2018 JL Unlimited

mrussell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I owned a Jeep 20 years ago but am close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 JL Unlimited (hope the terminology is accurate). I'm going from an F250 to this. I need to tow a Polaris Ranger occasionally on a 14' single axle trailer 3.5 hours each way. Will this be an issue? Also, I know the general manager at the dealership but only offered 5% below MSRP on a sport s nicely equipped. Thoughts? Opinions? Oh and thanks for letting the rookie in. . . .
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a Jeep 20 years ago but am close to pulling the trigger on a 2018 JL Unlimited (hope the terminology is accurate). I'm going from an F250 to this. I need to tow a Polaris Ranger occasionally on a 14' single axle trailer 3.5 hours each way. Will this be an issue? Also, I know the general manager at the dealership but only offered 5% below MSRP on a sport s nicely equipped. Thoughts? Opinions? Oh and thanks for letting the rookie in. . . .
Unless you have an exceptionally heavy trailer, you'll be fine towing the Polaris Ranger. The JLU has a rating of 3500 Lbs but the engine itself will pull much more.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can do a lot better than 5% below MSRP. Lots of people are getting 5-6% below invoice.

OP
OP

mrussell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've called several dealers close and can't get anyone to budge any more. MSRP is $44,555. I thought I'd get it for $39k easy but doesn't look promising.

Sponsored

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Tupelo, MS

Your biggest problem you are going to have is going from a 250 to a Jeep. I went from a Titan XD to a JLU.....and miss my truck every day. Well I miss in until I go look in the garage or jump in the Jeep, then my frown is replaced by a shit eating grin and I am happy again. No regrets what so ever!!!

I think you are spot on at 5% for an in stock unit. The people who are getting more are usually on orders.

Jeeper18426572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler 2 Door Tank Green
Have you considered the JT?

OP
OP

mrussell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you considered the JT?
Somewhat. Issue, at least for me, is I built my exact ride and my local dealer has it in stock, literally 100% so even saving money, I'm going to compromise something on my list.

Jeeper18426572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler 2 Door Tank Green
Somewhat. Issue, at least for me, is I built my exact ride and my local dealer has it in stock, literally 100% so even saving money, I'm going to compromise something on my list.
They have what in stock? The JT?

Sponsored

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Take it from me, I glanced once in this forum and saw all the 5-7% under invoice deals and I canceled my 2018 order at full msrp. Then I started hearing issues from the first batch and I backed out. Been almost a year, I gave up on the game...the dealer don’t care, I’m the one that doesn’t win here. So find a local dealer with a deal you’re comfortable with, a couple grand here or there won’t break the bank, but the time I’ve wasted trying to find a better deal isn’t worth it...especially when you factor travel expenses or shipping when the jl arrives out of state.

OP
OP

mrussell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, the local dealer has a JL in stock that 100% matches my list, and even has it in my top three color choices. Just doing my due diligence before committing I think. Biggest thing is towing the ranger. I'm realistic. I know I'm coming from an F250 and I get it. Just need some reassurance that it will tow a small load fine.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Sorry, the local dealer has a JL in stock that 100% matches my list, and even has it in my top three color choices. Just doing my due diligence before committing I think. Biggest thing is towing the ranger. I'm realistic. I know I'm coming from an F250 and I get it. Just need some reassurance that it will tow a small load fine.
Does the deal feel right to you? Trust your gut. And you will be fine on the load. My understanding is the load is capped at 3500 since these are listed as convertibles. But someone else will be along to confirm that. Just make sure you get the tow package.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
First off, most people are really happy with the JL, so pay what you're comfortable with. I can tell you that if I didn't get 5400 off my Sahara, I'd still be happy paying more. It's definitely worth the money even if some don't agree.

Try to find an area with a lot of Jeep dealers near if you can. That's the best way to negotiate. Or find a dealer with the distance you're comfortable driving and have another offer on hand from a dealer far away. Make the up the difference with how long it would take you to drive to the other dealer. That's the easiest and best way to negotiate IMO.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Go for it, man. If it's got all the options you want, it's the color you want, and the price is right, then the universe has spoken. Of course, don't just take it as-is; see if you can't get them to shave a few more bucks off it. And while you aren't gonna have all that delicious torque your F250 had, the JL certainly won't have any problems towing your Polaris.
Sponsored