Speaker issue?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The following fixed my speaker rattle (alternative option, but similar to other fix listed in the post above).

Original source of info, thanks DaveK: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/charlie-brown-audio-sound.17229/#post-426005

1. To replicate the problem visit this youtube video, plug your phone into the aux in audio port. It will play a 145 hz tone for about 1 minute. You have keep hitting replay because it is only 1 minute long.

2. In the uConnect audio setting change it to back right, back left, right front to hear how it should sound. Change it to the left front and BINGO! super rattle kicks in.

3. Next to the ODBII port, you will find a few connectors (see picture below). Tap on the cable harness coming from each one until you hear the rattle sound go in/out. Then isolate to which set of wires. Push that set of wires up slightly, hold it, rattle goes away. Get a cable tie to hold it in that position. Done!

Picture below is from DaveK.

Speaker connector rattle.jpeg
Sponsored

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Jeremy,
Great Post. My question is this the fix for the intermittent sound that seems to be coming from the front left speaker under the steering wheel? If so, I fixed that by jamming a business card by the secure gateway module and it seemed to work

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
There is also a white/gray wiring connector on the top back of that speaker box - above this black box in the photo (where most are finding the rattles). That was really loose on mine and causing the rattling noise for me. I just tensioned a couple strips of electrical tape over it and around the box to secure it better. Seems to have fixed for now.
Thanks for all the info on isolating the issue and ways to fix it!

The following fixed my speaker rattle (alternative option, but similar to other fix listed in the post above).

Original source of info, thanks DaveK: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/charlie-brown-audio-sound.17229/#post-426005

1. To replicate the problem visit this youtube video, plug your phone into the aux in audio port. It will play a 145 hz tone for about 1 minute. You have keep hitting replay because it is only 1 minute long.

2. In the uConnect audio setting change it to back right, back left, right front to hear how it should sound. Change it to the left front and BINGO! super rattle kicks in.

3. Next to the ODBII port, you will find a few connectors (see picture below). Tap on the cable harness coming from each one until you hear the rattle sound go in/out. Then isolate to which set of wires. Push that set of wires up slightly, hold it, rattle goes away. Get a cable tie to hold it in that position. Done!

Picture below is from DaveK.

Speaker connector rattle.jpeg

kplong02

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-door Sport S
I've been having this problem from day one. It's awful. Can't wait to try shoving a business card in there

Last edited:

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I've been having this problem from day one. It's awful. Can't wait to try shoving a business car in there
It was the happiest day with my new Jeep when I doubled the business card and like a pretzel I was able to wedge the card . Bingo! no more annoying sound

Sponsored

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine in at the dealer for this. I printed this forum to show them it's a known issue as well as the fixes and other dealer fixes found here. It's unfortunate that my dealer decided not to use any of this information and instead wasted 3 days of my time. They eventually fixed it but after I was there twice to duplicate the buzzing. They then decided to search for and STAR Bulletins and low and behold they found it. 3 days of me pleading with them to do this instead of just searching for it on day 1 - efficiency is not job 1 at this dealer. The good news is that there is no more buzzing when I'm rockin'...or listening to NPR :rock:

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Had mine in at the dealer for this. I printed this forum to show them it's a known issue as well as the fixes and other dealer fixes found here. It's unfortunate that my dealer decided not to use any of this information and instead wasted 3 days of my time. They eventually fixed it but after I was there twice to duplicate the buzzing. They then decided to search for and STAR Bulletins and low and behold they found it. 3 days of me pleading with them to do this instead of just searching for it on day 1 - efficiency is not job 1 at this dealer. The good news is that there is no more buzzing when I'm rockin'...or listening to NPR :rock:
Which solution did they use?

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I got around to fixing this today, thanks to everyone for posting their solutions!

As soon as I touched the wires the vibration stopped, and I was able to seat one of the connectors more firmly (just like every single fuse in the engine!). I ended up wedging a piece of cardboard in the gap of the secure gateway module and taped it in place with electrical tape. I also used a zip tie to keep the wires secure.

Hopefully Charlie Brown's teacher doesn't ever come back!

Cheers!
solution.jpg

Last edited:

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This thread and information is awesome. I have a slight buzzing noise from my front left speaker as well during certain frequencies and was thinking I had blown the speaker. After reading this thread and solutions I feel a little better about taking care of the issue myself.

Reactions: TMP

Sponsored

MDH4PennState

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sr. Project Planning Engineer
The Charlie Brown sound has been addressed via Star Case S1808000278. They basically surround the security gateway module with foam to prevent vibrations. I had this performed on my 2018 JL Rubicon with Alpine system and it does solve the problem. Save yourself the aggravation and have this issue addressed via your dealership!

StarCase_S1808000278.jpg

Last edited:

nel1551

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2017 Subaru Forester
Took my jeep in last week and they replaced the tweeters. Still have the issue obviously. I called today and gave them the star case number S180800278 and they said they couldn't find it. Either way, gonna take it back in for a fix. Thank you everyone for this forum. The vibration is definitely annoying.

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Took my jeep in last week and they replaced the tweeters. Still have the issue obviously. I called today and gave them the star case number S180800278 and they said they couldn't find it. Either way, gonna take it back in for a fix. Thank you everyone for this forum. The vibration is definitely annoying.
the fix for the intermittent sound that seems to be coming from the front left speaker under the steering wheel? If so, I fixed that by jamming a business card by the secure gateway module and it seemed to work

MDH4PennState

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sr. Project Planning Engineer
Check my re-post/update as the Technician obviously fat-fingered the Star Case Number as he missed an extra zero and s/b S1808000278.