Sponsored

3 broken wheel studs in 3 weeks

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Pretty sad this still happens when torque sticks have existed for so long. My Discount uses them when putting the wheels back on, even saw them looking up the torque spec.
Sponsored

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
Pretty sad this still happens when torque sticks have existed for so long. My Discount uses them when putting the wheels back on, even saw them looking up the torque spec.
Yeah I finally contacted the shop that caused this mess. Of course they have no answer.
It was a while back in October when the work was done. By the wheel never came off since then until I did the rotation. I watched the tech struggling to remove the lug nut which leads to the simple conclusion that the shop was responsble.

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally I use a snap-on torque wrench and do it myself
I opened a claim with the tire shop that did the rotation. They know me well and said they will provide footage showing they didnt fuck it up. Basically I'm about to make that shops life a living hell. I contacted them and they blew me off. Did I mention that I'm an licensed attorney?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I opened a claim with the tire shop that did the rotation. They know me well and said they will provide footage showing they didnt fuck it up. Basically I'm about to make that shops life a living hell. I contacted them and they blew me off. Did I mention that I'm an licensed attorney?
Give 'em hell!

Sponsored

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to see this happen, keep us posted on what you figure out....personally I haven’t been impressed with anything Dana Spicer has sent me. From ring&pinion sets, master install kits, and of course chromoly shafts like yours there’s been a nice surprise when I open a package from them. This pic is just one example of how poor their quality control is, can’t even press the studs in all the way. Of the 2 shafts that showed up I had 3 studs not pressed, 2 nicked tone rings, and smashed splines.
I’ve had no issues with Yukon brand and will be sticking with them once these parts fail and leave me high and dry just like you :)

74BA31D5-ADD2-4BA2-9717-B4BD19BEF2DA.jpeg

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to see this happen, keep us posted on what you figure out....personally I haven’t been impressed with anything Dana Spicer has sent me. From ring&pinion sets, master install kits, and of course chromoly shafts like yours there’s been a nice surprise when I open a package from them. This pic is just one example of how poor their quality control is, can’t even press the studs in all the way. Of the 2 shafts that showed up I had 3 studs not pressed, 2 nicked tone rings, and smashed splines.
I’ve had no issues with Yukon brand and will be sticking with them once these parts fail and leave me high and dry just like you :)

Jeep Wrangler JL 3 broken wheel studs in 3 weeks 74BA31D5-ADD2-4BA2-9717-B4BD19BEF2DA

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Very interesting.... I could see improperly seated studs causing torque issues and perhaps a thread stripping problem and potential breakage when driving when driving from the loose studs but it would not cause cross threading. Breakage can happen from over torque but also from tire forces from a stud loosening while driving forces are in effect.

Looks like wheel stud forensics are in order here!

It could be a factory warranty defect that would potentially be denied due to tire modification which would suck when the true cause was poor Dana build/production quality should it be determined as the cause of failure...

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Wrangler JL 3 broken wheel studs in 3 weeks 74BA31D5-ADD2-4BA2-9717-B4BD19BEF2DA
Yup. This right here explains it all. Studs weren’t properly pressed in. I’m never put this trash in my rig again. I wheel
This thing can’t be risking a stud failure lol

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting.... I could see improperly seated studs causing torque issues and perhaps a thread stripping problem and potential breakage when driving when driving from the loose studs but it would not cause cross threading. Breakage can happen from over torque but also from tire forces from a stud loosening while driving forces are in effect.

Looks like wheel stud forensics are in order here!

It could be a factory warranty defect that would potentially be denied due to tire modification which would suck when the true cause was poor Dana build/production quality should it be determined as the cause of failure...
Considering this is an aftermarket assembly made specifically for off-road use it’s a pretty clear defect. Just look at the previous post where it shows the studs not even pressed in properly. Mine looked like they were but clearly weren’t

Sponsored

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yup. This right here explains it all. Studs weren’t properly pressed in. I’m never put this trash in my rig again. I wheel
This thing can’t be risking a stud failure lol
Go after Chrysler, they should take care Orford their customers. I'm sure your case is not isolated...Good Luck!

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Go after Chrysler, they should take care Orford their customers. I'm sure your case is not isolated...Good Luck!
Do it out of principal, Most of us don't have the legalize and would need to pay for one which of course would be cost prohibited but fairness is righteous!

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Considering this is an aftermarket assembly made specifically for off-road use it’s a pretty clear defect. Just look at the previous post where it shows the studs not even pressed in properly. Mine looked like they were but clearly weren’t
That Dana photo is a factory supplier..

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do it out of principal, Most of us don't have the legalize and would need to pay for one which of course would be cost prohibited but fairness is righteous!
Will gladly sue them in small claims lol