What would you do?

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I am looking for advice. I have a JLUSport that I've already done a bunch of stuff to and I have wanted to upgrade my axles and move to 37's for awhile.
If you have a budget of about $9000 what would you buy? I have been looking for a set of takeoffs for months and haven't found anything. I have looked at a set of new crate mopar ones. I am just looking to see what someone else would do in this scenario. Also I was thinking of going to the BFG Ko2 C rated 37 and whatever I get for axles re-gear them to 4.88.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW Don't say, trade it in for a Rubicon. That isn't an option. Thanks

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
Get a Currie D60, and regear current rear D44. The new front axle will require a new drive shaft, and youā€™ll have to be sure your outer axle shafts will run your current wheels

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...inion-front-axle-w-4-88-gears-and-arb-lockers

It has been a long time since I priced these things, and the prices are a bit absurd. You could always truss your current front axle, and regear to 4.88. I ran 4.88s on my JK with 35s and a manual transmission. It was a beast even with the D30 up front (sleeved and gusseted, open diff for part of the time, and a lunchbox locker for the rest).

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
It depends entirely on where those 37ā€™s are going to take you. To the mall, the dunes, or rock bouncing?

And how you like to drive it. A careful driver can do wonders with a D30. If you enjoy the loud pedal then nothing is indestructible.

So whatā€™s the application?

Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends entirely on where those 37ā€™s are going to take you. To the mall, the dunes, or rock bouncing?

And how you like to drive it. A careful driver can do wonders with a D30. If you enjoy the loud pedal then nothing is indestructible.

So whatā€™s the application?

Mostly forest service roads and moderate trails. Not really looking for a major rock crawling setup. It is also my daily driver. We have an insane amount of trails around here that me and the wife want to get out and explore and do some camping with the Jeep.

I figured the d30 wheeled carefully would be pretty good for most applications, the only problem is dumping money into it.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get a Currie D60, and regear current rear D44. The new front axle will require a new drive shaft, and youā€™ll have to be sure your outer axle shafts will run your current wheels

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...inion-front-axle-w-4-88-gears-and-arb-lockers

It has been a long time since I priced these things, and the prices are a bit absurd. You could always truss your current front axle, and regear to 4.88. I ran 4.88s on my JK with 35s and a manual transmission. It was a beast even with the D30 up front (sleeved and gusseted, open diff for part of the time, and a lunchbox locker for the rest).

I wish mine had the LSD Rear 44 but it doesn't. My only thoughts were once you price out the parts and labor to beef up the d30/35 you might as well just upgrade fully.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
Sorry about that. Iā€™m so out of touch, I forgot they stopped using the D44 in the rear for all JLs. My bad.

I would think about it this way -4.88 gearing will have to be set up for any take offs you find (unless you win the lottery there), so a regear is almost definitely an expense. And regeared Axles wonā€™t command any more resale value than others - so that is a write off expense. Your current axles are more than capable of handling mild off roading. Marketing and YouTube have made folks think that what they have isnā€™t enough, when it is.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you can buy crate axles with 4.88s, then do that. 4.10s arenā€™t the best gears for 37s.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry about that. Iā€™m so out of touch, I forgot they stopped using the D44 in the rear for all JLs. My bad.

I would think about it this way -4.88 gearing will have to be set up for any take offs you find (unless you win the lottery there), so a regear is almost definitely an expense. And regeared Axles wonā€™t command any more resale value than others - so that is a write off expense. Your current axles are more than capable of handling mild off roading. Marketing and YouTube have made folks think that what they have isnā€™t enough, when it is.
I completely agree with
ā€œ Marketing and YouTube have made folks think that what they have isnā€™t enough, when it is.ā€

But that being said I still plan on upgrading the Axles and regearing mainly because I plan onkeeping my Jeep for a long time and I want to have more confidence to get out further with the family. I go back and forth on 37ā€™s or 35ā€™s 4.88 or 4.56. I currently have a light set of Toyo AT 3 c rated 34ā€™s on it

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I completely agree with
ā€œ Marketing and YouTube have made folks think that what they have isnā€™t enough, when it is.ā€

But that being said I still plan on upgrading the Axles and regearing mainly because I plan onkeeping my Jeep for a long time and I want to have more confidence to get out further with the family. I go back and forth on 37ā€™s or 35ā€™s 4.88 or 4.56. I currently have a light set of Toyo AT 3 c rated 34ā€™s on it
IMO, since KO2s run small (like a full-size 35 for a "37x12.50") and light and since you're not planning on pushing the Jeep hard off road, I'd run the stock D30/35 and just regear those. That's what I would do, were I in your shoes with your stated needs.

Stronger axles are nice, don't get me wrong, but really what you really want to get them for is to be able to withstand harder punishment. Thicker tubes to resist bending under higher impact forces, stronger R&P and axle shafts to withstand the shocks of hard wheeling causing hopping and sudden loss/gain of traction, etc. If you're just going to be toodling down trails and fire roads and enjoying the scenery and exploration aspect of it, best to honestly assess if you need that strength.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I am looking for advice...
If you have a budget of about $9000 what would you buy?
Thanks in advance
I'd get a lightly used Ford Fiesta that gets 35 mpg.

If someone had a gun to my head and said buy axles, I'd buy Mopar axles already geared with 4.88. I'd regret it though because I think buying new axles, based on what you described as your idea of off road, is money wasted, but if I had no other choice, that's the route I'd go.

It sounds like the kind of off road you will see could be handled with 31" - 33" tires, which would mean you might not have to re-gear and your axles would last forever, and you'd be $9,000 richer, which wisely invested would be worth about $35,000 over the course of 20 years. Do that a few more times and retire five or ten years earlier. Or, buy axles that allow you to run a taller tire that "looks" cool, but provides no practical advantage, again, based on how you described your use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd get a lightly used Ford Fiesta that gets 35 mpg.

If someone had a gun to my head and said buy axles, I'd buy Mopar axles already geared with 4.88. I'd regret it though because I think buying new axles, based on what you described as your idea of off road, is money wasted, but if I had no other choice, that's the route I'd go.

It sounds like the kind of off road you will see could be handled with 31" - 33" tires, which would mean you might not have to re-gear and your axles would like forever, and you'd be $9,000 richer, which wisely invested would be worth about $35,000 over the course of 20 years. Do that a few more times and retire five or ten years earlier. Or, buy axles that allow you to run a taller tire that "looks" cool, but provides no practical advantage, again, based on how you described your use.
I get what your saying. I would rather be over prepared. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m going to want to run the Rubicon or head up to Moab yet but if I do I donā€™t want to have to do this all over again. Buy once cry once. Iā€™ve already wasted money on upgrades and things I wished I hadnā€™t and I would like to avoid that mistake, if I can.

Btw at least itā€™s not a mall crawler, even if I not running the craziest out gnarliest trails.

Either way I appreciate your input šŸ‘šŸ¼

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Iā€™ve already wasted money on upgrades and things I wished I hadnā€™t and I would like to avoid that mistake, if I can.
That can lead you to a situation where you're throwing good money after bad. To keep dumping more money in can actually cost you more than starting over.

It would be worth running the numbers at least to see if a reset would be beneficial in the long run.