First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
thinking about replacing the stock sahara shocks with fox 2.0. since i am running the aev 2” spacer lift, is there any downside to this upgrade or do i need to upgrade springs as well?

am making a wishlist.

teraflex (or rugged ridge spartacus) hinge reinforcement kit with the teraflex alpha hd adjustable tire mount.

when these tires are done, move to 315/70’s

and am pondering moving to a dynatrac 2” lift or the quadratec 2.5” lift for sport/sahara.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
thinking about replacing the stock sahara shocks with fox 2.0. since i am running the aev 2” spacer lift, is there any downside to this upgrade or do i need to upgrade springs as well?

am making a wishlist.

teraflex (or rugged ridge spartacus) hinge reinforcement kit with the teraflex alpha hd adjustable tire mount.

and am pondering moving to a dynatrac 2” lift or the quadratec 2.5” lift for sport/sahara.
Yeah. Just measure your eye-to-eye shock lengths to get the right length shock. I think youd be fine with the 2~3in lift shocks.

Take a look at bilstein 5100s. Theyre almost half the price, they extend a little more (bit more flex), and theyre superb quality. I would just leave the AEV spacers if youre happy with those.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Are you running the bump extensions?

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Are you running the bump extensions?
whatever came with the AEV 2”
spacer lift. i am as mechanically inclined as a tack in a wall. so i can’t say but i assume so?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
whatever came with the AEV 2”
spacer lift. i am as mechanically inclined as a tack in a wall. so i can’t say but i assume so?
Take a picture of the coil spring and I can tell you

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Jeep Wrangler JL shock upgrade 04F3E5F6-FEAA-41BE-99B0-522BC609FF29

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon

am making a wishlist.

No downside to upgrading shocks for that spacer lift. If they are stock shocks, then you are riding around with 2" less down travel from the shock. Like mentioned, longer shocks may require bump stop height change so you don't bottom out the shock before hitting the bump stops. Swapping springs would only be necessary if you want to ditch the spacers or have a good amount of weight added in accessories that require a heavier rate. You should decide on the spring swap before getting shocks to make sure they go together.

For a great ride both on and off-road, some Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks would work extremely well. They will ride incredible, look great, tunable (by us) and rebuildable.

If you do want to get more precise on everything, this graphic may help give you an idea of whats going on.
  • Shock length at ride height (A)
  • Shaft showing at ride height (B)
  • A-B = compressed length of that shock
  • (C) actual up travel available, should be ½” to 1” shorter than B lengths

measuring-jeep-shock-lengths-at-ride-height.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
i am a banker. understanding mechanic things is like someone speaking french to me

Sponsored

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
I highly recommend Accutune. They are great to deal with,

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
No downside to upgrading shocks for that spacer lift. If they are stock shocks, then you are riding around with 2" less down travel from the shock. Like mentioned, longer shocks may require bump stop height change so you don't bottom out the shock before hitting the bump stops. Swapping springs would only be necessary if you want to ditch the spacers or have a good amount of weight added in accessories that require a heavier rate. You should decide on the spring swap before getting shocks to make sure they go together.

For a great ride both on and off-road, some Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks would work extremely well. They will ride incredible, look great, tunable (by us) and rebuildable.

If you do want to get more precise on everything, this graphic may help give you an idea of whats going on.

look nice. but is the improvement in ride going to be $1500 improved?

i can hear my wife now, if you spend $1500 on shocks why not spend $2k on a lift with shocks and go from there?

yes i hear her without her speaking to me. it’s a curse.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
I guess it depends. The shocks that come with kits can be very low end to meet that price point. About like what you already have. I like to make it a surprise for my wife. She finds out when the ups truck shows up….

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
i’m
I guess it depends. The shocks that come with kits can be very low end to meet that price point. About like what you already have. I like to make it a surprise for my wife. She finds out when the ups truck shows up….
i make sure deliveries arrive when she isn’t home hahah.

that said i don’t do any installs so she would know when i ask her to pick me up at the shop.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
All great points & questions. It's obviously impossible for me to tell you if its worth it. We all have our budgets, needs & preferences. Our tuned shocks may be perfect for you, however you also may not have much to compare them to. The nice thing about shocks from us, if you do want them to ride softer or stiffer, we will make that change for you for free. No one else can offer that service nor do they have the experience we do. However, a cheap $100/each shock may work great for you, thats a gamble you would have to take. We do get a lot of customers coming to us after buying cheap and not being happy. I guess we are sort of known for being the "buy once, cry once shock company". Some also claim to love their shocks, until they ride in something better. In our mind, we can always make something better which is why we are constantly improving our tunes and learning.
Sponsored