5w20 vs 0w20

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
I have about 2500miles on my 2019 and it has clatter. Was going to bump the oil to 5w-20 instead of 0w-20 since we are going into warmer weather. Any issues with this?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Manual and oil fill cap both say 0w20. Thousands of R&D hours by Jeep... do what you like, but seems foolish to me.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Manual and oil fill cap both say 0w20. Thousands of R&D hours by Jeep... do what you like, but seems foolish to me.
Not only that, but; your sensors will log wrong viscosity used and if you have a engine warranty issue down the road.. well you know the rest

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not only that, but; your sensors will log wrong viscosity used and if you have a engine warranty issue down the road.. well you know the rest
Fake news... Misinformation.. Will not be the case. Sensors can't tell.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Read up on DTC code P1521. This isn't the current used code, but; yes sensors can detect the effect of using the wrong viscosity and will show on a DTC print out[/QUOTE]

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read up on DTC code P1521. This isn't the current used code, but; yes sensors can detect the effect of using the wrong viscosity and will show on a DTC print out
@ECHO

Talking .... 0w20 versus 5w20 ... so, you are saying that the vehicle knows the difference between the two... at least that is what you implied earlier.

Don't have the time or inclination to belabor the point. I'm sure other's here will reply to you... 8-)

In closing ...Anyone here say they had a code thrown for using 5w20. No ..... I for one have run 5w20 for 16,000 miles and never a code thrown or poor report....

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@ECHO

Talking .... 0w20 versus 5w20 ... so, you are saying that the vehicle knows the difference between the two... at least that is what you implied earlier.

Don't have the time or inclination to belabor the point. I'm sure other's here will reply to you... 8-)

.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I haven't seen it on a JL DTC report, but I have seen it on other JEEP's as for back as 2010.. It will not kick of a check engine light but; will register on the sheet that the Wrong viscosity was used …

I know You don't want to belabor the point.. but; your not always right, maybe you should not be so quick to call people out for wrong information all the time ..

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, I haven't seen it on a JL DTC report, but I have seen it on other JEEP's as for back as 2010.. It will not kick of a check engine light but; will register on the sheet that the Wrong viscosity was used …

I know You don't want to belabor the point.. but; your not always right, maybe you should not be so quick to call people out for wrong information all the time ..
Again, not saying you are wrong in general. I'm saying/said that the JL sensor's will not know you are running either 0w20 or 5w20. Again, we care specifically talking 0w20 or 5w20 as this thread is talking 0w20 or 5w20.

Yes, if incorrect info is posted, I do speak up.. :giggle:[/QUOTE]

I don't need to prove I was wrong, I stand by what I said .. if you disagree that's on you .. but; calling someone out and say I am giving bad information just because that's what you believe … screams liberal wacko

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, not saying you are wrong in general. I'm saying/said that the JL sensor's will not know you are running either 0w20 or 5w20.

Again, we are ... we were specifically talking 0w20 or 5w20 . This thread is talking 0w20 or 5w20.

Yes, if incorrect info is posted, I do speak up.. :giggle:

Reactions: VNT

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Again, not saying you are wrong in general. I'm saying/said that the JL sensor's will not know you are running either 0w20 or 5w20.

Again, we are ... we were specifically talking 0w20 or 5w20 . This thread is talking 0w20 or 5w20.

Yes, if incorrect info is posted, I do speak up.. :giggle:
I don't know that answer to that, to be honest .. The print out's I have seen don't specify what was used.. just that the wrong viscosity was used.. so I would say .. it's at the owners risk.. If you use what's recommended in the manual you can't go wrong.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Settling this “is my Jeep smart enough to detect and log my viscosity?” debate asside, @callerys may want to read through: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-sae-0w-20-truly-best.16372/

Also on topic:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/engine-oil-type-and-amount.13111/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/type-of-oil-from-factory.9412/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-oil-will-you-be-using-in-your-pentastar-v6.2304/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...fferently-from-the-maintenance-schedule.2305/

I stand by my original reply, but the above links will give you plenty of evidence that 5w20 won’t hurt anything. (I’m pretty confident it won’t help anything, that’s for sure.)

Last edited:

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I dont care what oil anybody uses. But I sure would like to know what sensors are in the engine to determine oil viscosity. Because if that is the case, these sensors will be able to give us a much more accurate OCI.

Im not calling anybody out, but if you know something I dont know, Id sure like to learn it.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don.t care what oil anybody uses. But I sure would like to know what sensors are in the engine to determine oil viscosity. Because if that is the case, these sensors will be able to give us a much more accurate OCI.
I had this explained to me by a 30 year FCA Master Tech. There aren't sensors that track the oil type, but; the information provided to the modules from several sensors provide data for the variable timing and part of that data contains pressure and flow rates which can be affected by the category of (Wrong Oil, Wrong Viscosity, Contaminated Oil) Reading through a lot of diagnostic procedures that relate to the 3.6 they appear a lot as possible causes of a number of potential concerns. I know I can't explain it as well as he did. It made more sense when he explained it.... I see a lot of things that come out on the data reports, DTC data as so on .. Just passing on some Potential useful information.
Sponsored