Backup Lights

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Took the Wrangler back to the dealership because I thought the backup lights weren't working. They showed me that they only turn on when you start moving–not when you put the truck in reverse.

Is that how it's supposed to be? Seems unsafe in a parking lot that you're not able to show intent to reverse.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Took the Wrangler back to the dealership because I thought the backup lights weren't working. They showed me that they only turn on when you start moving–not when you put the truck in reverse.

Is that how it's supposed to be? Seems unsafe in a parking lot that you're not able to show intent to reverse.
Did they show you on your vehicle or another one?

This really makes no sense to me either. Your back up camera won’t work very well without lights at night. Kind of defeats the purpose of the camera. Plus the reason you mention of intention to back up.

SAE J593c states “the backup lamp shall be illuminated when the ignition switch is energized and reverse gear is engaged.” February 1968

Is this still relevant?

https://ia800307.us.archive.org/13/items/gov.law.sae.j593c.1968/sae.j593c.1968.pdf

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
My aftermarket bumper came with LED backup lights. The retailer suggested that I wire them into the OEM backup wiring. But I am going to use one of the auxiliary switches, that way I can have active backup lights even if the OEM lights don't come on until I shift into reverse.

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. So they do work as they should.

Turns out the Jeep only stays in reverse when someone is in the driver's seat. The LED reverse lights are really weak, so I thought I'd check to see if they were working. I put the Jeep in Reverse, engaged the Parking Brake, and got out to see if they were on. As soon as my biscuits left the seat, the car put itself in Auto Park, which disengages Reverse entirely (hence, turning off the reverse lights). I'm still used to my Pathfinder which has super bright reverse lights.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. So they do work as they should.

Turns out the Jeep only stays in reverse when someone is in the driver's seat. The LED reverse lights are really weak, so I thought I'd check to see if they were working. I put the Jeep in Reverse, engaged the Parking Brake, and got out to see if they were on. As soon as my biscuits left the seat, the car put itself in Auto Park, which disengages Reverse entirely (hence, turning off the reverse lights). I'm still used to my Pathfinder which has super bright reverse lights.
Darn Auto Park. That slipped my mind. You could try to keep the seat belt buckled behind you if you want to trick the auto park feature not to activate. Just don’t get ran over by your Jeep!

So the dealer was completely wrong in their explanation!

58B9AD28-138C-49BE-B634-B4AF6C0329B3.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
View attachment 65115 You can grab a backup light hot behind the 7 way trailer plug if you have the tow package. It is a white wire with an orange trace. I installed the Rigid Ignite Surface mount to my stock bumper.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
View attachment 65115 You can grab a backup light hot behind the 7 way trailer plug if you have the tow package. It is a white wire with an orange trace. I installed the Rigid Ignite Surface mount to my stock bumper.
@Luco
Yesterday, you said white with brown trace. Also, did you need to use the RIgid add on harness?

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
@Luco
Yesterday, you said white with brown trace. Also, did you need to use the RIgid add on harness?
I went out in better light, The trace is orange not brown, so I corrected the post. I did not use the harness.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went out in better light, The trace is orange not brown, so I corrected the post. I did not use the harness.
@Luco

Ok, thanks much for the follow-up.

HEY, there are a bunch of guys here that sure would be interested in hearing about your install of these.

Perhaps you can give us a run down. How they mounted (do you have a steel or plastic bumper? Did you run the hot from each light separately to the white wire with orange trace? Hints on the install? What you did.. Did you need additional hardware?

Thanks in advance, Luke for any and all the info you can provide..

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Luco

Ok, thanks much for the follow-up.

HEY, there are a bunch of guys here that sure would be interested in hearing about your install of these.

Perhaps you can give us a run down. How they mounted (do you have a steel or plastic bumper? Did you run the hot from each light separately to the white wire with orange trace? Hints on the install? What you did.. Did you need additional hardware?

Thanks in advance, Luke for any and all the info you can provide..
I have the regular Rubicon Bumper with the plastic cover. There is actually a trim screw where I mounted the lights. I removed the screws and used two longer #8 X 1" pan head screws with a small washer to mount the lights. On the passenger side I fished the wire through the trailer hitch support using oem holes to the drivers side. The drivers side is close to the trailer plug. I pulled a little of the tape back and used a saddle tap to connect to the white/orange wire. I ran a single 16 ga. wire from the tap. I crimped the two red wires from the lights to the single wire and put a little heat shrink over it. I crimped the 2 black wires to a single 16 ga. wire and crimped a #10 ring connector on it. I used a self drilling #8 screw with a flat washer and screwed the ground to the hitch bar out of site. I used a few wire ties to make the installation neat and hide the wires behind the trailer hitch and plug.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Luco

Is there a "trim screw" in the right spot for each/both lights?

Can you give a link to the exact Rigid you used.

Thanks, your info gives some insight on this install.

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Luco

Is there a "trim screw" in the right spot for each/both lights?

Can you give a link to the exact Rigid you used.

Thanks, your info gives some insight on this install.
The screws were in the right place for me and space right. I bought them off of Amazon.
http://a.co/gwUJ6zt

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I originally connected my backup lights to the white wire with an orange trace behind the 7 way plug. I thought it would be nice to use them as auxiliary lights as well. I placed a diode in the circuit from Aux 4 and ran the wire to the back upswing the frame as a conduit. I put a diode in the Supply line from the Oem backup circuit and tied all of them together. By using the diodes I prevent feed back from either circuit. I used 10 amp diodes even though the LED backup lights only pull less than an amp. I have tested in in multiple scenarios and everything seems to work correct.
606270BD-4B0E-424C-ADB5-CD085CAA9501.png

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Luco

Thanks for the follow-up posts. I have the diodes on order and come this Wednesday, my Rigid Industries 20541 Black Back-Up Light Kit will be wired like yours ... with 2 diodes.

Right now, I have the Rigids, powered by Aux 3 alone and they are auxiliary lights only. Geeez, they are bright!

Come Wednesday they will automatically light when I put the JL in reverse or if I opt to, I can turn them on as auxiliary lighting with the Aux 3 switch.

Thanks for getting me motivated, Luke... :clap:

Sponsored