Msmitty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I had mine completed yesterday. Here are my observations as a guy that generally does all my own work. First I have a 2D sport that has a 4d rubicon suspension on it and I put on the Mopar longer lower control arms - Which by the way helped overall with return to center issues (read wandering). I am running 6.2 degrees camber now with the longer control arms. I gained a tad over 2 inches lift using the 4 door rubi take off suspension.

So, even before I did the lift I was noticing that each day driving the reverberation in the steering going over bumps was getting a tad worse over time. A month and a half after install I got the V41 notice and by that time, it was getting very close to full death wobble. Not fully but on certain types of uneven pavement at high speed, I was feeling sustained harmonic frequency issues in the steering.

So I have the V41 done, and yes correctly - but while I had it in the shop, since it is easy for them to do on a lift, I had them check each and every part of the front suspension system for tightness - including lower and upper control arms, drag, pitman, steering box itself, ball joints, sway bar links upper and lower, tie rod, and track bar.

So the difference so far has been surreal. First of all, the steering is about 35% tighter overall. I have 4 other cars and it's tighter than any of them (I love it). Secondly, center play (deadness) is mostly eliminated (It was already tracking very straight with 6.2 degrees camber and returning to center quickly). And lastly the reverberation over those same bumps is all but eliminated. It is so much better than even my JK was (Not to mention my ages ago CJ5 , lol). It really feels like a different Jeep now. Will this last? I am not sure, but if it doesn't I'll be going with a different stabilizer. Was it the new steering stabilizer or them going over the entire suspension that made the huge difference? Again, I'm not sure but glad I had them do both.

Question, did they charge you to spec up all the suspension bolts? I would like them to do that since I put my lift on a few months ago. The SS is on backorder here so they can't even do it yet...
Sponsored

7below

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
All the dealer has to do is an inspection to mark the recall as completed.

From my FCA approval notice:

Also, since it is still showing on our system that the V41 recall is not yet completed, we highly advise to have the vehicle inspected at an FCA dealership as soon as possible. No worries there won't be any charge for it.

Your response from FCA makes more sense to me. This is what mine said: In line with Recall V41, our system shows that the said recall on your vehicle is still in incomplete status. We kindly advise you to bring your vehicle to the dealership to have it performed and completed. Please be informed that a recall repair in a dealership is done free of charge.

Which to me meant have it redone. I have to schedule an appointment to have my Jeep calibrated for the 35 inch tires I put on so I will see if they can just inspect and mark complete then.

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
Question, did they charge you to spec up all the suspension bolts? I would like them to do that since I put my lift on a few months ago. The SS is on backorder here so they can't even do it yet...
They did charge me. I didn't mind though. My peace of mind was worth it.

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
V41 done just before picked her up but not happy so went to the dealer , they have advised a follow up service bulletin needs doing.

Not sure what yet they are waiting on parts, will post up once I know more

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read through this thread so forgive me if I repeat information already covered. I have had steering issues since I bought my JL in July of last year and have been following some of the other threads regarding this issue. I got the V41 recall done, which I do not expect to fix the wander. While I was there they advised me there was a recall for the track bar that is supposed to fix the wandering and need for constant corrections. Has anybody had this done? I declined to have it done since I have an RK 2.5" lift. Just curious if anybody had it done and if that was truly "the fix," that we have all been searching for.

Mike

Sponsored

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
They did charge me. I didn't mind though. My peace of mind was worth it.
I also asked them to spec up all of my stock suspension bolts and it was not listed that they completed this on my receipt. I asked the service advisor if it was done and he gave me some weird reason why it was not on the paper and stated he told them face to face. I brought my Jeep to the dealer previously for loose suspension bolts and it alleviated some of the more severe correction and wander issues I was having but was not a total fix.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read through this thread so forgive me if I repeat information already covered. I have had steering issues since I bought my JL in July of last year and have been following some of the other threads regarding this issue. I got the V41 recall done, which I do not expect to fix the wander. While I was there they advised me there was a recall for the track bar that is supposed to fix the wandering and need for constant corrections. Has anybody had this done? I declined to have it done since I have an RK 2.5" lift. Just curious if anybody had it done and if that was truly "the fix," that we have all been searching for.

