2018 JL model's

Jrodrig764

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
Any one know if there were 2 Different JL's in 2018? My dealer says mine's an 18 1/2. I've been ordering parts for a 2019. I'm told some parts won't fit from 2018 parts? Oh ya, I've got 37's on it and the rear door MOPAR reinforced spare tire holder sucks. The tire is to heavy for the door and hinges. Local Jeep guys that I trust say don't get a bumper supported carrier because they are noisy? Upgrade the hinges is their answer. Any comments?
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
In 2018 jeep sold both the JL and the older JK. The old model was renamed to the Wrangler JK and the JL is just called the New Wrangler. But different parts listings show these models differently.

this is a common thing across all brands. I had an 2007 Silverado that had a model change that year and had similar issues. you will always run into parts issues.

The best bet is to fudge your year to 2019 when searching for parts.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any one know if there were 2 Different JL's in 2018? My dealer says mine's an 18 1/2. I've been ordering parts for a 2019. I'm told some parts won't fit from 2018 parts? Oh ya, I've got 37's on it and the rear door MOPAR reinforced spare tire holder sucks. The tire is to heavy for the door and hinges. Local Jeep guys that I trust say don't get a bumper supported carrier because they are noisy? Upgrade the hinges is their answer. Any comments?
I haven’t heard anything about two jl models in 2018. It was the JLs first year, and the JKs last year so it sucked ordering parts in the early going. As far as tire carriers go, I went with the EVO tire carrier it replaces the factory hinges. It really works great but any aftermarket carrier that replaces the hinges will work.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JL model's ABCA05D2-D1DB-467C-9ECE-C102B493A44F
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JL model's 97BE209E-9703-4A41-9569-8C3E601020C1

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I haven’t heard anything about two jl models in 2018. It was the JLs first year, and the JKs last year so it sucked ordering parts in the early going. As far as tire carriers go, I went with the EVO tire carrier it replaces the factory hinges. It really works great but any aftermarket carrier that replaces the hinges will work.

I've got this same carrier and while I like the design and engineering, the quality of the product itself is disappointing. I had to use washers on top of the spacers to get the carrier to mount flush to my gate and not warp it outwards. Mine is also starting to rust because the powdercoating is flaking off in areas. I'm going to swap it out for Rusty's at some point, but it's still doing a good job holding my spare.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've got this same carrier and while I like the design and engineering, the quality of the product itself is disappointing. I had to use washers on top of the spacers to get the carrier to mount flush to my gate and not warp it outwards. Mine is also starting to rust because the powdercoating is flaking off in areas. I'm going to swap it out for Rusty's at some point, but it's still doing a good job holding my spare.
Sorry to hear it, I’ve had zero issues, maybe geographical, IDK...... Rustys is an awesome carrier as well, my buddy has it on his rig.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I painted over the rusty areas and it’s been holding up but yes I feel like it’s not the best for the buck. Also, there’s days where it rattles and other days where it’s completely silent. I know weird. I’m looking at replacing it with a CavFab in the future.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
i have a 2018 jl with 37's and a lod bumper tire carrier. it is super quiet, this site has threads on it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
In 2018 jeep sold both the JL and the older JK. The old model was renamed to the Wrangler JK and the JL is just called the New Wrangler. But different parts listings show these models differently.

this is a common thing across all brands. I had an 2007 Silverado that had a model change that year and had similar issues. you will always run into parts issues.

The best bet is to fudge your year to 2019 when searching for parts.
This /\ . I really don't think there were 2 JL models in 2018.

When ordering parts, if any drop down box on some screen simply says "2018," I suggest you choose 2019 or greater or you may end up with 2018 JK parts.

Most of the better parts websites I've seen have two entries for 2018: one that says something like "2018 JK" and "2018 JL." In fact there might be 4 entries for 2018: JK, JK[U], JL and JL[U] if two different parts exist for 2 and 4 doors.

...or even more entries if its a Rubicon/non Rubicon thing. So pay attention.

OP
OP
Jrodrig764

Jrodrig764

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
This /\ . I really don't think there were 2 JL models in 2018.

When ordering parts, if any drop down box on some screen simply says "2018," I suggest you choose 2019 or greater or you may end up with 2018 JK parts.

Most of the better parts websites I've seen have two entries for 2018: one that says something like "2018 JK" and "2018 JL." In fact there might be 4 entries for 2018: JK, JK[U], JL and JL[U] if two different parts exist for 2 and 4 doors.

...or even more entries if its a Rubicon/non Rubicon thing. So pay attention.
You, right on the options. I'm just gonna stay with ordering for a 2019. Thanks for the comment

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I chose to go with the Cavfab hinged reinforcement and carrier. I also got their Ultra High Clearance rear bumper, which minimizes how much material hangs below the body, maximizing departure angle. They both ship out bare steel, so I'm having them powder coated to match the front Mopar bumper.
Sponsored