4WD or Not?

mnforester

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sport Altitude
I have definitely felt the lack of engine braking in my 2.0T! But oh my gosh does it run well! Your comments back up why I started this thread in the first place, glad I’m not alone in feeling little or no braking.
I have definitely felt the lack of engine braking in my 2.0T! But oh my gosh does it run well! Your comments back up why I started this thread in the first place, glad I’m not alone in feeling little or no braking.
Agree, runs great - fun Jeep for sure - glad we upgraded to a Wrangler at the rental counter. And I'm with you, I didn't feel much engine braking.
Sponsored

mnforester

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sport Altitude
@mnforester,
Andrew,

Engine braking certainly depends on many factors such as load, speed and grade. Tire diameter and gearing will also contribute pretty significantly.

As far as my JL experience, I have the 8 speed auto with the stock Sport axles (3.45 M186/M200 combo). I however installed 35's with a 2.5" lift so I'm not purely stock.

What I find is that engine braking works reasonably well at highways speeds in 2WD or 4Hi between 3rd through 5th but not so well at slower speeds. 1st and 2nd can easily handle 15 to 25 mph without redlining but the torque converter really handles any over rev condition quite well. So heavy braking using just the powertrain at lower speeds isn't very effective.

In 4Lo however, the lower 2.72 gear ratio dramatically increases low speed engine braking effectiveness. When in 4Lo I use the engine to brake quite frequently.

Here is my rule of thumb (just me):

In 2WD (or 4Hi):
1. I use engine braking when going downhill on long grades at highway speeds. Pretty effective to control velocity between 35 to 50 mph using 3rd through 5th. Living in Colorado, I do this often.
2. I really enjoy downshifting all over the place (using AutoStick) rather frequently. Fun as hell. It's like having a manual stick without the clutch. This certainly provides engine braking but nowhere near as effective due to the torque converter. Regardless, still quite the blast to still row through the gears. Note that upshifting is not as much fun just because the ZF8 shifts so much better than I generally do. But's it's always there to play with regardless.

4Lo:
I find that I'm rarely ever in 'D' when in 4Lo. I almost always use the engine to brake when I'm off-road. On steep downhill grades I also generally use the Hill-Decent Control feature. I just love controlling speed in 0.7mph increments without having to use the brake pedal. No more riding the brakes (unless absolutely necessary) while transversing down the steepest of grades.

Granted Hill-Decent Control uses the BLD braking system in conjunction with the transmission and drive-by-wire throttle to automatically regulate the downhill speed. But, to the driver it sure 'feels' just like engine braking.

I also am pretty ambidextrous in using both feet. Left for the brake, right for the throttle. But I practice this often. Truthfully I do get lazy on-road and rely mostly on the right foot to do both but off road having open diffs, throttle (and simultaneous brake) control to maintain traction is my primary objective.

So I hope this helps. I'm certainly not saying do it this way yourself. Everyone has their own driving style, so my recommendation is to find what makes you most comfortable. But experiment and find the conditions that feel both correct and natural.

These JL's are pretty awesome machines. Just like a jet pilot, I like to think that I wear my JL like a glove. It just fits me. I love the experience at driving this thing. And really literally being able to go nearly anywhere (at least within some sane reason without having lockers).

Jay
Thanks, Jay, great information. Very helpful.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Jeepoch is right, I've driven all over Colorado with my JLR on 5.13's and a manual. I can count on 2 hands I've needed the front locker. I use the rear a lot more. You can do a lot with just a rear locker.

Then again I'm not running Moab once a month and you never know when you might need the front.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
dcmdon,
I'm not sure if you are asking me (The OP), or someone responding. I haven't said anything about a tire losing traction at all. My question really revolves around overheating the brakes by riding them or using 4Lo and the gear reduction offered by the 4:1 case in my Rubicon to maintain a slow enough speed on badly worn, rutted up Forest Service roads we frequent. Wifey has back issues, and I have pretty severe shoulder issues, so the head-toss is a problem, and sometimes we just want to go slow and see the view. The 2Hi range, even locked in manual and 1st gear is frequently too fast. And at least in my opinion, the engine braking on the 2.0Turbo is pretty non-existent unless I'm running high revs.

J-Frame
Just stick it in 4 Lo and go. On most forest service stuff I usually just drop into 4H, just ‘cause (rather have it than not need it). In the steep stuff 4 L works a treat and you can just putt along.
Sponsored