First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Oh nice, I was feeling all alone that I put 50,000 + since I got my Jeep. feels like I live in.
Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I dumped some of the lucass magic oil in the tank. It took a few miles but now it's mixed in well and a definite difference is felt . Of idle it would have some jerking (torque spikes)and u could hear some pinging . Cant hear it no more ...and finally of idle accel is smooth. 87 octane is definitely not good for our cars . The spark advance is too much and possibly running lean also. So my advice if ur going with low octane pour some octane booster the fuel spark curve will work much better. And yes its bone stock
The 3.6L has a very high compression ratio. FCA are trying to control the consequences of that with electronic wizardry. Their software and electronics just do not get it done with 87 octane. On 87 and even on 89 octane when there is some 87 left in the tank, mine consistently stumbles at 1300rpm whether warm or cold. And it is down on power on the highway such as long steady climbs - mine has 35's, so 6th gear is useless on low octane gas. But when I hit a brand like Shell that carries 91 octane, it is perfect. As a result, when I get gas elsewhere, I have to put half 89 and half 93 in which is a pain. Interestly, mine does not seem to benefit from unlimited octane - 93 seems to be more than I need. But 91 does the trick, so that's what I run. Wish I could get away with cheaper, but engine just does not run as well.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Oh nice, I was feeling all alone that I put 50,000 + since I got my Jeep. feels like I live in.
2 years and 10 months... getting ready to turn 70k miles on the clock.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
The 3.6L has a very high compression ratio. FCA are trying to control the consequences of that with electronic wizardry. Their software and electronics just do not get it done with 87 octane. On 87 and even on 89 octane when there is some 87 left in the tank, mine consistently stumbles at 1300rpm whether warm or cold. And it is down on power on the highway such as long steady climbs - mine has 35's, so 6th gear is useless on low octane gas. But when I hit a brand like Shell that carries 91 octane, it is perfect. As a result, when I get gas elsewhere, I have to put half 89 and half 93 in which is a pain. Interestly, mine does not seem to benefit from unlimited octane - 93 seems to be more than I need. But 91 does the trick, so that's what I run. Wish I could get away with cheaper, but engine just does not run as well.
noted the same exact thing

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Their software doesn't get it done? On the vast majority, it does.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend Kevin about what can be done when someone experiences it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I can't wade through 9 pages of memes. I have to deal with enough of those on facebook.

but my input.. I had pinging issues with a manual trans where you might shift at lower rpms or lug a bit more than that fancy 8 speed auto trans. A catch-can resolved it completely.
Exactly, but a catch can ? in this scenario i've no clue what that is

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I posted one meme. One meme only.
1606768592320.png

Ok, two now. But I couldn't resist. :LOL:

On a more serious note, you may have finally found a reason that makes sense to me for a catch can.
u seem to be pinging right about now.. but I'm lost on the catch can, which I know to be an overflow device. usually used so the intake doesn't take a gulp of oil. Is there another meaning?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
u seem to be pinging right about now.. but I'm lost on the catch can, which I know to be an overflow device. usually used so the intake doesn't take a gulp of oil. Is there another meaning?
I take it to mean that maybe the oil vapor going through the PVC was contributing to the pinging and the catch can reduced or stopped it, so the pinging went away. If not the vapor itself, it may have changed a variable or multiple variables enough to stop it. If I had a pinging issue that was difficult to crack, I'd give it a shot. I don't think a catch can does one bit of harm.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Their software doesn't get it done? On the vast majority, it does.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend Kevin about what can be done when someone experiences it.
The reason I made more popcorn. I hope he has something because it sure would be nice if we could run on the basic stuff... but i'm not holding breath here ... I think his answer is going to be buy higher octane.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The reason I made more popcorn. I hope he has something because it sure would be nice if we could run on the basic stuff... but i'm not holding breath here ... I think his answer is going to be buy higher octane.
It well could be, but I'll defer to him. He said he runs 89 in his Chrysler 300 but not because of pinging, but rather slightly smoother operation, which he said has been verified by NVH measuring equipment during development. For the record, I'm on my 2nd tank of 93 V-Power just to see if I can feel it and so far, I feel nothing different from 87. My butt NVH meter just can't pick it up. She's smooth as silk just the same as with the 87. (The engine is smooth as silk, not my butt. Hope nobody got excited.)

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I take it to mean that maybe the oil vapor going through the PVC was contributing to the pinging and the catch can reduced or stopped it, so the pinging went away. If not the vapor itself, it may have changed a variable or multiple variables enough to stop it. If I had a pinging issue that was difficult to crack, I'd give it a shot. I don't think a catch can does one bit of harm.
Intersting . Is there a particular brand u use?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Intersting . Is there a particular brand u use?
If I were to get one, I'd go with the UPR can. It seems to have a bit more thought put into its design than others. The other major brand talked about around here appears to use a can that can be had from Amazon for a fraction of the cost. It probably works just fine, though. That's just my humble opinion and it is NOT an expert one, at that.

My engine hasn't pinged. I've looked at catch cans, but at this time see no benefit for my engine, at least as of yet.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It well could be, but I'll defer to him. He said he runs 89 in his Chrysler 300 but not because of pinging, but rather slightly smoother operation, which he said has been verified by NVH measuring equipment during development. For the record, I'm on my 2nd tank of 93 V-Power just to see if I can feel it and so far, I feel nothing different from 87. My butt NVH meter just can't pick it up. She's smooth as silk just the same as with the 87. (The engine is smooth as silk, not my butt. Hope nobody got excited.)
If u didn't have issue with 87 then ur just wasting time+money.. I'm still on my lucas tank. Its not changed still smoother then on plain 87.. I can still hear the rod smacking the journal ever so lightly for a split second upon acceleration but nowhere as bad as it was before. My next fill up will 90+

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I guess my Jeep always meant a lot to me. I have put nothing but 91 Octane in everything I own. Gas is crap as it is.
Sponsored