Sponsored

3.6 l Engine Oil Type

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Using AMSOIL is never a waste of money. In addition to extending oil and filter change intervals, AMSOIL has been shown to improve fuel economy saving money. "AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil provided 75 percent more engine protection against horsepower loss and wear than required by the industry standard, extending the life of vital components like pistons and cams." "Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil achieved 100 percent protection against LSPI1 in the engine test required by the GM dexos1 Gen 2 specification - zero occurrences were recorded throughout five consecutive tests." "protecting the turbocharger 72 percent better than required by the GM dexos1Ā®Gen 2 specification." It also provides 90% better protection against sludge in the Sequence VG Engine Test. Limits oil consumption with lower volatility. Easier cold starts. Allowed only 0.1% of the allowable viscosity increase in the Sequence IIIH Engine test Chrysler* 3.6L Pentastar* engine and 40% cleaner pistons than required by the standard. AMSOIL products also have the best warranty in the business. More information on the above at https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf?zo=1181889 .

I'm not aware that Project Farm has performed "4 ball tests". Please provide the link. Also provide proof "Dawn dishwashing liquid will perform as well as motor oil in that test".
What territory do you cover for Amsoil?
Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
If you are ese on the car, any brand of oil will be fine.
If you beat on it (severe duty) then look into which oil provides better protection.

Not all oil weights created equal, some 0w20 have superior protection while others are mediocre. Amsoil synthetic (0w20 or 5w30) if you want the best.
Personally I will be running Quaker state suntetic 5w30 because I have 8 cases of it, and it's in top 5 for protection (7k mi on twin turbo 3.5, driven hard, and oil reports look good).

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
What territory do you cover for Amsoil?
I am not an AMSOIL employee. I sell AMSOIL, Wix, Mann and Donaldson filters all over the United States and Canada through my own business for the past 16 years. I was a Shell Oil chemist before then.

Last edited:

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
I replaced two cam phasers on my last pentastar. The 0w-20 may have something to do with that issue as it seemed to be fairly common on the earlier pentastars. I always used Mopar oil on my last Jeep

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
If you are ese on the car, any brand of oil will be fine.
If you beat on it (severe duty) then look into which oil provides better protection.

Not all oil weights created equal, some 0w20 have superior protection while others are mediocre. Amsoil synthetic (0w20 or 5w30) if you want the best.
Personally I will be running Quaker state suntetic 5w30 because I have 8 cases of it, and it's in top 5 for protection (7k mi on twin turbo 3.5, driven hard, and oil reports look good).

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
I would challenge anyone to show verified third party data using modern ASTM methodologies that states one oil is better than another when both oils meet the same specification.

I assume that you mean not all viscosities are the same, oil does not have a "weight", the W in 0W-20 stands for Winter. How do you quantify "it's in top 5 for protection"? If it is based upon the 540Rat blog, know that it is absolute drivel and has been debunked multiple times.

For example:

http://xtremerevolution.net/exposing-the-flaws-in-540rats-rebuttal/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/540rat-blog.280231/

Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would challenge anyone to show verified third party data using modern ASTM methodologies that states one oil is better than another when both oils meet the same specification.
I'm not aware that Project Farm has performed "4 ball tests". Please provide the link. Also provide proof "Dawn dishwashing liquid will perform as well as motor oil in that test".

Challenge accepted.

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/ShopR...re_Series_Cleanliness_vs_Mobil.jpg?zo=1181889 .

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/ShopRes/products/900px/Signature_Series_TBN.jpg?zo=1181889 .

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/ShopRes/products/900px/Signature_Series_Breakdown.jpg?zo=1181889

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/ShopRes/products/900px/Signature_Series_Volatility.jpg?zo=1181889

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/ShopRes/products/900px/Signature_Series_Diesel_Rust.jpg?zo=1181889

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited

I assume that you mean not all viscosities are the same, oil does not have a "weight", the W in 0W-20 stands for Winter. How do you quantify "it's in top 5 for protection"? If it is based upon the 540Rat blog, know that it is absolute drivel and has been debunked multiple times.

For example:

http://xtremerevolution.net/exposing-the-flaws-in-540rats-rebuttal/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/540rat-blog.280231/
It has been debunked by BS, there's nothing scientific out there to disprove it, just ignorant people with their opinions.
I test my oil changes and can confirm that Mobil one 5w30 synthetic has poor performance at elevated temps/ harsh driving twin turbo v6 or regular NA v6, similar to what his oil test indicates.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It has been debunked by BS, there's nothing scientific out there to disprove it, just ignorant people with their opinions.
I test my oil changes and can confirm that Mobil one 5w30 synthetic has poor performance at elevated temps/ harsh driving twin turbo v6 or regular NA v6, similar to what his oil test indicates.
There was nothing scientific in his tests either and the people on BITOG that debunked are far from ignorant. Exactly what in your UOA has shown that M1 has poor performance and coincides with Rat's findings?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I donā€™t know anything about motor oil. I do wonder however who paid for the ā€œindependent labā€ to do these tests and I am 100% sure that every other brand of oil could make some kind of similar claim that their brand beats Amsoil .

who paid for these tests and, were they the only tests performed or did Amsoil cherry pick the results?

color me very skeptical of any brand from shoes to staplers to oil that claim ā€œindependent lab resultsā€......

Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t know anything about motor oil. I do wonder however who paid for the ā€œindependent labā€ to do these tests and I am 100% sure that every other brand of oil could make some kind of similar claim that their brand beats Amsoil .

who paid for these tests and, were they the only tests performed or did Amsoil cherry pick the results?

color me very skeptical of any brand from shoes to staplers to oil that claim ā€œindependent lab resultsā€......
AMSOIL paid for the tests. All standard testing, well published, easily reproduced by the other oil companies with none disputing the results and no lawsuits. They would if they could disprove the results, but haven't. I have yet to see another oil company in 47 years say and prove in writing that they outperform AMSOIL. But they have against each other.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
AMSOIL paid for the tests. All standard testing, well published, easily reproduced by the other oil companies with none disputing the results and no lawsuits. They would if they could disprove the results, but haven't. I have yet to see another oil company in 47 years say and prove in writing that they outperform AMSOIL. But they have against each other.
Cigarette companies used to pay independent labs too for the purpose of cherry-picking results and getting marketing data to use in ads.

As I said, I find all of this ā€œindependent labā€ crap, across all industries, utterly non-persuasive.

if Amsoil believes that they make the best motor oil (and maybe they do), they should say it without the need to resort to an ā€œindependent labā€™ that they have paid to find them marketing data. As a consumer, ā€œindepentant labsā€ (which are not) turn me off.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if Amsoil believes that they make the best motor oil (and maybe they do), they should say it without the need to resort to an ā€œindependent labā€™ that they have paid to find them marketing data. As a consumer, ā€œindepentant labsā€ (which are not) turn me off.
AMSOIL has said they make the best motor oil for the past 47 years. No other company has been able to disprove their claim. When AMSOIL applied for the trademark "The First in Synthetics", the US Patent and Trademark Office sent out a request to the other oil companies asking if they could prove they had a better oil than AMSOIL. None responded. Trademark granted.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I like amsoil. I use it in my GSX-S1000F. I'd use it in my Jeep too, but I'm still on the "free oil chnge" deal from the dealer when I bought it, and I don't think it makes that much difference. Any good synthetic with a modern engine is going to give you close enough to the same results that with regular oil changes shouldn't make a bit of difference. (Lord, forgive me.. I got sucked into another oil thread). :CWL:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
AMSOIL has said they make the best motor oil for the past 47 years. No other company has been able to disprove their claim. When AMSOIL applied for the trademark "The First in Synthetics", the US Patent and Trademark Office sent out a request to the other oil companies asking if they could prove they had a better oil than AMSOIL. None responded. Trademark granted.
Great! Then there is no need to have an ā€œindependent labā€ (which they pay and which will therefore guarantee the cherry-picked best results) to use in their marketing. And, they therefore shouldnā€™t bother. They make the best, for 47 years apparently, and nobody has ever claimed that they are better, apparently. Why denigrate the brand with the bull crap ā€œindependent labsā€ jazz.

now, want to know what I WOULD like to see?

i would like to see a statistically significant STUDY of 25,000 drivers buying new vehicles. I would like that study to run for 10 years. the Drivers are selected at random and across all brands of vehicles. during the 10-year test period, all owners get free oil changes conducted by the study organizers. Each participant is randomly assigned to an oil manufacturer and stays with that same company for the life of the study. all oil changes are done at auto manufacturer recommended intervals.

at the end of the 10-years, whatever vehicles remain in the study are purchased and the engine is stripped and analyzed by the study organizer. rigorous and exhaustive studies of each engine. Results collated and published.

maybe Amsoil will be the best engine oil maybe not. I really could give a crap about ā€28% better acid neutralizing powerā€ if it does zip to improve my engine life. 28% better over something that is already (maybe) exceptionally good does nothing to better protect my engine. Has it been shown By Amsoil that Mobil 1ā€™s inability to ā€neutralize acidā€ is HURTING my engine? Is that Amsoilā€˜s claim? No, only that they are 28% better than something that already isnā€™t hurting my engine (BTW, I am not a Mobil one fanboy.... the dealer puts in whatever they put in ..... no fanboy here). Itā€™s just marketing crap.

a long term statistically valid study as described above would answer that. Anything short of A long-term study as describe above is just marketing noise from an oil manufacturer, any of them.

and, I have a sneaky suspicion that after ten years, and the rigorous study of the engines, there would be no statistical differnce between oil 1 and oil 2, 3, 4, 5 in normal driving. But I have no idea. Amsoil may turn out to be the clear winner or not.
Sponsored