OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
Which wheels do you have? Are they hub centric? Most are not. If you run non-hub centric wheels (aka lug centric) and do not use hub rings, this can easily happen. This happened to me a long time ago before i learned why it kept happening.

ive had a tire shop cross thread a lug nut before because theyre in too much of a hurry to start them by hand.Was a total pita to fix on my f150.

the fact that this keeps happening to the same wheel sounds like either the lugs were stretched as mentioned above or your wheels are not hub centric and you dont have rings.

granted, you can run lug centric wheels without rings but you have to be sure that the lugs are centering the wheel when you tighten them. The hub rings eliminate having to do this. They basically make the wheel hub centric.

i wouldnt be surprised if jeep denies the claim because you have aftermarket wheels. It would be highly unusual for the vehicle to have defective wheel studs. Ive never heard of that happening though anything is possile.
The axle shaft assembly is after market Dana spicer chromoly. Where can I get the hub ring?
Sponsored

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

It’s not easy for me to rotate 37s. Big ass tires
some tire shops will "tighten the lugs by hand" if requested. you may pay more but its better than dealing with this. im sure Wheel Warehouse would. theyre not cheap but they do quality work, in my experience.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Tire rotation, oil change. Same hacks. They can’t tighten Lugnuts and they can’t check oil level.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I hope the stud didn’t spin in the hub and wallow out the hole the stud fits in. May have screwed the axle shaft.
Gregj

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Hub rings are not the issue or the solution. Proper installation of the lug nuts is.
in this situation, after re-reading the OP, i would agree that its likely from poor installation but having improperly centered lug centric wheels can absolutely sheer off the studs as well. been there done that. one reason why i only run hub centric wheels.
I hope the stud didn’t spin in the hub and wallow out the hole the stud fits in. May have screwed the axle shaft.
Gregj
id also check the lug holes on the wheels. if the wheel got loose at all this can easily happen. then the wheel is a paperweight

Crimpcap

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Insight, 2016 CVO Streetglide
The OP needs new tire shop. Curious about your warranty claim? None of the parts are defective, just botched install by the tire shop.

Sponsored

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OP needs new tire shop. Curious about your warranty claim? None of the parts are defective, just botched install by the tire shop.
Why the hell did the stud fall into the hub? Caused damage to my parking brake assembly and tone ring. Brand new studs don’t just fall in like that because they were cross threaded lol

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in this situation, after re-reading the OP, i would agree that its likely from poor installation but having improperly centered lug centric wheels can absolutely sheer off the studs as well. been there done that. one reason why i only run hub centric wheels.

id also check the lug holes on the wheels. if the wheel got loose at all this can easily happen. then the wheel is a paperweight
I have hub centric wheels

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
the guy doing it probably doesn't like jeeps. but when the big shiny silverado comes in he treats it like the Queen's carriage. or he could be a subaru fan.

if you know which place actually did it, let them know.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Wheel studs usually press into the hub. All that “spinning” has wallowed out the hole it should press into, that’s why the broken piece fell into the e-brake. I suspect your repair will get more expensive.
Gregj

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ve seen guys put a wheel on one lug then use the lug nut on an impact to pull the wheel up onto the hub. Lazy to say the least.

If any of you have a lot of scrapes and scratches around your lug nuts, beware. Pull a couple of lugs and if you see pieces of aluminum galled up in deep gouges around the lugs holes, they are hammering them on way too tight.
Sponsored

Last edited: