Sponsored

Base Model Drivers...Do you hate roll-up windows/manual locks?

aseemer

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Hello.

I'm considering the base model and wondered if members with the base model ended up hating the roll up windows and manual locks....especially for 4 doors. Should I just pay up for the Sport S? Interested in whether you can live with it or if you seriously regret it.

Thank you.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I lived for 10 years and 130k miles with a YJ and soft top with 1/2 doors. I had zipper windows. I loved every minute of it. Manual roll up/down windows would have been a luxury.

That said, on a 4 door, manual windows/locks would be a bit of a pain, but with a manual transmission and soft top, who needs locks? Lol! I learned in my YJ the hard way that a knife unlocks a soft top Jeep, so from about 1995 until I sold it in 2005, I never locked the YJ. Heck, my JL spends about 90% of the summer months with no doors, so no biggie.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Dan brings up a great point.....

Ask yourself this question:
• How much do you plan on having the doors off?
• If the answer is... Most of the summer. Then I would think that manual locks and windows would not be a big deal.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

its funny, my first vehicle was a mazda mini truck with roll up windows and i could not WAIT to get power windows. 25+ years later, it doesnt bother me at all. i leave them up with the a/c on. it would be nice for when i need to hear a spotter on a trail but i can easily lean over to roll the window down when i need to.

i always leave the doors unlocked. its a soft top.. i dont leave anything inside that i would miss if stolen. so, even with kids, never an issue because the doors are always unlocked anyways.

since i was good with the roll up windows there was nothing that the S had that i was willing to pay $$$ more for. it would have been about $6 more.

i was planning on having my doors off most of the time but havent gotten to that point yet lol

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I personally got a base sport. I was trying to buy a modern version of the jeep my dad had when I was little so manual windows, locks, and gearbox were a must for me. It's a 2 door so I really don't mind. I think if I had the 4 door I would probably spring for power locks. You can't reach over and unlock the back doors.

By the way my base sport is the first vehicle I have ever driven or owned with any and all of the manual options.

Sponsored

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I went from a pretty loaded for it's time 08 JK to a Bone stock 19 Sport, only option is the hardtop/tinted windows. I don't really miss the electric windows. The locks I do miss. I can't believe that wasnt just a stock feature for every model by now. Especially since every model gets push to start and a GIANT key fob.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I like the roll up windows and manual door locks just fine in my 2019 JLU Sport. Have you ever changed a electric window motor in a door? I have. A real PITA. Not to mention it's a lighter rig without all that crap in it. Sure, sometimes it's a little inconvenient but I can live with it.

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I realize I didn't really answer your question about regretting. No. I don't regret the base model for those reasons at all. It's the Uconnect 5 that I regret. I HATE it so much. It's my fault for not researching enough, and just assuming aftermarket radios were available 2 years into its life.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
The only window I actually NEED to open and close from the driver's seat is the driver's window. Locking doors? When is it necessary to lock and unlock from driver's seat?

Only S item I really have to have is the air conditioner.

So no, no regrets.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I think if you even have to ask, you have your answer.

Follow the thread where power locks were installed after the fact. Lots of people do regret it.

My avatar pretty much explains why I wanted power windows.

And to each his own but for some reason my favorite repairs are in-door repairs. I like the "Operation" aspect of it for some reason....pw motors, regulators and pdl solenoids some of the most fun for me (shrug). I like drilling out in-door rivets and finding new ways to anchor the replacements, too....

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Windows... for me, not that big of a deal; I don't really use them that much; mostly just the gas station. Power locks... I'll be adding them at some point. It rains most of the year here, so I'm not open to the world most of the time. Contrary to how others leave their soft tops unlocked, I think locks are still worthwhile, even if it may increase the risk of someone damaging the soft top. If someone's breaking in, at least it's obvious that they are. Manual locks are such a massive pain in the ass after having power locks in my daily driver for 20 years. Power locks are an easy add-on aftermarket though, with the only real downside being the remote not integrated into the key.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I can't say that i hate the windows or doors being manual. I can roll down the driver and passenger windows pretty easily and can unlock the rear doors from the front, just takes some contorting to do. I dislike the 5 inch radio more than the doors or windows, and an added benefit is how light the doors are when i take them off, especially the rear.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I went from a pretty loaded for it's time 08 JK to a Bone stock 19 Sport, only option is the hardtop/tinted windows. I don't really miss the electric windows. The locks I do miss. I can't believe that wasnt just a stock feature for every model by now. Especially since every model gets push to start and a GIANT key fob.
So what does your keyfob look like if it doesn't have lock and unlock? Just a giant panic button?

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2023 JLUR on order
So what does your keyfob look like if it doesn't have lock and unlock? Just a giant panic button?
I test drove a base sport, and it's a big ol' blank piece of black rubber. It's awesomely unnecessary, and made me laugh.

JL FTWORTH

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport, 2021 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first vehicle to have roll up windows and I thought it would be a lot more of a problem than it is. I don't have my doors off as much as I would like but if I had to go back I don't think I would have paid the extra for Sport S. Also I never leave anything in the Jeep so the manual locks aren't a problem. Twice I have had people rummage through it at night but the most they stole was a free pair of sunglasses so no biggie.
Sponsored