SAE Grade 0W-20 5W20
Viscosity @ 100�C 8.7 8.9
Viscosity @ 40�C 44.8 49.8
Viscosity Index 173 160
HTHS Viscosity 2.7 2.75
Flash Point 224 230
TBN 8.8 NA
MRV @ -40�c 9200 NA

I’m assuming they recommend 0w20 as it’ll be better at start up, which with the ESS, you’d want something that protects the best at lower temps while stationary. Besides that, the difference is negligible. There is no way a sensor would be that sensitive. You’d have to change to a 5w30 I’d assuming and even that would be shocking to be picked up by a sensor.

These sensors you’re speaking of are the ones that tell you oil life. One can only assume it reads the flow rate, temp etc throughout its life to determine its life. So, the negligible difference wouldn’t trip a sensor at all
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
From Mobil website, comparing Mobil 1 0W20 and 5W20:

SAE Grade 0W-20 5W20
Viscosity Index 173 160
HTHS Viscosity 2.7 2.75
Flash Point 224 230
TBN 8.8 NA
MRV @ -40�c 9200 NA

I’m assuming they recommend 0w20 as it’ll be better at start up, which with the ESS, you’d want something that protects the best at lower temps while stationary. Besides that, the difference is negligible. There is no way a sensor would be that sensitive. You’d have to change to a 5w30 I’d assuming and even that would be shocking to be picked up by a sensor.

These sensors you’re speaking of are the ones that tell you oil life. One can only assume it reads the flow rate, temp etc throughout its life to determine its life. So, the negligible difference wouldn’t trip a sensor at all
No I don’t believe he was talking about the oil life sensors .. even though they may have some input .. I will try and get a better understanding

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
@ECHO

Talking .... 0w20 versus 5w20 ... so, you are saying that the vehicle knows the difference between the two... at least that is what you implied earlier.

Don't have the time or inclination to belabor the point. I'm sure other's here will reply to you... 8-)

Yes, I haven't seen it on a JL DTC report, but I have seen it on other JEEP's as for back as 2010.. It will not kick of a check engine light but; will register on the sheet that the Wrong viscosity was used …

I know You don't want to belabor the point.. but; your not always right, maybe you should not be so quick to call people out for wrong information all the time ..[/QUOTE]
Uh Oh

OP
OP

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Settling this “is my Jeep smart enough to detect and log my viscosity?” debate asside, @callerys may want to read through: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-sae-0w-20-truly-best.16372/

Also on topic:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/engine-oil-type-and-amount.13111/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/type-of-oil-from-factory.9412/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-oil-will-you-be-using-in-your-pentastar-v6.2304/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...fferently-from-the-maintenance-schedule.2305/

I stand by my original reply, but the above links will give you plenty of evidence that 5w20 won’t hurt anything. (I’m pretty confident it won’t help anything, that’s for sure.)
Thanks

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Well the bigger question is... if 5w20 is the better oil for the engine here - for whatever reasons, why didn’t Jeep state that in their manuals? Seems like the obvious thing to do to fix a simple problem. But oh well, what do I know?

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
From Mobil website, comparing Mobil 1 0W20 and 5W20:

SAE Grade 0W-20 5W20
Viscosity Index 173 160
HTHS Viscosity 2.7 2.75
Flash Point 224 230
TBN 8.8 NA
MRV @ -40�c 9200 NA

Lol just started reading this and was ready to say I’d take my chances no way in hell these sensors could prove the diff with 5w30 and 0w20, too many other variables.

Fuel dilution from start stop probably affects it more,

Those cases sited are all hypothetical.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
i live in hell ... um i mean Nevada and i still run 0w-20. so unless you live on the sun just use the one that is made for the JL.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I imagine the product review meeting went down like this at FCA headquarters:

Jeep Engineer A: Well, after month of internal testing, I think our team are happy to know that results from our lab in Kuwait are fairly conclusive— we are seeing very promising performance from using 5w20 oil in our new engine...
Jeep Engineer B: Psst! Hey, shhh!
FCA BigBossMan: Toss out the lab results.
Jeep Engineer A: Uh.. Ahem.. We believe that our tests are showing great performance for the longevity for our new engine...
FCA BigBossMan: What did you say son?
Jeep Engineer A: Well.. uh.. according to the numbers we can prolong engine life by 5 y..
FCA BigBossMan: Get out!

Next day..

Jeep Engineer A finds a letter of termination on his desk.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I imagine the product review meeting went down like this at FCA headquarters:

Jeep Engineer A: Well, after month of internal testing, I think our team are happy to know that results from our lab in Kuwait are fairly conclusive— we are seeing very promising performance from using 5w20 oil in our new engine...
Jeep Engineer B: Psst! Hey, shhh!
FCA BigBossMan: Toss out the lab results.
Jeep Engineer A: Uh.. Ahem.. We believe that our tests are showing great performance for the longevity for our new engine...
FCA BigBossMan: What did you say son?
Jeep Engineer A: Well.. uh.. according to the numbers we can prolong engine life by 5 y..
FCA BigBossMan: Get out!

Next day..

Jeep Engineer A finds a letter of termination on his desk.

Nope it was “we might get slightly better mpg with 0w20, the engine may not last as long, dilly, dilly 0w20 it is”

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Nope it was “we might get slightly better mpg with 0w20, the engine may not last as long, dilly, dilly 0w20 it is”
This. Less time in cold start mode, more initial lubrication, slightly less resistance and arguably equal performance at temp. Its quite simple, 5w20 is perfectly fine for the V6

Mntngritz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ JLU, 2014, Frontier Pro4X
We run the 5/20 w/o any issues.
As to the sensor knowing the difference...

Pretty sure there would be a MINIMAL difference between the 0/20 parked outside overnight in the mountains at 0-degrees, and 5/20 parked in the heated garage here at home...
If a cold start, I give the engine a few bits to get stuff flowing before driving just to be safe.

I've yet to get rid of a vehicle before 225k on the ticker, and never had a lubrication issue even then.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
When I read oil viscosity sensor, I thought that poster was completely full of it. Turns out that FCA has used them on their engines (but then deemed it unnecessary in the example I found), but not in the way the poster says. It sounds like it was used for extremely cold weather starts in the example I found, not a system that can determine minor viscosity differences under normal operating conditions:

"When ambient temperatures where below -25°C (-13°F), the viscosity sensor was used by the engine management system to help determine the operational strategy of MultiAir. However, after continuous testing (in the Arctic, no less), it was determined it wasn't needed and subsequently deleted off of later production vehicles.

It is an interesting device and I've included how it worked in the description below.

Oil%252520viscosity.jpg

When the oil temperature is between -25°C (-13°F) and -35°C (-31°F), the engine management system will use the signal from the viscosity sensor to determine the oil viscosity level. If the engine management system determines that the oil viscosity is too low (thick oil), the glow plug light on the instrument panel will flash and a text message appears on the EVIC telling the driver to warm the engine (Canadian cars have a block heater as standard equipment).

During extreme cold starts, colder than -35°C (-31°F), the engine management system will prevent the engine from starting. In this extreme cold condition, the glow plug light on the instrument panel will flash and a text message appears on the EVIC telling the operator to warm the engine (Plugging in the block heater takes care of this).

The viscosity sensor measures the viscosity of the oil with a tuning fork shaped sensor that uses vibration to measure the viscosity. The tuning fork is vibrated at a set frequency for a determined amount of time. When the vibration from the sensor is turned off, the vibration of the sensor that is caused by the surrounding fluid is monitored. The frequency and rate of change of the vibrations reflects the viscosity of the fluid."

There are multiple components contained within the viscosity sensor. In the sensing end (immersed in the oil) is the tuning fork sensor and a thermocouple sensor. These sensors are attached to an integrated circuit (IC) board in the body of the sensor which monitors the sensors. There are two more IC’s in the sensor that provide power management and an output from the viscosity sensor.

The viscosity output from the sensor is provided to the PCM as a hardwired input. The output is a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal that the PCM will recognize and translate into a viscosity value. The viscosity sensor can also provide a temperature output as a PWM signal but at this time, the temperature signal is not used."

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/show...d-oil-viscosity-sensor-on-an-early-2012-Sport

Deleted member 59098

First oil change I bought 5w20 and poured it in. Looked at the 0W20 on oil cap putting it back on. Immediately drove the old ZJ down to get some 0W20 and redid the oil change.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Read up on DTC code P1521. This isn't the current used code, but; yes sensors can detect the effect of using the wrong viscosity and will show on a DTC print out
LOL...what a load of bovine scatology. Someone better tell the engine in my friends Jeep down the street to start throwing codes then...he has been running 0W-40 since it was new and he has over 50K miles on it now with not a single issue.
Sponsored

Reactions: VNT