3 broken wheel studs in 3 weeks

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
Dealing with a nightmare situation here.
about 3 weeks ago a wheel stud was discovered to be “cross threaded” when I went for tire rotation. It was the first time I went for a rotation since I did a swap back in October so I’m sure the shop did the cross thread.

A day after I discovered the cross threaded wheel stud, the stud actually got loose and got stuck in my parking brake assembly! Could have been real bad. Anyways I got the stud out and replaced it.
Yesterday I went to fix the parking brake spring which was damaged with the broken wheel stud and lo and behold TWO more studs are broken and just spinning!
The axle shaft assembly is the DANA SPICER JL 44 rear passenger side. I contacted them with a warranty claim. 3 failed studs in 3 weeks on a jeep that has less than 10k miles on Said axle assembly. Wheeled no more than 3 times. Only rotated tires once.
what the hell is going on here?

Jeep Wrangler JL 3 broken wheel studs in 3 weeks C4C09B8C-CF12-476D-81FD-E236C4B3CF7E

Jeep Wrangler JL 3 broken wheel studs in 3 weeks ECE4A18A-BA8D-4D1A-BC0F-5D54324C08F3

Jeep Wrangler JL 3 broken wheel studs in 3 weeks 9C599A4B-085B-4AD5-92AB-734A69B6BA19
Sponsored

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Dealing with a nightmare situation here.
about 3 weeks ago a wheel stud was discovered to be “cross threaded” when I went for tire rotation. It was the first time I went for a rotation since I did a swap back in October so I’m sure the shop did the cross thread.
A day after I discovered the cross threaded wheel stud, the stud actually got loose and got stuck in my parking brake assembly! Could have been real bad. Anyways I got the stud out and replaced it.
Yesterday I went to fix the parking brake spring which was damaged with the broken wheel stud and lo and behold TWO more studs are broken and just spinning!
The axle shaft assembly is the DANA SPICER JL 44 rear passenger side. I contacted them with a warranty claim. 3 failed studs in 3 weeks on a jeep that has less than 10k miles on Said axle assembly. Wheeled no more than 3 times. Only rotated tires once.
what the hell is going on here?

C4C09B8C-CF12-476D-81FD-E236C4B3CF7E.png

ECE4A18A-BA8D-4D1A-BC0F-5D54324C08F3.png

9C599A4B-085B-4AD5-92AB-734A69B6BA19.png
People may say that I have trust issues.

But, this is the exact reason why I do my own tire rotations, change my own oil, and make my own sandwich.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Are you running the stock wheels and tires?

Is the dealer doing the rotations?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Did you rotate or get the dealer to do it? Whenever any shop works on my tires, I loosen every lug and re-torque them. Even cheap air impacts put over 600 lbs of torque these days. Cross threaded means the tech was too lazy to start the lugs for a few turns by hand. Then they absolutely hammer the lugs on with those impacts.

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you rotate or get the dealer to do it? Whenever any shop works on my tires, I loosen every lug and re-torque them. Even cheap air impacts put over 600 lbs of torque these days. Cross threaded means the tech was too lazy to start the lugs for a few turns by hand. Then they absolutely hammer the lugs on with those impacts.
The tires were rotated just once at my local shop.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Your local shop damaged those lugs then. I would talk to the owner about it and see what his attitude about it is. I bet every single one has been way over torqued and the studs are all stretched to the point where more will break eventually.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
What did the base of that stud look like? Looks smooth. I have only seen studs with a knurled surface.

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your local shop damaged those lugs then. I would talk to the owner about it and see what his attitude about it is. I bet every single one has been way over torqued and the studs are all stretched to the point where more will break eventually.
Ok fine. But that doesn’t explain such a massive failure with just one rotation. I’ve owned and driven too many vehicles and miles for this to happen on ONE rotation. Literally the wheels have been removed TWICE since I originally installed them.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You have to go out to the shop floor and watch them. A 800 ft lb impact can do a lot of damage in the hands of an inexperienced guy. Snap On air impacts and Milwaukee Fuel electrics can put out 1000 ft lbs.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Which wheels do you have? Are they hub centric? Most are not. If you run non-hub centric wheels (aka lug centric) and do not use hub rings, this can easily happen. This happened to me a long time ago before i learned why it kept happening.

ive had a tire shop cross thread a lug nut before because theyre in too much of a hurry to start them by hand.Was a total pita to fix on my f150.

the fact that this keeps happening to the same wheel sounds like either the lugs were stretched as mentioned above or your wheels are not hub centric and you dont have rings.

granted, you can run lug centric wheels without rings but you have to be sure that the lugs are centering the wheel when you tighten them. The hub rings eliminate having to do this. They basically make the wheel hub centric.

i wouldnt be surprised if jeep denies the claim because you have aftermarket wheels. It would be highly unusual for the vehicle to have defective wheel studs. Ive never heard of that happening though anything is possile.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You have to go out to the shop floor and watch them. A 800 ft lb impact can do a lot of damage in the hands of an inexperienced guy. Snap On air impacts and Milwaukee Fuel electrics can put out 1000 ft lbs.
not to mention you’ll be cursing up a storm if/when you ever have to remove a wheel yourself. Just imagine youre out on a trail and get a flat....hey anyone have a cheater bar in their jeep?! Lol

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yep, I have a 1/2 cheater bar with a dedicated 22mm six sided socket. I won't use the factory lug wrench.

Another thing with impacts is that hey hammer the stainless skin over the outside of the lug nut. If a shop uses a 12 sided socket on an impact, it will destroy that stainless cover and you will have hell getting that lug nut off.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
This is pretty common with the tire and wheel hacks. Torque wrenches and hand tightening takes time. Power tools take less time. They care about your vehicle NOT.
Sponsored