Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I use the center console to connect Apple CarPlay every day. If yours doesn't work consistently it is likely a loose USB connection. I would make your dealer take it all apart and check every connection.
Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I use the center console to connect Apple CarPlay every day. If yours doesn't work consistently it is likely a loose USB connection. I would make your dealer take it all apart and check every connection.
That is pretty much what I did "take it all apart and check every connection.", albeit in my driveway rather than taking it to the dealer.
Taking the HVAC controls out was the scariest part, the center console was easy :)
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's fixed :fingerscrossed:, to date the results have been good.

Center Console removal: Steps here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-non-rubicon-cupholder.9882/page-2

Pulling Dash apart/AC controls:

I didn't take any pics of it all part, I should have done :( I simply unplugged anything that looked USB , I marked up some the image from post #27 in this thread, and there are also white and black plugs on the back of the USB media port in the dash that I unplugged/reseated.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2nd USB in center console Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.38.52 AM

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
And yesterday, once again it died on me!
We drove out for about two hours, no issues, that driving back down from the mountains, poof, no more Car Play from the Center Console USB port :(

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
It happened to me a few times on my last little trip, but I unplugged it and plugged it back in and that fixed it for me.

Sponsored

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
I keep a USB jump drive in the 2nd USB port with 2900 +- songs on it for listening. I have not had any problems with the 2nd port at all.
240 gig ssd in the console USB port, 9000 plus songs - no problems whatsoever.

tom.weaver

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 SHara
Anyone else had issues with their phones or CarPlay staying connected when using the USB port in the center console. It seems to drop after 15 minutes or so. Unplugging and re-plugging doesn't seem to work, but switching to the front USB in the "Media" port is rock solid. I just like the cabling and routing better when its in the 2nd one. Not sure how to approach troubleshooting or getting service to do anything about it.
My 2021 USB2 port worked fine. But when I traded for a 2022 Sahara, the USB2 port gave a “Device Not Supported” error when plugging in my iPhone 13 Pro Max. The dealership had my car for a total of 42 days since April. Turned out the problem with the USB2 port was caused by the USB1 port. Seems the USB2 port connects to the USB1 port. The dealership tried a new radio, new USB2 port, swapping radio with one on the lot… nothing worked until they replaced the USB1 port. The initial diagnosis was “it’s an Apple problem”. I rejected this because I could take my phone to any other Wrangler on the lot and it worked. By the way, USB2 worked fine with Android but not Apple. Anyway, after mentioning lemon laws, thy stuck with it and solved my problem. Hope this helps someone else.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
My 2021 USB2 port worked fine. But when I traded for a 2022 Sahara, the USB2 port gave a “Device Not Supported” error when plugging in my iPhone 13 Pro Max. The dealership had my car for a total of 42 days since April. Turned out the problem with the USB2 port was caused by the USB1 port. Seems the USB2 port connects to the USB1 port. The dealership tried a new radio, new USB2 port, swapping radio with one on the lot… nothing worked until they replaced the USB1 port. The initial diagnosis was “it’s an Apple problem”. I rejected this because I could take my phone to any other Wrangler on the lot and it worked. By the way, USB2 worked fine with Android but not Apple. Anyway, after mentioning lemon laws, thy stuck with it and solved my problem. Hope this helps someone else.
This is a good update. Also seems plausible too, because when I did the Carplay 2 Air install, I had to disconnect a cable and put in a splitter cable to connect the Carplay 2 Air transmitter. I haven't had issues with Carplay 2 Air (outside occasional bluetooth interferrence). USB2 was unusable other than charging before I did this- however, USB1 still works.

TheDogPack

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
I have this exact issue on my 2022 JLUR... Let's see if the dealer is willing to take apart the entire dash and armrest to fix it. There is no way I am living with this issue on a brand-new Jeep and will bring it back as many times as needed until they figure it out.

Sponsored

BlackTango

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
[fix] use Apple brand USB, USB-C wire only.

So I had a pair of air pods pro and I would have issues where I would lose connection often. I looked up the problem on the FAQ forums and found that using a non-apple brand USB, USB-C cable causes issues for the pods such as inconsistent charges and lost connection. The fix, use only apple brand cables.

I applied the same fix for my Apple CarPlay and have not had the issue since.

TheDogPack

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
[fix] use Apple brand USB, USB-C wire only.

So I had a pair of air pods pro and I would have issues where I would lose connection often. I looked up the problem on the FAQ forums and found that using a non-apple brand USB, USB-C cable causes issues for the pods such as inconsistent charges and lost connection. The fix, use only apple brand cables.

I applied the same fix for my Apple CarPlay and have not had the issue since.
I am using an apple brand wire - no dice

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
240 gb USB SSD plugged into my console USB port. So far it has stayed connected with no issues.
Sponsored