Sponsored

2.0 Engine Skid Plates

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
I placed my order on the 19th, and it arrived a week later. That's faster shipping than a lot of US-based vendors I've ordered from (looking at you LOD haha). I'm planning on installing them today or tomorrow, so I'll update on how that goes.

So far, the quality is excellent - not perfect, but you can tell it's going to hold up to some abuse. I see that others have complained about the lack of instructions and I think that is a bit much. The diagram provided is all you need to install it. There are only three parts to install, and they can only go in one place, plus they are labeled left/right. The only thing that will be challenging is fitting the brackets while laying under the vehicle.

I'll try and take a photo or two of the install.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I am guessing the difference is mine is a 2 Door.It just will not fit.There is an extreme gap and the bolts will not reach.Even if they did the Skid would be at an extreme angle.Thanks for all of your assistance we will see what Asfir says.
See here, how the coolant pipe mount is much higher to the body tub?

IMG_5555.png

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
So it seems that the cross brace that is removed in the first step is not put back on? It does not serve any structural purpose?

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
How was it anger? You are the one who is venting on here over instructions where some kind forum member posted photos just a couple days ago in this same thread.

If you want to post over problems great - we all want to hear and help. But when the answers you seek you choose to ignore it becomes a waste of my time to read your post.
This is what I wrote:

"Very nice product, but I have never seen such a lack of instructions. No videos either."

Two other members were also commenting on this lack of instructions with far stronger language than I was using, perhaps you confused my statement of fact with what they had said. When I began writing that comment, the posting of photos from the kind member you mentioned had not yet appeared on the forum. Nonetheless, what I said is as true now as it was before---nice product, poor instructions. Hostile comments like the one you posted only serve to creat a negative atmosphere. Next time you find yourself in a foul mood try taking a cold shower instead of taking it out on a fellow forum member.

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
See here, how the coolant pipe mount is much higher to the body tub?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates IMG_5555
I really appreciate all of your help they are going to credit for the bracket here is what they have said
Thank you for all the photos and explanations – much appreciated.

This is the first time that we are aware of this bracket on the JL vehicle. This is not assembled on any of the models that were imported to Israel.

We would appreciate it if you could try and check from your side if this is assembled on a specific model of the JL only or any other information that could help us for future reference.

In any case we apologize for any inconvenience caused and will credit your PayPal account for the cost of this item($102) and the proportionate freight charge ($24).Please confirm that this is acceptable.

Regarding the plate itself – we are checking and will advise you what to do with it shortly.

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate all of your help they are going to credit for the bracket here is what they have said
Thank you for all the photos and explanations – much appreciated.

This is the first time that we are aware of this bracket on the JL vehicle. This is not assembled on any of the models that were imported to Israel.

We would appreciate it if you could try and check from your side if this is assembled on a specific model of the JL only or any other information that could help us for future reference.

In any case we apologize for any inconvenience caused and will credit your PayPal account for the cost of this item($102) and the proportionate freight charge ($24).Please confirm that this is acceptable.

Regarding the plate itself – we are checking and will advise you what to do with it shortly.
They have good customer service. I just ordered the skid for the 3.6. I have a manual transmission which is not imported to Israel. Leonard has been very responsive to my inquiries. Apparently I’m going to be the Guinea pig for a manual install. I don’t foresee any issues other than I will have to source the bolt for the factory skid as the manuals don’t have one. I know this is a 2.0 thread but I will be posting my install here.

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
They have good customer service. I just ordered the skid for the 3.6. I have a manual transmission which is not imported to Israel. Leonard has been very responsive to my inquiries. Apparently I’m going to be the Guinea pig for a manual install. I don’t foresee any issues other than I will have to source the bolt for the factory skid as the manuals don’t have one. I know this is a 2.0 thread but I will be posting my install here.
You should start another thread to help your fellow 3.6 Brothers out

aquaxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara '20
Folks, who have installed ASFIR engine skid, what you did with the end of captive nut? In my case it just sticking out of frame hole, but I'm not sure that is right...

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Folks, who have installed ASFIR engine skid, what you did with the end of captive nut? In my case it just sticking out of frame hole, but I'm not sure that is right...
I just left mine with a couple extra bends in it. It’s not near anything. Will probably cut it at some point but I don’t see any harm in leaving it, at least where mine is.

Sponsored

aquaxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara '20
I just left mine with a couple extra bends in it. It’s not near anything. Will probably cut it at some point but I don’t see any harm in leaving it, at least where mine is.
Yeah, no harm, but It's a bit weird that something sticking out from aperture in the frame.
I will probably bend tail to fit it completely inside frame.

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
I finally had some time to install the skid. It was a straightforward installation; it was completed in about 30 minutes. My recommendation for any install is to take a moment and get familiar with all of the hardware so you can visualize where it all goes. This kit has very little hardware, so there should be no confusion.

I started with the left side bracket because I figured the capture nut would be the trickiest part of the whole job. I recommend that you lay directly under the frame rail so you can clearly see how you need to bend the rod. I found it was easiest to use some locking pliers to hold and manipulate the capture nut. Insert the nut through the aperture in the frame located in the wheel well. (see the last photo)

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.40.19 PM

The right side bracket is easy. Just pop in the retaining nut and you're go to go.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.40.59 PM

Once you have both brackets loosely installed, you can go ahead and install the skidplate. I found it was easiest to lay with my head to the back of the Jeep and use my knees to hold the skid plate attaching the rear bolts first.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.38.48 PM

From here it's just a matter of securing in the remaining 13mm bolts with the nylon locknuts.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.42.08 PM

The capture nut was hardly noticeable so I didn't bother trimming it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.39.53 PM

I know others have already posted some instructions, but I figured it would be helpful to have some additional pointers.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Yeah, no harm, but It's a bit weird that something sticking out from aperture in the frame.
That’s a good idea and should be easy to do.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Every tab nut on the jeep hangs outside the frame - its why they exist. This one is not different.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Different question time- has anyone changed the oil with this installed yet?
I see there are holes to accommodate this, but any real-world experiences?
Thanks.
Sponsored