Sponsored

Engineering Explained: What is the best 4WD system? (video)

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Maybe this is a stupid question, but it's been a long time since I was in physics class: In the first scenario, if the engine is producing 500 lbs*ft and only a total of 40 lbs*ft is getting put to the ground by the wheels, where does all the extra torque go?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Maybe this is a stupid question, but it's been a long time since I was in physics class: In the first scenario, if the engine is producing 500 lbs*ft and only a total of 40 lbs*ft is getting put to the ground by the wheels, where does all the extra torque go?
The slipping wheel limits all the other wheels to putting down an equal amount of torque.

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I don't believe the engine is producing 500 lb-ft of torque in the scenario where wheels are slipping and you have open diffs. Similar to what's going on when you rev the engine in neutral. The engine would over-rev if given enough fuel/air mixture to produce peak power when it has no load.
Sponsored