2H vs 4H

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
One thing to remember after driving in snow. When you're in 4hi on snowy streets remember to take it out of 4 Hi and go back to 2 Hi when pulling into a parking garage or driving on dry cleared streets.

The 4wd system can bind up on dry pavement/concrete.
This is doubly true when having to shift into Reverse.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
But thats in a Rubicon.. In a Sahara, to my understanding is that all this happens automatically? Sort of like a Toyota Landcruiser.. Or so i gathered..
all the trim level of the wrangler have the t case to shift. the sahara have an extra setting that you can shift into automatic which t case will act like an all wheel drive.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
One thing to remember after driving in snow. When you're in 4hi on snowy streets remember to take it out of 4hi and go back to 2hi when pulling into a parking garage
The non-Sahara models shouldn't be used in 4H except when needed because they can put more strain on the drivetrain. If you are driving in 2H and find that your rear tires are spinning, then go to 4H. I've run a lot of trails in 2H only. I haven't done any snow or ice yet.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
For me, 4H and 4L are equally important.

Lets say i am headed to a camp site somewhere in the woods, once i leave the highway and get on a dirt road, thats when i shift to 4H, if it gets technical, i would disconnect the sway bars, then as i get closer to the remote campsite, typically ill face harsh terrain/obstacles.. Thats when i shift to 4L!

But thats in a Rubicon.. In a Sahara, to my understanding is that all this happens automatically? Sort of like a Toyota Landcruiser.. Or so i gathered..

Either way, get used to your systems and test them out before you actually need them!
4wd transfer case is an option on Sahara and only comes on it if you order that way. Most saharas don't have auto 4wd.

Also, best way to get used to a car in the snow (no matter what you have) is to go out to a parking lot or secluded street full of snow/ice and play around in both 2h and 4h, see how it behaves when you turn and give it a gas in both modes.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If you hadn't thought of it - I'd also recommend finding a dirt or gravel lot where you can practice. Our transfer case was extremely finnicky at first and would pop out of 4H. We got it adjusted and now goes in and out as intended. When you need it is not when you want to be figuring it out.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you hadn't thought of it - I'd also recommend finding a dirt or gravel lot where you can practice. Our transfer case was extremely finnicky at first and would pop out of 4H. We got it adjusted and now goes in and out as intended. When you need it is not when you want to be figuring it out.
Yep, for those running their first Jeep, shifting to 4Lo you might think something's broken or is going to break, always best to have checked it all out prior to needing it at the moment.

Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Great post.

I think there are many people out there that think having a 4WD vehicle gives them a free pass to drive like they normally would on snowy roads just because they have more traction. It gives them too much confidence and it gets them in trouble.

Honestly, I basically drive the same way in 4WD as I would if I had a 2WD vehicle in the winter. I take it slow and try to be mindful of road conditions. For me the 4WD is more about just getting you moving better in parking lots, at stop lights, etc. where the 2WD spins. But it doesn't change your ability to really drive any better at 50 MPH or something. And in fact it does get tougher to control/turn, etc. with all the wheels spinning.

Personally, I don't ever really use 4WD at speeds greater than about about 40-45MPH. I figure if I can go faster than that, I probably don't really need the 4WD to begin with.

I mostly use it whenever the conditions are such that I'd be driving at reduced speeds anyways. Snow covered roads, slushy/ice roads, buckets of rain with a lot of standing water, etc. If it's just normal rain or roads are just wet, I don't use it.

Also don't assume running in 4hi that you can drive aggressive in hazardous conditions, you'll "typically" be more sure-footed, but 4 sliding tires without sufficient traction can be even worse than 2 in some cases.

Since you're new to all this just take the side of caution when trying 4wd until you get a comfortable feel for how it behaves. Best to get your time in on some dirt roads prior to your first ice-storm.

Also keep your tires inflated to what your door sticker says, even a little less, overinflated tires in situations w/ less traction will be even more unstable.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure I’ll have to look it up. The guy at the dealership didn’t show anythung about 4w auto
Look on the 4WD indicator on your instrument cluster (next to the tachometer) and/or your 4WD shifter. If there is a 4H Auto next to 4H Part-Time, that means you have Selec-Trac, which comes with a 4WD mode that can be used all the time —well, excluding the trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2H vs 4H 1603114937116

Jeep Wrangler JL 2H vs 4H 1603114974409

If they look like this, then your Sahara has Command-Trac, in which case you need to observe the recommendations listed by others above.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2H vs 4H 1603115528765

Jeep Wrangler JL 2H vs 4H 1603115182723

Good luck!

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
fully noted. Far from an aggressive driver. Especially in snow soI would be driving what the road conditions will allow me. So that I know, 4H is better tractionsI’m snow, ice driving normal but doesn’t mean braking will be any better. Can I still drive in 2H on snow?
Sure, but why would you? The 4 d will keep you going when 2 wd vehicles are stuck or struggling. Remember in 2wd the Jeep is a rear wheel vehicle. Such vehicles typically are worse in snow than a front wheel drive.. put her n4 H, drive responsibly and you’ll have no issues getting around in the snow.

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
Shifting into 4L for the first time is scary. You’ll literally feel like you’re going to break the shift lever, you have to do it so hard. But rest assured it will go in. After that first time, it’s much easier (That’s what she said )

OP
OP

Newb2020

First Name
Lay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Great post.

I think there are many people out there that think having a 4WD vehicle gives them a free pass to drive like they normally would on snowy roads just because they have more traction. It gives them too much confidence and it gets them in trouble.

Honestly, I basically drive the same way in 4WD as I would if I had a 2WD vehicle in the winter. I take it slow and try to be mindful of road conditions. For me the 4WD is more about just getting you moving better in parking lots, at stop lights, etc. where the 2WD spins. But it doesn't change your ability to really drive any better at 50 MPH or something. And in fact it does get tougher to control/turn, etc. with all the wheels spinning.

Personally, I don't ever really use 4WD at speeds greater than about about 40-45MPH. I figure if I can go faster than that, I probably don't really need the 4WD to begin with.

I mostly use it whenever the conditions are such that I'd be driving at reduced speeds anyways. Snow covered roads, slushy/ice roads, buckets of rain with a lot of standing water, etc. If it's just normal rain or roads are just wet, I don't use it.
Thank you! Really helpful!
Sponsored