Sponsored

2.0L Turbo non-BSG engine

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Cant wait for the first 2020 2.0 turbo non-BSG to get delivered so we can hear all the details about them!
Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
You may be correct. I haven’t seen any specs on the 2.0 non-BSG though to know if it is “less powerful” or not.

I guess we will have to see. I will test drive the engine when it arrives and make a decision.
I mean people will point to the dyno figures on the European 2.0T (without E-torque) as being identical, and that is technically correct.

But dyno runs don't pick up low-RPM performance at all, which IMHO is where the difference is between the current 2.0 and 3.6. The instant-torque of the current 2.0T feels much quicker off-the-line and through passing manuevers even at speed.

If you could blind test-drive the 2.0T w/E-torque vs the "vanilla" 2.0T I would bet that people would choose the E-torque every time.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Since I have the 2.0 BSG, I will report on the difference, if any, as soon as a non BSG 2.0 T comes to my dealer to try out. I would prefer the weight savings (100+lbs), and "relative" simplicity of the non BSG. Having said that, I do love the responsiveness and fun factor of mine, "as is ".

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Since I have the 2.0 BSG, I will report on the difference, if any, as soon as a non BSG 2.0 T comes to my dealer to try out. I would prefer the weight savings (100+lbs), and "relative" simplicity of the non BSG. Having said that, I do love the responsiveness and fun factor of mine, "as is ".
Thank you and please please do asap! Very helpful and glad you are liking yours.

Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Weight savings is dumb when most immediately add steel bumpers, rock rails, bigger tires, etc.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I am waiting for the first of the 2.0-non-BSG to show up on the dealer lots. I am quite sure that this engine is the one I want but, I want to take a spin with it before I buy. Just call me old school!
It is the one I purchased two weeks ago - traded my v6. Yellow JLUR. Just came off the truck - had 2 miles when I test drove it with all the plastic coverings still on.

JLUR-2020.PNG

JLUR-2020-2.PNG

Last edited:

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
It is the one I purchased two weeks ago - traded my v6. Yellow JLUR. Just came off the truck - had 2 miles when I test drove it with all the plastic coverings still on.

JLUR-2020.PNG

JLUR-2020-2.PNG
So...what’s the verdict? :)

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
So...what’s the verdict? :)
This is what I posted just an hour ago in the other thread.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-on-2020-jl-rubicon.33114/page-2#post-819021

"Having driven both, I don't see much difference in performance on the highway but slight difference initially on lower RPMs.
I see a difference also of about 1 mpg though not measured scientifically (on 91 octane fuel).
One noticeable difference is on coolant and oil temperatures - on the same route where I used to not exceed more than 212 degrees F on oil temp, I see 224-226 degrees F but I mostly drove the etorque in winter and the 2020 model in Vegas summer.
Another noticable difference is on ESS - it was a very silent start on etorque, whereas it sounds like the V6 starting on the non etorque one."

And of course $1000 less without the BSG.

JLUR-3.PNG

Last edited:

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
This is what I posted just an hour ago in the other thread.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-on-2020-jl-rubicon.33114/page-2#post-819021

"Having driven both, I don't see much difference in performance on the highway but slight difference initially on lower RPMs.
I see a difference also of about 1 mpg though not measured scientifically (on 91 octane fuel).
One noticeable difference is on coolant and oil temperatures - on the same route where I used to not exceed more than 212 degrees F on oil temp, I see 224-226 degrees F but I mostly drove the etorque in winter and the 2020 model in Vegas summer.
Another noticable difference is on ESS - it was a very silent start on etorque, whereas it sounds like the V6 starting on the non etorque one."

And of course $1000 less without the BSG.

JLUR-3.PNG
So in other words, exactly as I predicted...you lose some low-end power and the super-smooth ESS (and potentially MPGs).

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I've received my new 2020 JLR on Saturday and already took it to the mountains for some wheeling. I don't have any experience with the BSG but I really like the 2.0L T. It is very powerful climbing the highway into the Rockies and was great on the trails. The only possible negative I can say is that a couple of times I had to shift down manually on the trail because the engine lost torque at <1500 rpm and would not shift down automatically. However, I never felt any lack of power while crawling on rocks. Climbing on a ~1.5 ft vertical rock with one wheel with lockers on was easy.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I've received my new 2020 JLR on Saturday and already took it to the mountains for some wheeling. I don't have any experience with the BSG but I really like the 2.0L T. It is very powerful climbing the highway into the Rockies and was great on the trails. The only possible negative I can say is that a couple of times I had to shift down manually on the trail because the engine lost torque at <1500 rpm and would not shift down automatically. However, I never felt any lack of power while crawling on rocks. Climbing on a ~1.5 ft vertical rock with one wheel with lockers on was easy.
I noticed the same thing during the first 2000 miles or so, the downshift is sometimes delayed at low speeds. But in my experience with three new JLURs so far, it finally gets it right by 2-2.5k miles. It usually happens to me on freeway ramps. I usually take the foot of the gas pedal for a moment and it downshifts. My guess is that it has a learning period of your driving style.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 2020 non-BSG engine this weekend in a JLUR (I am ordering a 2 dr JLR but they didn't have any 2020 2dr 2.0's).

My impression was that the engine was a bit more frenetic than the BSG turbo. Meaning, not quite as smooth from acceleration from a stop, and you felt the turbo spool up (with teeny bit of lag) a bit more. But to be clear - it wasn't night and day, and above 2kRPM it still pulled light the freight train it is. Just not as linear as the BSG engine. And it seemed to be a bit noiser, clearly more than the V6. Again, a matter of smaller degree.

I also drove a 2 dr. V6 JLR. Liked it too, but could feel how the non-BSG turbo still had more "pull" than the V6 as the revs climbed. If this makes sense, I could kind of feel how much of fuel hog the V6 was, when I put my foot into it, the on-demand MPG indicator was more like 2-4 mpg vs the turbo which was like 7-10 mpg.

I am ready to order a 2020 JLR right now, but for the life of me, I can't quite decide between the 2.0 non-BSG or the V6. I have a daily one way commute that starts with 15 miles of rural roads at 50-60mph, followed by 8 miles of start/stop traffic. I'm intrigued at the turbo as I live at the base of PNW mountain range, and the turbo is nice in the passes during any weekend trail trips, even if 90% of my driving will be flat near sea level. While I value MPGs, I mostly value range, and not having to fuel up as frequently.

I may be tempted opt for the 3.6 mainly due to long term reliability and concerns over the Direct Injection issues (less so the turbo, as I have two other cars with twin turbos, both diesels, which I love). I can't believe the engine choice is such a hard question for me, I figured it would be more clearly apparent, but I seem to change my mind every other day.

I wish this choice were clearer.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Personal choice, BUT... I have a 2018 2.0 T, BSG. 2 Dr Sport, 8000 miles. So much Fun, makes me smile every time I head out. I'm getting fuel economy in the high 20s, using non-ethanol 90/ 91 octane. Direct Injection extra maintenance concerns? A "catch can" will alleviate those worries. You know you want it, Resistance is Futile !
Sponsored