Sponsored

What options are worth it?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hard top is noisier then soft top but has other features that might be worth it. Easier to have a hard top first then trying to get on later vs a soft top. Then again if you live in an area like I do and want the top off a lot a hard top is a PITA

The other stuff ....dunno
I tried a base Sport 2-door with soft top recently. It did seem quieter then the JLUR I drove before. I thought it was my imagination? Unfortunately I need to have the hard top for the added security. The hard top and 8-speed are two options I need no matter which model I order.
Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I tried a base Sport 2-door with soft top recently. It did seem quieter then the JLUR I drove before. I thought it was my imagination? Unfortunately I need to have the hard top for the added security. The hard top and 8-speed are two options I need no matter which model I order.
I totally understand the security advantages of the hard top. The corporate office where I work is in a meth-head neighborhood. My vehicle is parked just outside my office window so the do not break the vehicle glass. I have had two soft tops slashed at work. I never had a problem with my trusty Freedom top.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I totally understand the security advantages of the hard top. The corporate office where I work is in a meth-head neighborhood. My vehicle is parked just outside my office window so the do not break the vehicle glass. I have had two soft tops slashed at work. I never had a problem with my trusty Freedom top.
It sucks we live in a society where people just don't respect other people's property anymore. It's a shame because the soft top is easier to use now then ever.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The Rubicon models are way overpriced as far as I'm concerned. When you start paying that much for a vehicle, are you really going to be taking it hard off-road? If you put every option on a JLUR, you can get to around $60K. For that price, you could get a base level Cayenne that will handle better on-road and do everything that someone who is buying the fully decked out JLUR is actually going to do with their vehicle anyway. And the creature comforts of the Cayenne is definitely better than you will find in any of the options for any of the JLs.

There's a good chance that most of the people buying Rubicons in places like Florida are buying a vehicle with more capability than they need. If you live somewhere that is flat, why do you need rock crawling capability or extremely low gears? The type of off-road vehicle that can go out into the Everglades or along the beaches is different than the type that can go to Moab.

Personally, I don't care about the sound system in the JL that I ordered. Maybe if I was young and still had good hearing, it would be different. Between the damage from when I was in the Navy, to the fact that back in the day, we never wore hearing protection on the gun ranges, to just getting older, my hearing is probably not that great these days. And let's not forget "repetitive noise-induced hearing loss" (i.e. your wife's voice). If I want to hear music, I'll just put a pair of headphones on and that will also help muffle out the other environmental sounds.

Buy what you can afford and not what you can get a loan for...
Yeah it doesnt make much sense for a Ruby in florida, and the reason for the mall crawler comments and justifiably so. BUT people want what they want and there really isnt anything wrong with that. Their money their choice. I look at it selfishly, in a few years I can buy a used one and I get sweet JL mall crawlers to pick from. lol

I have been seriously shopping and have found the deals offered have really been good. I actually use my jeeps as intended and can easy justify the cost of it BUT I just cannot swallow the tax I have to pay. I could change my mind, they are nice!!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it doesnt make much sense for a Ruby in florida, and the reason for the mall crawler comments and justifiably so. BUT people want what they want and there really isnt anything wrong with that. Their money their choice. I look at it selfishly, in a few years I can buy a used one and I get sweet JL mall crawlers to pick from. lol
Plus, a lot of these people who are buying the overpriced JLURs are actually leasing them, so in a few years, there will be good supply of gently used mall crawler lease vehicles on the used market.

Well, my JL "Sport" model should be delivered this evening and be ready for me to pickup tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday). Hopefully it will work as planned. I'm paying cash for the vehicle, so the paperwork should go pretty quickly.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Plus, a lot of these people who are buying the overpriced JLURs are actually leasing them, so in a few years, there will be good supply of gently used mall crawler lease vehicles on the used market.

Well, my JL "Sport" model should be delivered this evening and be ready for me to pickup tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday). Hopefully it will work as planned. I'm paying cash for the vehicle, so the paperwork should go pretty quickly.
I bought my 97 TJ new and paid I THINK almost 20k for it. Like I said I wheel mine and it didnt take me long to start dumping money into it to make it formidable. One normal lift kit, the other was an expensive long arm version, axle beefing including a full float and 5 on 5 1/2 conversion, then there was an atlas II 4.3 to 1 transfer case upgrade, more. Point is I probably pumped another 20k (maybe more) all told into my TJ to make it work.

The ruby at mid 40's OTD has better axles, 4 doors, more room, 100hp more, better AC, better ride, better, better, better. And even better is I can throw 35's on without a lift which cost me many thousands on my TJ. We're all bitchin about the price with me being the loudest, but we are getting something for our money.

Congrats on getting yours today, 280hp in a 2 door just HAS to be fun!! Heck I'm talking myself into getting one again just yappin with you. lol
Sponsored