Sponsored

Heel/Toe Solutions?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Serious question... But when you start adjusting pedals and height and such are you voiding any warranty? My first thought is it must be some sort of safety measure to keep you from accidentally accelerating versus braking.
No you would not be voiding anything. It is a common adjustment and one not noticeable really by any dealer. It is however very important to do it correctly for obvious reasons..

Good question!
Sponsored

OP
OP
LeoTheDragon

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You right about the control with being in gear there is no denying it. I go into nuetral when braking and sometimes when im coasting into a stop and not looking to accelerate. If something is going to catch me that off guard its likely I never would have seen it coming in the first place. Situational awareness is king most of the time.
I've got several certifications for driving from my previous job and 15 years driving a manual (4 jeeps 1 muscle car). You learn techniques to limit your exposure to certain situations when your driving a large vehicle that can't stop or maneuver out of the way fast enough by just being able to avoid those situations.

I can't believe I've been doing it wrong all these years lmao. Hey its your jeep tho and if your convinced being able to heal toe at all times is saving your life then heal toe away!
Situational awareness means nothing if you're not prepared to respond, and preparation for response means nothing when you don't have situational awareness. I've learned over and over again, respond, don't react.

Yes there are obviously certain limitations to how you can respond to situations depending on the circumstance. But this is a Jeep. It's not a 30 ton semi truck. You're still going to be able to get out of a sticky situation if you're prepared and have the situational awareness. Not as well as a motorcycle or car, but certainly in the realm of possibility.

OP
OP
LeoTheDragon

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Great answer :clap:, feel blessed you have the ability to execute precise heel toe/down shifts!!! I have always lacked the coordination to pull it off correctly. I'm glad you took the time to explain why! Like many others my first thought was WTF:whatsgoingon: In a Jeep:whatsgoingon:
Post of the day :clap: :flag:
PM sent where you should be able to find your pedal. I don't think links to other websites can be post here. Good luck!
Thankkk youuu! I got the PM and will check it out.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Automatic transmissions. Enough said.

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Holy cow, who knew asking for some pedals because I want to heel/toe would fluff up so many damn feathers. :punch::punch::punch::ontheloo:
I don't see anyone with their feathers ruffled but I do see people who don't agree with your view entirely but its their opinion. Most have even mentioned it was your jeep drive it however you see fit. Maybe your the one with the thin skin??:facepalm:

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
You don't need anyone's permission; but you will look sort of silly doing it. And from the sound of it, impressing people with your mad shifting skills is your primary goal so it might not be the best idea for that reason alone.
The average Joe has no clue about heal/toe. Done correctly the RP couldn't look silly because almost no one would notice. Now, should I do it everyone would say look at that asshat because I suck :crying:

Sponsored

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
One benefit of heel toe is a smoother transition from gear to gear. When done correctly there is no lurch as can happen with just using the clutch. This helps control, especially in low grip (snow, ice, wet) conditions.

Pedals aren’t really set up for it though

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
One benefit of heel toe is a smoother transition from gear to gear. When done correctly there is no lurch as can happen with just using the clutch. This helps control, especially in low grip (snow, ice, wet) conditions.

This isn't a benefit from heel toe as it is a benefit of proper shift and clutch/gas. If your lurching then your letting the clutch out too quick. Pretty basic stuff really for driving a manual.

DanB

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Commodities trading
A point of clarity, it appears "heel and toe" has been misappropriated to mean something other than double clutch downshifting. I assumed that is what the OP meant. If he is talking about anything else, which would imply engine braking, I would argue that actually would have a higher likelihood of causing an accident (loose surface, ice etc) than the probability of being able to accelerate to avoid getting rear ended. Engine braking is less stable than simply using your brakes.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door

Downshifting on snow or ice is a BAD idea heel/toe or not!!! Don't ask me how I know :angry:

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ok, first thing I recommend is working on revising your form. Extended pedals sure can make sloppy heal-toe-shifting easier, but they should come after you can use the technic without them. You'll likely need to get used to twisting your foot a bit more on the regular, like the girl on wiki; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe

Yeah... I don't think anyone is tracking an JL... but the technique has valuable use off-road. (The JL's hill assist is essentially simo-automatic heel-toe.(

Also, "double clutch downshifting?" The Jeep has syncros.... there is absolutely zero reason to double clutch on JL....
Sponsored