Mike
The track bar is a service bulletin (TSB) not a recall. If you're on the stock trackbar it may help with wandering.

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
I also asked them to spec up all of my stock suspension bolts and it was not listed that they completed this on my receipt. I asked the service advisor if it was done and he gave me some weird reason why it was not on the paper and stated he told them face to face. I brought my Jeep to the dealer previously for loose suspension bolts and it alleviated some of the more severe correction and wander issues I was having but was not a total fix.
They listed each thing done on mine (and it matched what I asked to be done), thankfully as I generally don't trust a dealer what-so-ever. I will still likely get a Rancho adjustable track bar for mine sometime soon and I'd like to get some adjustable disconnect sway bar links soon.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So I have the V41 done, and yes correctly - but while I had it in the shop, since it is easy for them to do on a lift, I had them check each and every part of the front suspension system for tightness - including lower and upper control arms, drag, pitman, steering box itself, ball joints, sway bar links upper and lower, tie rod, and track bar.

So the difference so far has been surreal. First of all, the steering is about 35% tighter overall. I have 4 other cars and it's tighter than any of them (I love it). Secondly, center play (deadness) is mostly eliminated (It was already tracking very straight with 6.2 degrees caster and returning to center quickly). And lastly the reverberation over those same bumps is all but eliminated. It is so much better than even my JK was (Not to mention my ages ago CJ5 , lol). It really feels like a different Jeep now. Will this last? I am not sure, but if it doesn't I'll be going with a different stabilizer. Was it the new steering stabilizer or them going over the entire suspension that made the huge difference? Again, I'm not sure but glad I had them do both.
My experience was that the V41 stabilizer did *nothing* for my steering issues. A couple days ago, my husband tightened the sway bar links to spec (they were loose) and that made a much bigger difference in the scary looseness I had. The too-much play on center (around 3") is still present, however.

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
My experience was that the V41 stabilizer did *nothing* for my steering issues. A couple days ago, my husband tightened the sway bar links to spec (they were loose) and that made a much bigger difference in the scary looseness I had. The too-much play on center (around 3") is still present, however.
Obviously no two situations are the same, but I suggest doing what I did - Get it all tightened

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine done today, correctly I might add. I have had no problems with my dealer. They deserve a GOOD mention. I deal with Oxmoor Jeep in Louisville Ky. Great dealership.

5808DBB0-0C58-41F5-AE3F-4DAF4C659657.jpeg

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Your response from FCA makes more sense to me. This is what mine said: In line with Recall V41, our system shows that the said recall on your vehicle is still in incomplete status. We kindly advise you to bring your vehicle to the dealership to have it performed and completed. Please be informed that a recall repair in a dealership is done free of charge.

Which to me meant have it redone. I have to schedule an appointment to have my Jeep calibrated for the 35 inch tires I put on so I will see if they can just inspect and mark complete then.
It's (sort of) unbelievable that we're getting inconsistent results and responses for the same issue. You'd think they'd have a single, scripted response for each result to distribute. Telemarketers are a scourge, but at least they're organized.

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ

Mike
Hey Mike,

I have been through it too with my 2018 JLU and here is what I have found.
Toe needs to be set for a total of 0.34 - 0.36 per FCA Help Desk.
Caster needs to be at least 6.
Track bar needs to be replaced according to FCA and my local shop who are familiar with the JL problems.

After all that I would be surprised if it didn't drive as best as possible.
The only other variable is the steering gearbox but most of the time that would be the last thing to replace.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Cheers

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Also after getting the V41 steering damper done , I think the steering feels a little tighter, feels better, handles better.