Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
I've got two inexpensive REXING VP1 cameras (the rear camera that comes with the dual camera is 640x480 resolution and not good for nighttime use) . They are the only ones I've seen that are really small & you can mount directly on a vertical windshield and get a proper view. Mount up high on both the windshield and the back window. Been running these for the past 2-3 years and they are bulletproof. The only issue I have is having to change the time for DST/EST

dashcam.jpg
Try aiming just above the forehead

Your shots are dead on but little low

Just sayn
Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Wow, very mature response there buddy...the point is that dashcams are illegal in almost half of all states and their footage / usage is not even admissible in court.
Oh really? How about some searching before making such uninformed statements.
According to your profile you're a teacher?? In NJ?? Glad you're not teaching my kids.

https://www.injurytriallawyer.com/faqs/can-footage-from-my-gopro-or-dashcam-be-used-in-court-.cfm

https://dashcamerasreviews.com/dashboard-camera-legality-usa/

Last edited:

Sponsored

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Wow, very mature response there buddy...the point is that dashcams are illegal in almost half of all states and their footage / usage is not even admissible in court.
Dash cams aren't illegal heck you smoking??

Of course you can use footage in court as evidence..

Your elevator obviously doesnt go all the way to the top

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Dash cameras are illegal in most states. Why is nobody even talking about that? They are windshield obstructions, not to mention data privacy laws...restrictions...etc.
Citation? There are no dash cam laws Im aware from ANY state. Sure, windshield obstructions are, but there are plenty of cameras that don't obstruct the windshield (ie blackvue).

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Dash cameras are illegal in most states. Why is nobody even talking about that? They are windshield obstructions, not to mention data privacy laws...restrictions...etc.
“Most” States means a majority. So, in 26 states or more, they are illegal? Can you cite me a reference in, oh, 3 States, that Dash Cams are illegal? Now, if you go with the “windshield obstruction” argument, you MAY be correct that SOME dash cams may be considered an obstruction. However, some of them are smaller than some state-toll-road-authority EZ-Tag thingies. Hard to make an argument that a Dash Cam is an obstruction when it is actually smaller than the toll tag.

Can you explain what you mean by “Data privacy laws”? Better yet, can you cite me an actual example that a Dashcam, that takes pictures only, is in violation of “data privacy laws” at either the State or Federal level?

I am aware of entire fleets of commercial trucks owned by huge companies that have Dashcams in them. Hard to imagine that these companies are in violation of state laws in at least 26 states. There are several companies that sell solutions to commercial fleets. LyTx is one. Their clients include huge trucking companies as well as government entities. You should write to them all and tell them that they are illegally operating.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
upload_2019-4-30_18-44-33.png

sorry, had to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Soft top is actually harder to break in.
Break the side window glass is faster and easier for thieves.
Would you ever leave your cam with the top off? Just curious. I want a cam on my next car.

MonkeyRider

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Would you ever leave your cam with the top off? Just curious. I want a cam on my next car.
Dash cam is pretty small and almost hidden behind rear view mirror.
I often park my jeep top down (with the doors on) at the beach, trail and of course mall mostly OC area.
Well, I wouldn't do that in "some area" but most of the place, I'm not worry.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
This is exactly why I want to get a dash cam. I just wish someone would offer a decent quality 2 camera system (front and rear facing) with a hidden or remote mounted DVR that doesn't break the bank. There's one on Amazon but it doesn't have the greatest reputation.

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I'm using a Mobius Max with an under the rear view mirror mount so the police don't arrest me for obstructing a windshield. And as long as I'm not in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsssssssylvania, or Washington I can record whoever I want because everywhere else is an 1 person consent state.

Power is a difficult one. I'm in an 1 person consent state, but it's a hot 1 person consent state so a lithium battery is a bad idea in the summer. Instead it's a super capacitor with a USB cable running up into the rear view mirror base, along the windshield, down the A column, tucked behind the glove box, and popping back up through the trim around the gearbox. From there it plugs into the Jeep's USB port, but I use a right angle adapter so it's stays flush with the plastic. If anyone's curious, that is 10 feet of USB cord.

Jeeps provide power for one hour on that port and I'm paranoid about battery drains so I have an on/off USB switch just to be sure. I'm usually good about turning it on and off. I'd be better off wiring it directly to the fuse box, but I'm not good with electricity.

The only cool thing I've ever captured was a double rainbow.

dashcam.jpg

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Pro tip. If you are at a Light, Stop Sign, or moving thru Stop-n-go traffic; if you can not see the rear wheels of the car in front of you touching the pavement, you are too close.

In the video it is clear that the OP was rolling up on the vehicle in front of him until his back up lights came on.
Sponsored