Type of oil from factory?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
What type of oil is in the 3.6 from the factory (blend/full synthetic)? Jeep provides two free oil changes for each of the first two years of ownership. Is there a surcharge for asking for full synthetic?
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I believe they spec 0W-20 for this engine, and that cannot be made in a conventional oil so it has to be a full synthetic.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I believe they spec 0W-20 for this engine, and that cannot be made in a conventional oil so it has to be a full synthetic.
It can be a semi-synthetic, too. My guess is Pennzoil Gold ow20 blend. They'd likely go with whatever supplier can give them 0w20 that meets FCA specs at the lowest cost. Pennzoil Gold would be a good fit under that criteria, and Fiat Chrysler has a strong relationshiop with SOPUS, the parent company of Pennzoil.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I more than likely will let the dealer do the fee oil changes with the free Jeep Wave deal and after that do the changes myself so what’s a good premium oil to use, I know it’s 0W-20 but I don’t want to use cheap oil and my JLU just hit 1K miles and I here some say change the filter at 2000-2500 but dealer advised let it go till oil life indicator tells you to change

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Followup question: What type of oil (blend/full synthetic) did your dealer put in for your 'free oil change'? I always use full synthetic.

Update: what I was trying to get at...what type of oil do dealers provide for the 'free' oil changes?
If only 'blend'...then I will do my own oil changes using synthetic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I more than likely will let the dealer do the fee oil changes with the free Jeep Wave deal and after that do the changes myself so what’s a good premium oil to use, I know it’s 0W-20 but I don’t want to use cheap oil and my JLU just hit 1K miles and I here some say change the filter at 2000-2500 but dealer advised let it go till oil life indicator tells you to change
I've not seen a 0w20 yet that isn't good. Even the Pennzoil synthetic blend will be a good oil. Personally, I prefer Mobil 1 EP or AP, but if I didn't run that I'd look at either Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline. Even Walmart Supertech is good stuff, if made by Warren products. I'm not sure if they've introduced a 0w20 yet, but I'll bet they have. I've run Supertech in my differentials and transfer cases. Again, those are, at least in the midwest, made by Warren.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I only used Pennzoil Platinum in my JK, never an issue. But really, how many oil related failure stories have you actually heard? I'll be getting my freebies then when I do my own it will be Pennzoil Platinum.

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been told by 'experts' that you can switch from regular/synthetic blend oils to pure synthetic oil without a problem. But that you should never switch from pure synthetic back to regular/blend.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I only used Pennzoil Platinum in my JK, never an issue. But really, how many oil related failure stories have you actually heard? I'll be getting my freebies then when I do my own it will be Pennzoil Platinum.
You are right. I've never heard of an oil breaking down and causing an engine to
I have been told by 'experts' that you can switch from regular/synthetic blend oils to pure synthetic oil without a problem. But that you should never switch from pure synthetic back to regular/blend.
That's not true anymore. You can go back and forth, without issue. I've done it many times, including several in my JK. I did used oil analysis several times and they always came back great.

It used to be that synthetic oil would get around old, cracked seals and such, causing leaks, but all reputable oils now have seal conditioners, and the seals are made of much better, MUCH longer lasting material. You can go back and forth with syntheitic and dino as much as your heart's desire. You can mix them, too. You can even mix weights. I don't know why someone would, but people do it all the time.

A synthetic blend is just what it says. It is a mix of synthetic and dino. Use whatever oil you want, and don't worry. The most important thing is to change the oil and filter at the appropriate interval.

I just bought a jug of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20 and a Fram Ultra filter for the next change, which will be at 5,000 miles. I'm at about 4500 now. I may actually take the current run out to 6k miles. I'm getting there quickly! Anyway, I'll let the AP oil stay in there until the oil life monitor gets to zero or until just before I go to Moab, whichever comes first. My OLM is at 67% right now, after changing the factory fill to Mobil 1 EP 0w20 at 2k miles.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Followup question: What type of oil (blend/full synthetic) did your dealer put in for your 'free oil change'? I always use full synthetic.

Update: what I was trying to get at...what type of oil do dealers provide for the 'free' oil changes?
If only 'blend'...then I will do my own oil changes using synthetic.
You will need to ask your dealer what they use as I’m sure it’s not the same for all dealers. Also, some dealers may try to charge extra for full synthetic. Then again, how do you know what they are really putting in your engine when it cones from bulk drums. That’s why I do my own oil.

Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
You will need to ask your dealer what they use as I’m sure it’s not the same for all dealers. Also, some dealers may try to charge extra for full synthetic. Then again, how do you know what they are really putting in your engine when it cones from bulk drums. That’s why I do my own oil.
Jeep only pays for pennzoil/mopar oil. It has to be a specific part# that falls into their prepaid oil changes contracts

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Jeep only pays for pennzoil/mopar oil. It has to be a specific part# that falls into their prepaid oil changes contracts
This is encouraging and good information to know.

Is it same as factory? Full synthetic or blend?

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've run Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 in my 3.6L Trailhawk before trading in for the JLUR. So, I'll run the same. I got a 2+ mpg increase using Pennzoil Ultra as well, for what it's worth.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I have the free oil changes and not using. To save $40.00 and let the dealer do it. LOL I will do it and know what filter and oil is going in and done right.
Sponsored