Sponsored

CarPlay problems

dragonheartt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Add another one. Picked up our 2018 Rubicon 2 weeks ago. Started having problems with Carplay a couple of days after we got it. Tried 4 different cords, 3 Apple and 1 aftermarket; all the same result. My wife has a iPhone 7 and mine is an 8, same result. It will connect most of the time, but then it will disconnect at random and will only reconnect if you cut the jeep off and wait about an hour, then it starts all over again. When disconnected, the USBs continue to charge the phone. We bought a new Mustang last year with the Sync system in it, the carplay works flawless.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I had no issues with CarPlay and the 8.4 Uconnect or Ford Sync but have issues with the 7, more annoyances than anything like when I plug it in CarPlay connects fine and all works but when I unplug it the Bluetooth never reconnects I have to do it manually and only for the phone

mbrindley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Add another one. Picked up our 2018 Rubicon 2 weeks ago. Started having problems with Carplay a couple of days after we got it. Tried 4 different cords, 3 Apple and 1 aftermarket; all the same result. My wife has a iPhone 7 and mine is an 8, same result. It will connect most of the time, but then it will disconnect at random and will only reconnect if you cut the jeep off and wait about an hour, then it starts all over again. When disconnected, the USBs continue to charge the phone. We bought a new Mustang last year with the Sync system in it, the carplay works flawless.
I've had my JLUR for about 3 weeks now. Same problem, but only the center console USB is an issue for me. The dash USB (#1) works without issue. Center console USB (#2) works intermittently. Just checked the software and it's up to date.

spblat

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
irace.net
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
My wife's JL failed exactly as @dragonheartt describes above, the day after we took delivery. I had it in the shop for three days. We got it back yesterday, apparently working. The document we got back said that none of the symptoms we reported could be reproduced. CarPlay seems to work now. Either they applied an update and didn't make a record of it, or the radio got an -over-the-air firmware update. I believe I have read that uconnect systems can do this.

I'm not confident the "fix" will hold because I'm not sure anything was actually done. :-(

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I upgraded to iOS12 yesterday and gave it a roll. The nice thing about iOS12 is that the icons are much larger on the uConnect screen but the DAMN NAVIGATION IS STILL SCREWED UP! I removed uConnect from Carplay on my phone and readded it.. Same problem. I took my Jeep to the local Jeep dealer last week for the cruise control recall and asked about uConnect. They shrugged and had no idea. @JeepCares are you guys ever going to address this?

Sponsored

ZombieNipples

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
I upgraded to iOS12 yesterday and gave it a roll. The nice thing about iOS12 is that the icons are much larger on the uConnect screen but the DAMN NAVIGATION IS STILL SCREWED UP! I removed uConnect from Carplay on my phone and readded it.. Same problem. I took my Jeep to the local Jeep dealer last week for the cruise control recall and asked about uConnect. They shrugged and had no idea. @JeepCares are you guys ever going to address this?
What’s wrong with the navigation? I haven’t updated to iOS 12 yet but someone on Reddit posted about having a problem after the update.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Navigation as in Apple Maps? Or built in NAV?

Both Apple Maps and Waze beta work beautifully for me in iOS 12. My UConnect also received an OTA update on Sunday, FWIW.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have been reluctant to update to iOS 12 for just those reasons

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been reluctant to update to iOS 12 for just those reasons
I ran all the betas, and now on the GA version. It’s a big improvement, especially for older devices. Much faster. CarPlay is flawless in the Jeep and also my Yukon. YMMV, of course. (Wife’s phone upgraded, yesterday, and her CarPlay is working fine, too.)

Side note: Waze on CarPlay! W00t! I’m a lucky beta tester for Waze on CarPlay, and it already works wonderfully for me. I’m guessing they’re going to GA it in a few weeks.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I signed up for beta testing today. I suspect, however that it won't fix the nav issues I've been having. When connected to the uConnect, I can open Waze on the phone itself and the navigation will be screwed up. What I need to do is hook my iPhone up to another CarPlay compatible vehicle and see if the issue is replicated.

Other than the issues with Navigation, I really do like CarPlay on iOS 12. I like that all of the buttons on the uConnect display are much larger. That was another complaint for me.

Sponsored

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Running iOS and 7” uconnect. When I am using CarPlay, it mutes the sound on radio when needed for directions, Siri, etc... That is great, but what is wrong is that the radio sound doesn’t come back on when CarPlay is finished giving directions from maps, answering question from Siri, etc... In order to get radio sound back on, I need to change volume, change channel or turn off and back on.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Running iOS and 7” uconnect. When I am using CarPlay, it mutes the sound on radio when needed for directions, Siri, etc... That is great, but what is wrong is that the radio sound doesn’t come back on when CarPlay is finished giving directions from maps, answering question from Siri, etc... In order to get radio sound back on, I need to change volume, change channel or turn off and back on.
I absolutely hate they didn't figure out how to return to the previous state. One bit of voice direction or any other blue tooth interruption and it wont go back to what was previously playing. Odd since this doesn't happen on iOS when other apps interrupt...music etc, just resumes.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I signed up for beta testing today. I suspect, however that it won't fix the nav issues I've been having. When connected to the uConnect, I can open Waze on the phone itself and the navigation will be screwed up. What I need to do is hook my iPhone up to another CarPlay compatible vehicle and see if the issue is replicated.

Other than the issues with Navigation, I really do like CarPlay on iOS 12. I like that all of the buttons on the uConnect display are much larger. That was another complaint for me.
This is very, very strange.

I would backup your phone to iCloud, do a full reset, then restore. This has fixed strange iOS issues for me several times. (If you have time, you might even skip setup steps after resetting and try CarPlay to rule out that any of your apps or phone settings are messing things up.)

Any friend family member have an iPhone that they can plug in to your Jeep? That would narrow the issue down to either your phone or uConnect.

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
I had big problems with Uconnect and CarPlay on my recent long roadtrip.

I was running an iPhone and iPad (Gaia rocks!). About 25% of the time, CarPlay wouldn't recognize my phone at all. I had the iPad connected to bluetooth for these situations. But a few times, this wouldn't even work. So had to try and delete phone/ipad and start over. Sometimes that would work, if not, I'd have to reset the whole radio.

Another problem I ran into was that all the usb outlets would stop working. this made me super nervous, as I was really out in the middle of nowhere. I figured out the problem after a few times of this happening. Whenever I would plug my Garmin Inreach or Fenix into the usb to charge, it would stop all the usb from working. Luckily I had a wall plug in for three usbs on it, so I was able to keep those charged.

I've been so happy with the rest of the Jeep, but these issues lead to some massive frustration on the trip. When you're driving through the middle of the Canada and Alaska, you need some tunes! I decided to wait on taking the Jeep into the dealer until I get the new Uconnect software update. Want to see if this fixes the problems.

Oh, Waze and Google Maps are so awesome CarPlay.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, seems like I'm the only Android auto user. I'm having hell myself. Ever since the update this weekend my phones connecting and disconnecting every 10-15 minutes for 10-15 minutes.

Ever since this update I've got a 10-15% change of it recognizing my phone. It'll show up 15 minutes later, though.

Wonder if they screwed with the USB system. I'm randomly switching to my phones USB at some points too.

Had a 7 hour drive today and used android auto for probably 2 hours max of it.
Sponsored