David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My shift from 4H to 4L never worked no matter what I did, most of the time.

Now, this isn't my first jeep and it was way to hard to get it into 4L. It never seemed to fully engage all the way back.

Took it to the dealer, left it.

Called me as fixed......... They adjusted the linkage or something not sure what the tech said.

Anyway, it shift smooth as silk and no problem getting into 4L or any position using the manual technique that I have been doing for 40 years.
Sponsored

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
The light lift is the key for smooth shift
You're absolutely right. Did it today and it was super smooth and it was my first time shifting it 4H.

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
Are you referring to lightly lifting off the gas when you shift or lightly lifting up on the shift lever?
I lightly lifted off the gas and constant pressure when moving the shifter from 2H to 4H. You feel it engage in your palm and the same when shifting back to 2H.

clago

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Just experienced my JL in the snow... it requires Herculean strength to get it out of 4L. Not impressed with the 4wd... My JK is much better and easier to get in and out of 4wd.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Just experienced my JL in the snow... it requires Herculean strength to get it out of 4L. Not impressed with the 4wd... My JK is much better and easier to get in and out of 4wd.
You need the light "palm" touch , like to poster just above you , in post #79 . Not the Herculean "fist" death grip .

( I've only tried the JK easier method .)

TJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I am in the same boat... cannot shift into 4WD. Bringing it into the dealer.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Reading the manual on how to shift the transfer case would drive Gandhi to cuss like a sailor! This is how I finally thought through the shifting.

1) Basic rule ... don't do any shifting if your wheels are spinning or you're turning more than a wee bit.

2) Shifting between 2 and 4 wheel engagement --- You are not changing speed ratios with the gears! While stopped or when moving, the front and rear inputs to the transfer case are both spinning at the same RPM ... so, simply engage or disengage the transfer case gearing with no need to shift into neutral. It helps if you remove any torque on the gears ... let up on the gas just a little as you are shifting.

3) Shifting between high and low range --- Now you are changing speed ratios with the gears! You have to engage neutral, so that the gears can reach the same speed, to mesh with no grinding. For me, rolling just a little (creeping) is the best speed ... stop on a slope, let up on the brakes, and as the Jeep starts to move then shift between high and low range. Cutting butter with a hot knife will come to mind as the shift is completed. Don't take the manual's 2 to 3 mph as gospel with this shift, play around with a lower than walking speed to see if it doesn't work better for you.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Like everyone has said it is a bear... I have had 3 other Jeeps and they all act differently. So have a new JL Rubicon and it was hard to go from 2H to 4H so the trick was on my dirt/gravel driveway, I was in reverse and rolled back a foot or two and shifted into 4H... First time hard and the 3-4-5 etc try was like butter. 4H light lite and all was good. So first try is the hardest, let it roll in gear and just do it several times. I now go about 5 mph and shift on the fly.....

Enjoy your Jeep, snows a coming.

JEEPLIFEFAM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Anyone know how to shift into 2 high? Im pretty sure im stuck in 4 high and the shifter wont go up any further. i'm getting worse gas milage now and its driving like its in 4h. I tried rolling at 10mph, in park, everything. the thing just wont go up into 2h

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Can't help but wonder if this was addressed in MY19. I found shifting to 4H to be easy as any other 4WD vehicle I've owned -- including an F150 which shifted electronically via a little dial.

That said, I haven't had time to mess with 4L yet...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The more you use it the easier it becomes. I'll throw it in 4H at 30mph no problem now with ease. You can do it up to 45mph. I have come out of 4H at 43mph already and it was seamless.
4L, neutral, slight roll and a steady pull. I have had it pop on me after it appeared engaged. Actually drove it on the trail for about a football filed and it popped out.
Sponsored