Sponsored

8 Adjustable Control Arms, what settings?

Jmscrttndn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello,

I recently got my set of Clayton adjustable control arms. I have all 8 to install. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had some good tips on where to start when installing in terms of control arm length, (pinion / caster) angles. My initial thoughts were to try to set the lowers a little longer than stock to re-centre my wheels after a 3" lift, then dial in the upper for about 6 degrees of caster up front... and the rear for 0 or 1 degrees of pinion angle.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Hello,

I recently got my set of Clayton adjustable control arms. I have all 8 to install. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had some good tips on where to start when installing in terms of control arm length, (pinion / caster) angles. My initial thoughts were to try to set the lowers a little longer than stock to re-centre my wheels after a 3" lift, then dial in the upper for about 6 degrees of caster up front... and the rear for 0 or 1 degrees of pinion angle.

Clayton has recommended lengths on their site, they are pretty close to where they need to be.

OP
OP
Jmscrttndn

Jmscrttndn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clayton has recommended lengths on their site, they are pretty close to where they need to be.
All I see is min, max, and stock. Not a recommended.

• COR-1709100 - JL FRONT LOWERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 24.000"
    • Center to Center MIN = 23.9375"
    • Center to Center MAX = 24.880"
  • COR-1709101 - JL FRONT UPPERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 21.100"
    • Center to Center MIN = 19.130"
    • Center to Center MAX = 22.283"
  • COR-1709102 - JK/JL REAR LOWERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 19.764"
    • Center to Center MIN = 19.686"
    • Center to Center MAX = 20.566"
  • COR-1709103 - JK/JL REAR UPPERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 17.425"
    • Center to Center MIN = 17.290"
    • Center to Center MAX = 18.665"

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
All I see is min, max, and stock. Not a recommended.

• COR-1709100 - JL FRONT LOWERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 24.000"
    • Center to Center MIN = 23.9375"
    • Center to Center MAX = 24.880"
  • COR-1709101 - JL FRONT UPPERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 21.100"
    • Center to Center MIN = 19.130"
    • Center to Center MAX = 22.283"
  • COR-1709102 - JK/JL REAR LOWERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 19.764"
    • Center to Center MIN = 19.686"
    • Center to Center MAX = 20.566"
  • COR-1709103 - JK/JL REAR UPPERS
    • Center to Center STOCK = 17.425"
    • Center to Center MIN = 17.290"
    • Center to Center MAX = 18.665"
It’s in the instructions for the lifts.

346AE7F1-44A0-41E3-A9EA-486D9EB24EAD.jpeg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Mine is setup with front uppers at 20”, front lowers at 24-5/8”. The rear uppers are 17-3/4” and rear lowers are at 20-1/4”. This is with 37s. For the rear, I chose to center my wheel in the well because I don’t like the look of the rear wheels on stock rigs, to far forward.

If you choose to do this you’ll have to get rid of plastic inner liner behind the wheel, or shape it with heat gun. Depending on how you set up your bump stops and the travel of your shocks, you may have to trim pinch seam, which is what I decided to do, because I’m after maximum articulation. These rear measurements has my pinion between 1-2 degrees , and there’s no bow in rear springs, perfectly straight. The front measurements are set up for between 6-6.5 degrees of caster, and a little longer wheel base. This is how it looks..... and again this is based on 37s, if you have 35s, you’ll have to make some minor adjustments. But this will get you close......

Jeep Wrangler JL 8 Adjustable Control Arms, what settings? 0EA1BCD5-17FB-435C-A515-F15DB9D00ED3

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmscrttndn

Jmscrttndn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It’s in the instructions for the lifts.

Jeep Wrangler JL 8 Adjustable Control Arms, what settings? 0EA1BCD5-17FB-435C-A515-F15DB9D00ED3
Mine is setup with front uppers at 20”, front lowers at 24-5/8”. The rear uppers are 17-3/4” and rear lowers are at 20-1/4”. This is with 37s. For the rear, I chose to center my wheel in the well because I don’t like the look of the rear wheels on stock rigs, to far forward.

If you choose to do this you’ll have to get rid of plastic inner liner behind the wheel, or shape it with heat gun. Depending on how you set up your bump stops and the travel of your shocks, you may have to trim pinch seam, which is what I decided to do, because I’m after maximum articulation. These rear measurements has my pinion between 1-2 degrees , and there’s no bow in rear springs, perfectly straight. The front measurements are set up for between 6-6.5 degrees of caster, and a little longer wheel base. This is how it looks..... and again this is based on 37s, if you have 35s, you’ll have to make some minor adjustments. But this will get you close......

Thanks very much to both of you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m on 37s. This will make everything quite a bit easier. Thanks!

OP
OP
Jmscrttndn

Jmscrttndn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

I did your plan. Rear lower 20.25" but the rear uppers needed a bit more than 17.75" to get the driveshaft to around 0-1 degrees WRT axle housing. I trimmed a touch off the pinch seam behind the tires (the extra lower plastic piece was removed long ago). And it all worked. Thanks so much! Now for the front, another day. The rears didn't really give us any issues but it was a solid 4.5 hours including the install of the rear lower shock mount protective braces, and my OCD wanting to get the control arms torqued so that the frame side and axle side were perfectly in line with one another after torqueing. Thanks!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I did your plan. Rear lower 20.25" but the rear uppers needed a bit more than 17.75" to get the driveshaft to around 0-1 degrees WRT axle housing. I trimmed a touch off the pinch seam behind the tires (the extra lower plastic piece was removed long ago). And it all worked. Thanks so much! Now for the front, another day. The rears didn't really give us any issues but it was a solid 4.5 hours including the install of the rear lower shock mount protective braces, and my OCD wanting to get the control arms torqued so that the frame side and axle side were perfectly in line with one another after torqueing. Thanks!
No problem brother, glad I could help.
Sponsored