dangads895

First Name
Angad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a manual transmission JLU for a while, and the only ones close enough to test drive are Rubicons. I'm talking to a dealer that's not close by and getting a good deal on a Willys, but can't test drive it until i get there.

Is the drive pretty similar between the two? I'm mostly curious if the acceleration feels the same between them, or if the gear ratios make it feel a lot different.
Sponsored

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
Willys or Willys Sport? They added one not too long ago.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Drove both just yesterday while getting an oil change. They feel close to the same to me but I drove two 3.6. with a fully loaded Rubi. They also had different tires... trying to remember what else.. but like I said the ride is very close. Previous poster said do you want lockers, and really those are the things it comes down too along with a much higher price on the Rubi (over 60 on the one I drove!! :CWL:)

Sponsored

OP
OP

dangads895

First Name
Angad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Definitely don't need lockers, and cant afford a Rubicon :LOL: I was more wondering if test driving a manual Rubicon will give me a good idea of what the manual Willys feels like. Hard to find manuals to test drive in different trims

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
Yea. It should be a similar ride. They both have Fox shocks but the willys comes with mud tires. They're smooth once they warm up on the highway. I see the Willys as a budget Rubicon since it has alot of heavy duty features standard and the LED headlights are very nice.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Definitely don't need lockers, and cant afford a Rubicon :LOL: I was more wondering if test driving a manual Rubicon will give me a good idea of what the manual Willys feels like. Hard to find manuals to test drive in different trims
Welllll.... theres a catch to this. I got to drive it around the city. No highway. I think it you were going to really notice a difference it would be on the highway.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Willy's have the same suspension setup and will drive the same. difference will be Willy's will have the short axles with 3.45 gear ratio unless you get the 3.0 diesel option which will have the 3.73 axle ratio to the Rubicons 4.10's and wide axle.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Obviously tires matter so it won't be the same. I don't think you will notice the gearing difference that much on on-road on stock tires. The feel of the shifter and the clutch will of course be the same.

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
First, let me say that I am biased (6 Speed 2020 JLR).

Jeep Wrangler JL 6-Speed Rubicon vs Willys? R2

Looking back, really glad that I special ordered the JLR with just the options I wanted.
Even though a Rubicon may stretch the budget, I think its worth it.
If you go with a bare bones manual JLUR, the cost can be just a little above 41K.
If you are OK with just two doors, a bare bones JLR can be had for under 39K.
Then you can add the options you want later.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I picked up my 6speed JLUR for $38,200. Dealer in Missouri. Their Willys were at the same or higher priced.

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
First, let me say that I am biased (6 Speed 2020 JLR).

Jeep Wrangler JL 6-Speed Rubicon vs Willys? R2

Looking back, really glad that I special ordered the JLR with just the options I wanted.
Even though a Rubicon may stretch the budget, I think its worth it.
If you go with a bare bones manual JLUR, the cost can be just a little above 41K.
If you are OK with just two doors, a bare bones JLR can be had for under 39K.
Then you can add the options you want later.
If you get 7-8% off invoice it can but the prices have gone up on the builder website.