JimmyD

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Ocean Blue 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2021 JLUR with the 2.0 Turbo motor and NO E-Torque. I was looking at getting the Genesis Offroad dual battery setup, but I read in a few comments that my motor only has a single battery and not the dual battery found in the other Jeeps. Is that correct?
If you have stop and go option (Engine turns off when stopped) you have 2 batteries. Check your owners manual under batteries.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The purpose of these second batteries is to provide all power to required modules and components and all accessories whenever the jeep initiates an engine auto stop. For example when you come to a stop and the engine shuts off. As soon as the engine shuts off, all power within the jeep is provided by this second battery.

edit: in addition, the secondary batteries are what restart the engine at the end of every start/stop sequence. For example, when the red light turns green and you disengage the brake pedal and the engine starts up. The only time the main battery cranks the engine is when you get inside the vehicle and push to start.
With ESS, it's always the main battery that starts the engine. The aux battery is not connected to the starter during an auto stop.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
With ESS, it's always the main battery that starts the engine. The aux battery is not connected to the starter during an auto stop.
Thanks for the correction. This means that the etorque and ESS models work differently regarding this, as the etorque battery is what powers the BSG, which starts the motor at the end of every start/stop event.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
All of this confusion is due to Jeep changing the engines around

Early on all 2.0Ts had the ETorque. None of the 3.6s had it.

Then in 2020 I think it was only the Sahara 2.0Ts had the ETorque

and now none of the 2.0Ts have it, but all 3.6s do. So confusing all around.

ETorque = no second small battery, + 48V system
Non ETorque = second small aux battery, - 48V system
No, our 2020 Recon also has the 2.0T and Etorque.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
No, our 2020 Recon also has the 2.0T and Etorque.
Interesting. Learned something today. I looked up the order guides for 2020 and it looks like Recon was added in January 2020 based on Rubicon. Wonder why the Recon got the ETorque but not the Rubicon. Either way, lots of changes as years go on these wranglers.

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
All of this confusion is due to Jeep changing the engines around

Early on all 2.0Ts had the ETorque. None of the 3.6s had it.

Then in 2020 I think it was only the Sahara 2.0Ts had the ETorque

and now none of the 2.0Ts have it, but all 3.6s do. So confusing all around.

ETorque = no second small battery, + 48V system
Non ETorque = second small aux battery, - 48V system
To further add to the confusion:
2021 3.6 w/ auto trans has etorque.
2021 3.6 w/ manual trans has does not have etorgue.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, Jeep should have stayed with the large 48v e-torque on all ESS Wranglers from the start (pun intended 😜) this Option A should have been the only option for ESS.

The other methods seem less reliable.. i.e. Option B: the small extra 12v battery under the main one... I would have hated that!!!!
Option C: the no aux battery with larger alternator which is taking a beating with the ESS and will fail before all the other options above.

If they have to have ESS just do it right and don't apologize... people can turn it off with a button or a tune... Geeezus!!!

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Whew! Lots of confusion about the batteries here. Maybe I'll shoot a video for our youtube channel on this topic soon.

When the 2.0L engine came out, you could only get it WITH eTorque, which did NOT have the tiny aux battery under the fuse box, making the install of our dual battery system slightly easier, just less wires to deal with.

Later, Jeep started offering the JL with or without eTorque, so now there are some 2.0L models that DO have the tiny battery under the fuse box.

Also just to clarify, when we say it doesn't have 2 batteries, we aren't referring to the 48v battery bank that runs the eTorque system. We're talking only about the 2 under the hood.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Whew! Lots of confusion about the batteries here. Maybe I'll shoot a video for our youtube channel on this topic soon.

When the 2.0L engine came out, you could only get it WITH eTorque, which did NOT have the tiny aux battery under the fuse box, making the install of our dual battery system slightly easier, just less wires to deal with.

Later, Jeep started offering the JL with or without eTorque, so now there are some 2.0L models that DO have the tiny battery under the fuse box.

Also just to clarify, when we say it doesn't have 2 batteries, we aren't referring to the 48v battery bank that runs the eTorque system. We're talking only about the 2 under the hood.
So glad you mentioned the easier install of the Genesis dual battery setup with the 48v e-torque battery... I was wondering if there was an issue with having 3 batteries??? I think the more backup batteries the better but how would the extra aux battery work with the others? Which accessories would run off the 48V battery and which ones should/will run off the extra Genesis aux one? Seems like a good problem to have!!! That would be a good to learn in a new YouTube video... 💯

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
So glad you mentioned the easier install of the Genesis dual battery setup with the 48v e-torque battery... I was wondering if there was an issue with having 3 batteries??? I think the more backup batteries the better but how would the extra aux battery work with the others? Which accessories would run off the 48V battery and which ones should/will run off the extra Genesis aux one? Seems like a good problem to have!!! That would be a good to learn in a new YouTube video... 💯

Good question! The eTorque system's battery is strictly for providing electric assist to get the vehicle moving from a stop. Once the engine gets up to a certain rpm level, the gas engine takes over. This is designed to help you save a few drops of gas at take-off.

Vehicles with the eTorque system have a belt start generator instead of a traditional alternator. That BSG charges the 48v bank under the vehicle, and then from there it sends 12v back up to the cranking battery to keep it charged up.

With that factory system, if you have all your aftermarket electrical accessories attached to your main battery under the hood, and you drain that battery down, you're just stuck with a dead battery, that's it.

With our dual battery system, all of your aftermarket electrical accessories will run from the second battery and will not drain down your cranking battery. The whole idea of our system is to make sure you can start the engine. Even if you do end up with a dead cranking battery (all batteries eventually die), we have a boost button built in - press the boost button to link the batteries together just like using jumper cables to use the power from the second battery to help start the engine.

Sponsored

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Stop asking for answers and look in your manual... Might help to go to the source instead of here. Then you can become the guy that answers the questions accurately.
And just exactly where is this info in the owner' manual? I can't find it.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Simple solution. look under your own hood and do alittle digging for the second battery......
It's a LOT more than "a little digging". It is a pain in the neck to get to the small auxiliary battery location to see if one is there or not.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have stop and go option (Engine turns off when stopped) you have 2 batteries. Check your owners manual under batteries.

Sorry, the owner's manual DOES NOT explain this!