Center Console USB Port

Lane75

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey there folks. I'm searching for a way to turn off the center console USB port when my Jeep is turned off. I only want the port active (data/charge) when the Jeep is in ACC and RUN modes. I have a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. Not interested in any other ports, only that one. TIA.

Scenario: I have an AA Wireless plugged into that port 24/7 and the device remains active even when the Jeep is turned off.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hey there folks. I'm searching for a way to turn off the center console USB port when my Jeep is turned off. I only want the port active (data/charge) when the Jeep is in ACC and RUN modes. I have a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. Not interested in any other ports, only that one. TIA.

Scenario: I have an AA Wireless plugged into that port 24/7 and the device remains active even when the Jeep is turned off.
Pretty sure there isn't a setting to do that. Notwithstanding, the draw from the AA wireless module should be minimal with nothing attached to it requiring transmission. Unless you're leaving your rig for a week untouched, it should be fine.

Edit: There is is a "USB Connection Presence" setting in JScan but I didn't get a chance to try it, just took a quick look.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Lane75

There presently is no way to do that. USB port power is automatically turned off, 60 minutes after you switch the ignition to off.

There is no UConnect setting that you can change, etc.. No programming tool can presently do.

Does not matter what you have plugged into the USB ports, they will lose 12v power 60 mins. after ignition is off.

You could incorporate an on/off switch that will turn on/off both data and 12v.
https://www.amazon.com/wishacc-Adap...af-b6fa-51d3c62476d0&pd_rd_i=B07QTJZD99&psc=1

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@Lane75

At night or when vehicle is in a dark garage, turn ignition off and close / lock the doors.

Now, go back and peek in the rear hatch window. Look at the USB ports on the rear console. You will see them slightly lighted, indicating they are powered up. Wait 60 mins. and then go back and peek in again. You will now see the USB ports are no longer lighted, indicating they have powered down.

Remember, if you have proximity on your JL, that if you just touch any of the door handles the 12v power will be restored to all USB ports for another 60 mins..

For the ports to be powered up and your AA wireless having power for an hour is not that big deal battery wise. (sure I too would rather have USB powered off with ignition to off)

Yes, having AA wireless powered up keeps your smartphone talking to it and that makes smartphone messages and such a pain occasionally.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Pretty sure there isn't a setting to do that. Notwithstanding, the draw from the AA wireless module should be minimal with nothing attached to it requiring transmission. Unless you're leaving your rig for a week untouched, it should be fine.

Edit: There is is a "USB Connection Presence" setting in JScan but I didn't get a chance to try it, just took a quick look.
I think the issue is more when you go inside and still close enough to the vehicle where you still pick up signal. It’s more of an annoyance.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
If you have a 4xe, just leave it on knowing there's no way in hell anything USB powered is going to drain BOTH batteries.

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase

Contact your local Car Stereo shop
They can possibly install a relay, with a toggle switch
You can then toggle power on/off
Very similar to the Aux Controls in the Jeep with the Trailer Tow Package
They can be changed from momentarily to constant
My 2 cents

OP
OP
Lane75

Lane75

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the issue is more when you go inside and still close enough to the vehicle where you still pick up signal. It’s more of an annoyance.
Couldn't agree more. Now that I know that all USB ports turn off after 60 minutes of the engine being turned off, it's really more about the Wi-Fi being turned off so it doesn't interfere at various times.

OP
OP
Lane75

Lane75

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does AA Wireless use WiFi or Bluetooth?
Both. It works by establishing a Bluetooth connection with your phone (so it can send the Wi-Fi password to AAWireless) then it uses Wi-Fi from there on out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lane75

Lane75

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So. It connects to the phone and head unit with BT? What's the wifi for?
The Wi-Fi controls all of the functions of Android Auto. It's required. The Bluetooth is only there to sign into the AA wireless Wi-Fi network since it's automated.
Sponsored