Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
Have you seen all those news reports lately about 'Death Wobble' problems in the 2018 JL Wrangler? Not sure what it is, or how to deal with the problem?

HERE is what you should know.
-Alex

46525741_2476581785690646_4882821428308606976_n.jpg
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Have you seen all those news reports lately about 'Death Wobble' problems in the 2018 JL Wrangler? Not sure what it is, or how to deal with the problem?

HERE is what you should know.
-Alex
I guess the confusing part right now is right now the "worn out or defective part" has been identified by FCA to be a certain range of steering stabilizer, in this case replacing the sabilizer if you have a known bad one is the fix, its not hiding anything.

In my case I have 1500 miles, no lift, steering has no slop and handles great until I hit a bump going around 70, then I get the wobble.

Dealer checked from end and tires and said nothing out of sorts, but then I found the star case and mine is in defective range. I am thinking putting a new equal force stabilizer from fox or terraflex is a reasonable action.

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Thanks Alex for nothing. The issues that we're facing are not classic DW. Normal DW fixes don't apply.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Alex for nothing. The issues that we're facing are not classic DW. Normal DW fixes don't apply.
Be nice. They are just trying to help, and Quadratec is a great company.

The OEM steering stabilizers are backorderd until April. Quadratec has the best price on the Fox stabilizer. I just ordered from them today. They ship in December. Get ready, because all of these things are going to be backordered soon. Bank on it. Mine was perfect until 13,500 miles and then the wobble showed up. My dealer ordered the new stabilizer this morning, but said April at best. I'm still going to get it in April, then either keep it as a spare.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Anybody who has fought death wobble on prior Jeeps knows that the steering stabilizer is not the problem. If, and that's a big if, you get a reduction in the issue after installing a new stabilizer, it's because the stabilizer was a band-aid masking the true problem.

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out, because I'm guessing it is going to go deeper.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody who has fought death wobble on prior Jeeps knows that the steering stabilizer is not the problem. If, and that's a big if, you get a reduction in the issue after installing a new stabilizer, it's because the stabilizer was a band-aid masking the true problem.

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out, because I'm guessing it is going to go deeper.
In my case, and many, the steering stabilizer is the problem. I wouldn't call it "death wobble" though. It is a slight shimmy or wobble that doesn't threaten control of the vehicle. Thus the Star case advisory, and not a recall. Not really the same thing as classic death wobble.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this issue only on lifted JL's or stock ones too ?
Both, from what IveI seen. Mine shakes the wheel on light impacts between 55 and 60 mph. It isn't violent and it doesn't wrestle control from the driver.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

Its certainly possible. Also as we know there is not gonna be just one issue, all of the topics in the "lose or wandering steering tsbs" apply or can interact with this different symptom. Some guys will have a bad tire and a bad stabilizer, and need pcm reprogram (and then run around saying each was not the fix until they hit all 3, then think the last was the only fix)

If your problem is a broken steering stablizer new or old replacing it is the answer, esp on new ones where its looking like the part was changed to fix a design problem. All of the active steering components need to be correct, and I totally agree that changing a working steering stabilizer for a some monster version is bad.

To agree with your point, it will be interesting to see if the stock stabilizer replacements keep "failing", however it seems reasonable to replace the unit if FCA is saying its broken, esp on a new design

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
In my case, and many, the steering stabilizer is the problem. I wouldn't call it "death wobble" though. It is a slight shimmy or wobble that doesn't threaten control of the vehicle. Thus the Star case advisory, and not a recall. Not really the same thing as classic death wobble.
Ya, I have been in the "classic death wobble" which was wwaaay scarier, this was scary but several dB down in power. My steering is tight normally, there is no funny slop or lose feeling in the slightest (and only 1500 miles front end and tires inspected by dealer)

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Can someone with confirmed vibration take off their stabilizer and drive over the same place that usually causes the vibration? Would be a great way to confirm it's the stabilizer. You can drive without the stabilizer just fine.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Can someone with confirmed vibration take off their stabilizer and drive over the same place that usually causes the vibration? Would be a great way to confirm it's the stabilizer. You can drive without the stabilizer just fine.
I would not recommend doing that, you can drive without it but not "fine" its there specifically to help deal with bumps going 70 and hitting a bump on purpose without it not a good idea. It plays an active role in your steering in the JL its not an optional addin.

IF your part number is confirmed defective, and you replace with with a mopar shock and it works I think thats all I need for now. Esp after going through rest of suspension (not a blind replacement)

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
I have always been under the impression that lifting a jeep without extending the lower control arms reduces rake/caster angle. Reduced caster angle makes a rolling wheel less stable. Less stable wheels resonate and wear out steering components, ball joints, etc.. It doesn’t take much reduced caster to make the wheels wander and fight each other.

Imagine riding a motorcycle with zero rake, the forward force would make the wheel turn left/right rather than roll forward. Check out the front wheels of your grocery cart following the mounting bolt... they call those wheels casters.

Just my opinion and some physics.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have always under the impression that lifting a jeep without extending the lower control arms reduces rake/caster angle. Reduced caster angle makes a rolling wheel less stable. Less stable wheels resonate and wear out steering components, ball joints, etc.. It doesn’t take much reduced caster to make the wheels wonder and fight each other.

Imagine riding a motorcycle with zero rake, the forward force would make the wheel turn left/right rather than roll forward. Check out the front wheels of your grocery cart following the mounting bolt... they call those wheels casters.

Just my opinion and some physics.
I agree, except that with mine, it drove and steered perfectly until just two days ago when this showed up. It has gotten more consistent, as I can now duplicate it any time. I'd be very surprised if the revised stabilizer or the Fox stabilizer I ordered doesn't fix this. Jeep appears to have been pretty quick to isolate the offending stabilizers by date of manufacture, too. It also accounts for the stock JL's that are seeing the same issue.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Mine is stock, 1500 miles, steering is perfectly tight not a hint of looseness, only been on light offroad trails (zero rock crawling, or hard use hard grade stuff)

It jsut started doing it last week. my steering stablizer is in the replace range for FCA star case
Sponsored