Sponsored

Base Model Drivers...Do you hate roll-up windows/manual locks?

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I have an 18 base sport, only add on was a hardtop. Roll down windows are actually a plus for me because 90% of the time in winters in MN, the power windows freeze up, not the hand cranks, just power through that s**t. Also if you forget to roll them up and turn the car off, then you dont have to turn the car back on.

As for locks, I spent $250 in parts and was able to do power locks in my 4 door in a few hrs. The only con is there is no security system.

RatherDashing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
My car before this was manual everything. I'm glad I got power. Cranking the passenger window while doing 55 is just asking for an accident.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Since my kids are older, and I have a 2 door, I don’t regret not getting the electronic locks or windows. And, half doors are in my future, so when that happens, I tell myself that I am happy I didn’t spend the money on electric locks and Windows that don’t work, when hanging in my garage. ;)

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
loving the fact that i have to crank the windows or manually un / lock the doors.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
They probably think the exact opposite. Too many would buy it and not the nicer rubicon version. I'd buy the stripped down 2 dr version especially if it came with factory half doors!
You’re right- the options are where the money’s at.

That’s my dream build by the way. My jeep, exactly how it is now, except with half doors, power nothing, the 7” screen (which I have) and the Alpine stereo (which I don’t have). Pipe dream, I know.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I love MANUAL door locks, and roll up windows

How much effort does it take to press a “lock button”...about the same effort that it takes to push a remote “Lock” button.

I don’t know about you guys.....but once my mirrors are adjusted....there is NO need to adjust them further....SO NO need for electric power windows.

Unless I am at the “Drive Thru”....I don’t roll down my windows....even if I did....it’s NOT worth the $ Cost and complexity that power windows bring.....for “MAYBE” rolling the window down once a day.

I have Both .....a TJ Sport and a Rubicon. Both are daily drivers and honestly, I wish my Rubicon had the option for NON-powered Windows, locks and mirrors. Don’t need them and they make the Jeep unnecessarily complicated. Mopar loves them...and the extra $$ that come with the price tag.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Before the JL I had a TJ with everything manual and liked it that way. I would have liked a JL Rubicon with the manual door option...

Mach1dmb

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm glad this thread exists, I came here for the same question. I'm looking at a bare bones 2020 unlimited in manual and wondering the same. I already drive a 15-year-old beater Honda with no power locks or windows...I even have to crawl through the passenger side to unlock the driver. At the same time my F150 that I'd be selling is fully loaded, and although awesome it is too much. I prefer manual windows- you can get the height exactly how you want it without going back and forth, you dont need keys to use it, and something less to break. I find myself trying to limit my use of all the gadgets in my F150 because subconsciously I feel like I'm slowly breaking things, which I know is crazy. When I drive my beater I have no worries, and I prefer the simplicity...I even prefer using an FM transmitter to play music from an iPod.

The main concern I have with the Sport is resale value and having to manually unlock the rear doors. I live in the northeast, so I would also miss my heated seats and autostart.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
it would be nice if they made a stripper version of the Rubicon which would be a base sport with the rubi axles/lockers/transfer case and disco. they probably think people wouldnt buy it. i would.
I've thought the same thing for a while. I would have been all over one and I think Jeep would sell a ton of them. At least make the Rubicon axles, etc. an option for a base Sport.

As it is I'm really tempted to pick up some Rubicon take-off axles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
DUDE!! me too! i actually have my seat forward a bit more just so it doesn't it the bone part of my knee
Have you thought about removing the handle, and putting it back on with the crank oriented in the opposite direction ? If it’s stops at the 3 o’clock position......re oriented it to stop at the 9 o’clock position.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Have you thought about removing the handle, and putting it back on with the crank oriented in the opposite direction ? If it’s stops at the 3 o’clock position......re oriented it to stop at the 9 o’clock position.
This is what I did, very simply to move them to better positions.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have owned enough stripped down cars to know not having power windows etc absolutely sucks! And in the 20 or so cars i have owned over the past 30 years i have never had to replace a window motor. And one of those was an Eagle Talon so that is saying a lot.
Damn..... I keep my vehicles as long as I can....especially when I don’t have a car payment to make.
But 20 Cars in 30 years is about 1 New car every year and 3 months.... You are either loaded with $$$ or your throwing away $$$. All financial planners advise to keep cars as long as you can and to put your $$$ in your retirement account rather than throwing it away on your he latest wiz bang new toy that comes along.
You must have $$$ to burn

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6

Damn..... I keep my vehicles as long as I can....especially when I don’t have a car payment to make.
But 20 Cars in 30 years is about 1 New car every year and 3 months.... You are either loaded with $$$ or your throwing away $$$. All financial planners advise to keep cars as long as you can and to put your $$$ in your retirement account rather than throwing it away on your he latest wiz bang new toy that comes along.
You must have $$$ to burn
Not really, a lot of them were under $1,000 when i was younger and could not afford anything nice. One of them was also given to me, which was an incredible POS. Plus i have been married 25 years, wife needs a car too.

My DD is 13 years old 190,000k miles and on its 3rd set of tires. But i can see how not thinking of different possibilities would lead you to that conclusion.

Last edited: