Steering wheel wobble?

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Hi. My factory SS was identified as faulty. Had it replaced by dealer this week and am still in the process of testing to ensure the DW is gone. My question to you is - when you installed your SS, aside from eliminating the DW, can you describe what you mean by it rides like new? I'm a first time Jeeper and even with my new SS, I find it very bumpy and jumpy when hitting bumps. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if a FAlcon SS would make it ride much smoother. Thanks!
originally my car drove more like an cuv meaning not a boxy type ride and road input to steering wheel input was minimal. no shakes or wobbles in the steering. After having my wheels balanced and installing the Falcon steering stabilizer, the wobbles are gone and it tracks much better. according to the mechanic he thinks the wheels out of balance had more to do with the wobble then the ss. Reason being is that my wobble started slowly and progressively got worse. Getting the track bar brace put on along with an alignment next week.
Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
X-post
My Sahara is in the shop right now. A couple weeks ago I was getting off a highway. It was wet out but I was only traveling about 30mph. The Jeep began a front end driver's side drift sending me towards the guard rail. I stopped the vehicle, turned the wheel, and started driving again and the car continued towards the guard rail. I put the car in park, put it back in drive, and tried again. The car moved in the correct direction but I drove about 10mph the rest of the way home. I figured it was the wet pavement or maybe someone had spilled oil from their car and mine slipped on it. A couple days later I was driving 75mph on a highway and I hit a rough patch. It felt like the car lost it's steering. Luckily I got control of the car, as I was next to a tractor trailer. I finally called service.

This happened to me also!! I was traveling about 15 mph around a bend getting ready to enter the highway and twice the front end decided to wash out and travel towards the wall. I'm having my alignment checked next week

Grayce's mom

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2018
Yes, take it in and show them the article in the link. If that doesn't work, have them call Beyer Jeep 9735322761 in Morristown, NJ. That's where my Jeep sits right now, and maybe the service people.there can talk the service people near you through a diagnosis. Good luck.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
My damper is date coded 208 (less than 257) and the whole jeep was built in Sep 2018. I have no issue so far for 400 miles, do you guys think I should order a fox SS just in case?

20181125_071450.jpg

ckor

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Jest installed Teraflex EF 2.2 steering stabilizer. Wobble gone. Still need to install drop brackets and yeti track bar.
Not sure if I mentioned...my stabilizer # was above what was recalled. I do believe it is a castor and track bar issue if not something additional.

Sponsored

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
New Stabilizer shock took away my DW people I want to help others out itā€™s a scary issue. The Falcon Nexxus 2.2 is a wonderful piece of work let me tell you.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
New Stabilizer shock took away my DW people I want to help others out itā€™s a scary issue. The Falcon Nexxus 2.2 is a wonderful piece of work let me tell you.
That is great to hear! I have ordered the Fox 2.0 stabilizer and I am cautiously optimistic. My dealer says it is fine and there are no service bulletins. My ā€œdate codeā€ for my stabilizer is ā€œnot old enoughā€ even though it was built in February.

I am in Europe this week and told my daughter and wife to not drive it as I donā€™t want them getting the DW I have been getting.

Love the Jeep - just not this one ā€œlittle problemā€

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
The steering stabilizer is just a band aid to the real problem. Could be multiple other things.

ckor

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
The steering stabilizer is just a band aid to the real problem. Could be multiple other things.
I do believe they may have a serious issue here. Stabilizer will only mask what is happening. Hopefully track bar and drop brackets truly resolve the issue.

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
With mine the stabilizer fixed everything..may be something different with others.

Sponsored

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
I do believe they may have a serious issue here. Stabilizer will only mask what is happening. Hopefully track bar and drop brackets truly resolve the issue.
I had my stabilizer replaced by the dealer with the FCA part, and it did not fix it. Made it much better. Took it back in and it sat for 2 weeks. No work done and chrysler's engineering said "released and unresolved". Going to pick it up today :/

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey plex....My damper is too date coded X208 and Jeep was built on Sept 1st with 3300 highway miles on it currently. I get steering wobble after hitting bridge expansion joints at 55mph+. Especially after 1 wheel hits it, like on a curve. Dampens out after a few seconds. I am going to continue to monitor and see if it gets worse. If so, I am taking to dealer with STAR case to have replaced. I may remove it myself and check proper function too.

IMG_4893.JPG

randyone

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Saharah
I'll have to check the date when I get home...I'll let you all know.
I just got back from my dealer for the weld recall and for the death wobble issue. I didnā€™t tell them what I found out on this forum regarding the death wobble because I wanted to see what they would say. They fixed the weld issue and test drove my Jeep. They came back to me and said that they need to replace the steering damper. They had to order the part and that is should be sent to them in a couple of days.

bmrrwolfe

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2005 Grand Cherokee
Hey plex....My damper is too date coded X208 and Jeep was built on Sept 1st with 3300 highway miles on it currently. I get steering wobble after hitting bridge expansion joints at 55mph+. Especially after 1 wheel hits it, like on a curve. Dampens out after a few seconds. I am going to continue to monitor and see if it gets worse. If so, I am taking to dealer with STAR case to have replaced. I may remove it myself and check proper function too.

IMG_4893.JPG
Maybe its just the picture, but is that a crack in the weld? (middle top of pic)

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! Great catch. I was so focused on steering damper when I snapped the shot I missed that. Guess I am crawlin' back under it tonight to check it out. UUGGH!
Sponsored