Sponsored

Charlie Brown Audio Sound

Deleted member

Has anyone definitively fixed the charlie brown sound coming from the alpine audio especially during talk radio?
Sponsored

DaveK

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella 2-door Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Has anyone definitively fixed the charlie brown sound coming from the alpine audio especially during talk radio?
I don’t know for sure if the problem I had is the same as you are having, but I definitely noticed a speaker rattle at certain frequencies. I couldn’t tell for sure where it was coming from.

My first step was to download a free frequency generator app on my iphone. There are several, but I used one called Sonic. This allowed me to plug my phone into the radio and then vary the tone until I found the frequency that caused the rattle. A lot of volume was not necessary.

With the rattle now constant, I was able to determine that it was the lower front driver side speaker causing the noise. Looking under the dash there and poking around a bit I found that an electrical connector near the speaker was the culprit. I was able to eliminate the rattle by gently tugging on the wires going to that connector, so I used a small zip tie to pull that wire bundle to a nearby bracket and the speaker rattle has been gone ever since.

I noticed a very slight rattle near the driver side speaker up on the roll bar too at similar frequencies, but only at louder volumes using that sonic app. I don’t notice it while listening to the radio. I could make it stop temporarily by pushing or pulling on the plastic around the speaker, but I haven’t taken the time to take things apart to achieve a permanent fix, since as I mentioned I don’t notice it under normal use.

Hope this helps!

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don’t know for sure if the problem I had is the same as you are having, but I definitely noticed a speaker rattle at certain frequencies. I couldn’t tell for sure where it was coming from.

My first step was to download a free frequency generator app on my iphone. There are several, but I used one called Sonic. This allowed me to plug my phone into the radio and then vary the tone until I found the frequency that caused the rattle. A lot of volume was not necessary.

With the rattle now constant, I was able to determine that it was the lower front driver side speaker causing the noise. Looking under the dash there and poking around a bit I found that an electrical connector near the speaker was the culprit. I was able to eliminate the rattle by gently tugging on the wires going to that connector, so I used a small zip tie to pull that wire bundle to a nearby bracket and the speaker rattle has been gone ever since.

I noticed a very slight rattle near the driver side speaker up on the roll bar too at similar frequencies, but only at louder volumes using that sonic app. I don’t notice it while listening to the radio. I could make it stop temporarily by pushing or pulling on the plastic around the speaker, but I haven’t taken the time to take things apart to achieve a permanent fix, since as I mentioned I don’t notice it under normal use.

Hope this helps!
That is some serious Macgyvering. I have the same sound coming from that speaker at certain frequencies. I isolated it by changing the speakers to each one at a time with the uConnect audio settings until I figured out it was the front left. I lucked out and heard the sound over and over listening to a comedian on SirusXM / Kevin Hart (funny stuff) His voice happened to be at the right frequency. So I pulled over fast so I could isolate which speaker. Were you able to get to the speaker wires without taking any part of the dash off? If yes, did you go up through the left or right side of the steering column? Or where exactly?

I've also noticed a different rattle at loud volumes with songs with a lot of double kick-bass (Avenged Sevenfold, etc.) coming through the brake pedal and I can feel it in my foot. It is the same feeling when you press the brake pedal on a vehicle that needs new brake pads. Any thoughts besides turn the volume down?

OP
OP

Deleted member

Hope this helps!
Thank you!!

DaveK

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella 2-door Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Were you able to get to the speaker wires without taking any part of the dash off? If yes, did you go up through the left or right side of the steering column? Or where exactly?
I didn’t have to take anything off. The offending connector and wires to it are just under that lower speaker, behind the trim panel/speaker grill and above the OBD II port. If you’re young (or an old contortionist) you could probably get your head on the floor under there and see it, but I used a mirror. I've included a picture. There are two connectors right next to each other. But in the picture you can also see the zip tie I added to pull the wire to one of the connectors snug (not too tight - just enough to make it quit making noise.) For me the noise was the worst at a frequency of around 145 Hz.

