jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
ill chime in and also thank all the folks with families that have kept this truck alive buying up the station wagons, because if it wasnt for them the purist may not even have a 2 door to brag about. if chevy needed to put 4 doors on the camaros would they still be muscle cars? my two cents is that the short bus makes up in lack of space with maneuverability. so count me in with the helmet wearing, window lickers because my backseat will be first mod when i remove it and toss it into storage to never be seen again. and ill carry the 2 door torch till the next generations kids grow up, then ill kindly pass it along. 2 doors rock! i mean, really, who goes thru a mid life crises and buys a sedan?
Sponsored

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
All BS aside. Most of the comments on here have been in regards to looks preference. I love the 2 doors and I love the 4 doors. When I first saw the 4 door at the auto show at the Texas State Fair in 06', I was like damn... That's cool. I ended up building up a pretty cool 08' JKU Sahara. I think the 4 door has a really cool tactical look and is practical for people with families. The one thing I like about the unlimited is the slant angle of the rear roll bar. Anyway..... All this talk is about looks preference. I'm in the market for a new JL. I have a girlfriend and my daughter every other weekend. I don't really see the need for the unlimited at this time. Not to high jack this thread but I'd like to see the discussion go back to advantages and disadvantages of the two models.... Particularly off road and the specifics, resale, etc...

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
2 door and remove the back seat.
And not 6 weeks later I got a 4 door off the lot.

I'm definitely happy with my choice. It was tough going on multi day camping trips or really any long distance travel with my 2 door JK but it sure did look good.

bearcat454

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500HD, Suzuki Carry
Got a PM asking about a 29er mountain bike fitting. I've been running it this way since my 1up rack doesn't work. The Rubicon spare tire hits the rack, even with a 2" drop hitch.

This is a size large 29er. Long bike for sure. I'm not sure if a XL would fit this way to be honest. What does work is having the left side of the handlebar over the right side of the passenger seat headrest.

Happy with storing the bike inside for now.

cTyk2Mg.jpg

eoqo3lD.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@bearcat454

You do know that you can get an adjustable drop that will drop you down 10" right? The bottom of your 2" receiver on a Rubi Jl is 18" above the ground. You can use up to a 10" drop receiver and still have about 6" of ground clearance.

I use a 10" adjustable on my 2dr.. Usually 8" drop is what I need with my utility/motorcycle trailer.

Sponsored

bearcat454

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500HD, Suzuki Carry
@bearcat454

You do know that you can get an adjustable drop that will drop you down 10" right? The bottom of your 2" receiver on a Rubi Jl is 18" above the ground. You can use up to a 10" drop receiver and still have about 6" of ground clearance.

I use a 10" adjustable on my 2dr.. Usually 8" drop is what I need with my utility/motorcycle trailer.
Yeah, I hear ya. I had the 2" drop hitch on hand to test with. I'd say a 3" would be perfect. Before I spend money on another hitch drop, I'm either going to do a "spare delete", or work on a 1up rack adapter to fit behind the spare tire.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
id say the 2 door is better at everything off road except going up combo steps, then the longer wheel base has the advantage. the 2 doors do not have to be built quite as much as the 4 door to go the same places.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. Come try and follow me in my 4-door. We’ll see who’s the poser. When I had my ‘99 TJ I dreamt of the day they designed a 4-door.
I once had a guy I knew bragging about his Mustang with the 5.0 liter engine. He was talking about how fast and quick it was and could tell that I wasn't all that impressed. He kept at it until I finally told him that I doubted that he could keep up with me in my XJ. He laughed, of course and said bring it on. So, I drove down the subdivision street at the speed limit with him following... When we came to an area where a main electricity distribution line was crossing the street, I hopped the curb and drove down the power line right of way. He just sat there, slowly realizing that he had been had... Never got over 30 mph the entire time and that was the part on the street.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised that some people are calling the 2-door model too small. I was originally wanting a small compact model when I ordered my JL, but after I compared the specs to the 4-door XJ that I used to own, I realized that they are basically the same length -- the JL is only 0.3" shorter than the XJ 4-door. Sure, it's a lot shorter than the Ram 1500 QuadCab that I had been driving, but it doesn't seem to be the short compact offroader that it used to be in the CJ, YJ, and TJ days.

I'll probably end up removing the rear seats and leave it as a 2-seater. That should give my wife enough room to lie down in the back while I'm driving if we're on a long trip.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm surprised that some people are calling the 2-door model too small. I was originally wanting a small compact model when I ordered my JL, but after I compared the specs to the 4-door XJ that I used to own, I realized that they are basically the same length -- the JL is only 0.3" shorter than the XJ 4-door. Sure, it's a lot shorter than the Ram 1500 QuadCab that I had been driving, but it doesn't seem to be the short compact offroader that it used to be in the CJ, YJ, and TJ days.

I'll probably end up removing the rear seats and leave it as a 2-seater. That should give my wife enough room to lie down in the back while I'm driving if we're on a long trip.
Heh Heh, yeah we think of the 2dr as "SMALL", until you compare to our "BIG" DODGES--

I have a 3 car garage in Nevada and there's only one stall I can use for the RAM, so I have the SMALLEST stall set up for the JL--the same one I used for my JKUR-

I used to drive my JKUR from here in Nv to my place in Ca and it was COMFY on the hiwy, but I doubt if I'll ever use my JL for that trip(RAM), so I'll probably take out the rear seats also--

We'll see--whatever

JIMBO

Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I was originally going for the 2dr, but became impatient with the wait and just got the 4dr. No regrets, love the size. I can pull the rear seats down and sleep crisscrossed in the back.

I will miss the nimbleness of the 2dr though, but the 4dr is just so much more practical (even for a single guy).

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Heh Heh, yeah we think of the 2dr as "SMALL", until you compare to our "BIG" DODGES--

I have a 3 car garage in Nevada and there's only one stall I can use for the RAM, so I have the SMALLEST stall set up for the JL--the same one I used for my JKUR-

I used to drive my JKUR from here in Nv to my place in Ca and it was COMFY on the hiwy, but I doubt if I'll ever use my JL for that trip(RAM), so I'll probably take out the rear seats also--

We'll see--whatever

JIMBO
Yeah, the Ram is comfortable on the road, but it sucks when you get to the destination and you have to parallel park and the only spots available are for small cars. Don't even *think* about finding a spot that will fit in the French Quarter in New Orleans. Even the XJ was tight on that and the 2-door JL is only 0.3" shorter. Come on, 0.3"? Hell, that's the thickness of mosquitoes that will be on your bumper just crossing the swamps on the way there!

stowayman

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Rubicon, 2023 BMW X5, 2023 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Tons of room in my two door... back seat sold the day I bought it

Bike in back of Jeep.jpg
Sponsored