• Total voters

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Well I’m on the fence. I was supposed to change tires days ago but held off.
I have upgraded to 35 nittos and it’s sluggish for my 6 speed rubi.
Options are regear or back to stock.
I’ll lose money selling my tires and rims-
And I have to buy new tires and rims (because of offset) to go back to stock because I sold my OEM.
I do not offroad at all except for beach now and then.
Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
First of all if you do not wheel it was never necessary to change out. If I were you Lisa I would sell take the loss and go back to your 33s. They are plenty good for the beach and much better on highway. Terra grapplers are what I would recommend for tires, stay away from those ten ply sidewall ratings, to stiff and heavy for good mileage. The terra Grappler Nitto's come in standard and XL load ratings which are fine to use. Hope this helps you, someone will buy your tires and if they are almost new discount tire will sometimes trade! they gave me $500.00 for my OEM's.
Good luck!

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I went from stock to 33x12s on my Sport S for this reason - and so I could ease into even larger tires later on with the supplemental upgrades needed to do it right.

For your use case, if I were you, I’d move back to stock (alternative solution below). Hard to justify rehearing if you don’t off road and you’re not willing to live with current performance. If you did wheel, i would regear of course.

If you’re looking at adding more aggressive style, consider a 33x12 tire. You’re staying stock height but gaining 3”s width and will give a nice stance over stock without the performance loss. This has been my experience with my tires on the Sport S w/ auto tranny.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I went from stock to 33x12s on my Sport S for this reason - and so I could ease into even larger tires later on with the supplemental upgrades needed to do it right.

For your use case, if I were you, I’d move back to stock (alternative solution below). Hard to justify rehearing if you don’t off road and you’re not willing to live with current performance. If you did wheel, i would regear of course.

If you’re looking at adding more aggressive style, consider a 33x12 tire. You’re staying stock height but gaining 3”s width and will give a nice stance over stock without the performance loss. This has been my experience with my tires on the Sport S w/ auto tranny.
3" of width is a considerable weight change, that's where your performance loss will appear.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re looking at adding more aggressive style, consider a 33x12 tire. You’re staying stock height but gaining 3”s width and will give a nice stance over stock without the performance loss.
Rubicons come with 285/70/17s. A 33x12 would net less than an inch per tire in terms of width. I’m assuming your math is based on the tires that came from factory on your Sport S?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Supercharger!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just your perception that that it is now sluggish or did you do some pre and post timed trials? Making that small of a change shouldn't be too noticeable in performance. If you added aftermarket bumpers plus lift plus roof rack and went to 37" or better tires you would start to see some change.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I’m on the fence. I was supposed to change tires days ago but held off.
I have upgraded to 35 nittos and it’s sluggish for my 6 speed rubi.
Options are regear or back to stock.
I’ll lose money selling my tires and rims-
And I have to buy new tires and rims (because of offset) to go back to stock because I sold my OEM.
I do not offroad at all except for beach now and then.
If it was me, I wouldn’t regear for what you’re using it for. Have you considered a pedal commander or idrive throttle controller they don’t give you any added horsepower but a better response will feel like it? Your Jeep looks really good with the 35s. I don’t think I would switch back, just my opinion...:)

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
305/65/17 is the closest thing I can find.
33x12.5 and 33x11.5 are what I would call comparable. I assume they're looking at 12.5", which is significantly wider than the stock rubicon tires.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
33x12.5 and 33x11.5 are what I would call comparable. I assume they're looking at 12.5", which is significantly wider than the stock rubicon tires.
Well aware on all accounts. @tCub was the one who mentioned a 33x12 and it adding 3 inches of width. I’m just trying to figure out what he’s actually talking about.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Well aware on all accounts. @tCub was the one who mentioned a 33x12 and it adding 3 inches of width. I’m just trying to figure out what he’s actually talking about.
Yea, they're about an inch and a half wider.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
I don't see how it can be that sluggish with 35's. Rubicons already have a higher gear ratio than my Sport S. It should have no problem pushing 35's. I have an automatic but my rig runs great with 35's. I plan to regear when I upgrade to 38's, but have no reason to change the gearing with my 35's.
There must be a more easy solution to your problem than regearing or downsizing. Maybe the throttle accelerator that the one of the other guys recommended or upgrading the air intake or exhaust to get a minor HP boost.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I don't see how it can be that sluggish with 35's. Rubicons already have a higher gear ratio than my Sport S. It should have no problem pushing 35's. I have an automatic but my rig runs great with 35's. I plan to regear when I upgrade to 38's, but have no reason to change the gearing with my 35's.
There must be a more easy solution to your problem than regearing or downsizing. Maybe the throttle accelerator that the one of the other guys recommended or upgrading the air intake or exhaust to get a minor HP boost.
Probably trying to drive in 6th gear on the interstate, 6th on the manual trans has been reported to be pretty unusable.
Sponsored