blow might be cheaper hobby if you don't include the cost of a divorce and jacked up kids. Better buy another Jeep and save yourself.

You could always buy a horse if you want a real expensive hobby. A horse makes a Jeep look like a hobby for peasants.
My neighbor has a horse for his kid. His estimate was that it costs him $3k/mo. That nearly my mortgage 😳😳😳

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Yes Ted!! I dated this chick back in the 80's that owned a horse and rented stables for it. At that time it was over 3K a month for food, vet, care and housing for the beast.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If I were to do it all over again, I might still do the Mopar lift but refrain from going to 35s.

The Jeep was much happier on 33s (275/70R18): it drove and rode much better, and returned decent fuel economy. Around town the Jeep feels a bit lumbering on 35s, and the fuel economy is simply atrocious. I lowered the PSI down to 32, which has helped the ride a little, but the overall drive still feels ungainly.

Of course, the flip side is that on 35s the Jeep eats the trails like nothing.

I’ve been trying to downsize to 34s (285/75R17) for two months now, but the tires are still on backorder.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Yes Ted!! I dated this chick back in the 80's that owned a horse and rented stables for it. At that time it was over 3K a month for food, vet, care and housing for the beast.
My wife at one time was spending $800 a month on board, then you add in the diesel truck, the horse trailer, the motorhome, the fairier, the vet bills, the bug spray, horse vitamins, dental cleaning, and yearly shots and so on, and don't forget all the tack. Saddles at $4000, $200 sale blankets. I am sure I am missing things, like $1000 weekend of horse camping and horse trail rinding. Made Jeeping look like a very cheap and affordable hobby.
Sponsored