Incidentally, at the time I fixed it I considered that zip-tie a temporary fix. I was thinking at some point I should pull the connector out and see if there is some way to make it fit a bit tighter in its socket (Putty on the side of it maybe?). But then again sometimes my "temporary" fixes end up being in place for a long time unless they quit working...

I've also noticed a different rattle at loud volumes with songs with a lot of double kick-bass (Avenged Sevenfold, etc.) coming through the brake pedal and I can feel it in my foot. It is the same feeling when you press the brake pedal on a vehicle that needs new brake pads. Any thoughts besides turn the volume down?
I don't have any idea what could be causing the bass to be felt through the brake pedal, but at very loud volumes I would imagine it feels like it's coming from everywhere! I used to listen to loud music. Now I try to preserve what little hearing I have left, so if that happens on my Jeep I probably will never find out! ;)

Speaker connector rattle.jpeg

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I just got mine back from the dealer and they replaced the front lower left speaker.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I didn’t have to take anything off. The offending connector and wires to it are just under that lower speaker, behind the trim panel/speaker grill and above the OBD II port. If you’re young (or an old contortionist) you could probably get your head on the floor under there and see it, but I used a mirror. I've included a picture. There are two connectors right next to each other. But in the picture you can also see the zip tie I added to pull the wire to one of the connectors snug (not too tight - just enough to make it quit making noise.) For me the noise was the worst at a frequency of around 145 Hz.

Incidentally, at the time I fixed it I considered that zip-tie a temporary fix. I was thinking at some point I should pull the connector out and see if there is some way to make it fit a bit tighter in its socket (Putty on the side of it maybe?). But then again sometimes my "temporary" fixes end up being in place for a long time unless they quit working...

I don't have any idea what could be causing the bass to be felt through the brake pedal, but at very loud volumes I would imagine it feels like it's coming from everywhere! I used to listen to loud music. Now I try to preserve what little hearing I have left, so if that happens on my Jeep I probably will never find out! ;)

Speaker connector rattle.jpeg
The above information fixed my "speaker rattle". Here is some more info:

1. To replicate the problem visit this youtube video, plug your phone into the aux in audio port. It will play a 145 hz tone for about 1 minute. You have keep hitting replay because it is only 1 minute long.

2. In the uConnect audio setting change it to back right, back left, right front to hear how it should sound. Change it to the left front and BINGO! super rattle kicks in.

3. Next to the ODBII port, you will find a few connectors (see picture above). Tap on the cable harness coming from each one until you hear the rattle sound go in/out. Then isolate to which set of wires. Push that set of wires up slightly, hold it, rattle goes away. Get a cable tie to hold it in that position. Done!

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
I put a dollop of plumbers putty on mine, it was easier to manipulate into position.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
After trying everything that's been posted. The problem was about 50-60 % better.
So just by luck not thinking that adding the Smart/Stop/Start .
So for after the installation of the Smart/Stop/Start Module that plugs in to the box that makes the Charlie Brown Noise. The vibration noise is 100 % gone. I don't know the connector is bigger or just fits tighter.
I hope this post helps out?

Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I know it’s crazy, must be something to do with that connector. Mines completely gone

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Maybe Jeep cares should follow this post. I’m sure we found the issue

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I added a tazer and it got rid of the charlie brown voice - I just removed it (longer story) and charlie brown came back.
Hey maybe for finding the cause of the problem, Jeep will give and at a boy, or something free?...

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
:please: Thanks for the info all. I figured it was blown and unplugged it until I could get to the dealer. I’ll have to try securing the wires as you’ve noted and see if that takes care of the problem

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Sounds like brownouts. They must not have good voltage regulation at whatever is feeding the radio. It's probably drooping too low on a charging cycle for the battery (or when operating high draw accessories like the motorized top). That would explain the cold weather correlation, as well.
Sponsored