Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Now that we're on the subject:

ESS is Helpful at stoplights. If your engine isn't doing any useful work like moving the vehicle, running your AC compressor or charging a low battery there's no point in just idling at a stop.

Even with the extra starts, its still going to take me something like 12 years to get to 100,000 uses of the starter motor..
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Let's be honest though, I know where that is, and I 100% know there are people at that light with you that are upset to be stopped for 2 whole minutes too lmao
Okay I just ripped that off of google... is that in Charlotte?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Okay I just ripped that off of google... is that in Charlotte?
Negative, that looks like Airport Blvd running around between Cary and Morrisville. Back when I was working in the office, I was off of Davis in Morrisville. Had a buddy that loved to go to the Hooters off of Airport.

Edit: Well, if you got it off google I could be wrong. But it does look like the same kind of road setup as the Airport Blvd I'm describing. Also, that Hooters is mediocre.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Negative, that is Airport Blvd running around between Cary and Morrisville. Back when I was working in the office, I was off of Davis in Morrisville. Had a buddy that loved to go to the Hooters off of Airport.

Edit: Well, if you got it off google I could be wrong. But it does look like the same kind of road setup as the Airport Blvd I'm describing. Also, that Hooters is mediocre.
Ah, Raleigh traffic... Just as bad...

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Some people on here live so far out in the sticks that they've never seen one of these

1657646600421.png

and cannot comprehend stopping for 2 minutes to allow other traffic to pass through an intersection...
Jeep Wrangler JL What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? earth_postcard_1645587078

Yup.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Ah, Raleigh traffic... Just as bad...
Raleigh's worse IMO. The roads are way over utilized for how they were designed and there's no room to improve them because it's so built up they'd have to gank a bunch of property from folks on either side of the road. I always either stay west of Cary or north of Raleigh if I can help it. But these days, it's the highway that gets me. The 40/85 merge and the part of 40 where 15-501 splits off were both always a pain in the ass during my commute.

But anyway, on subject of unpopular opinions - a properly geared Jeep actually makes for a better commuter car than most like to admit. With properly deep gearing, idling right along while sitting in traffic is the way to go and way less work.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Some people on here live so far out in the sticks that they've never seen one of these

Jeep Wrangler JL What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? earth_postcard_1645587078

and cannot comprehend stopping for 2 minutes to allow other traffic to pass through an intersection...
What are these glowing red orbs you speak of... 😵

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.

We live on a Arizona Horse Ranch. So just not familiar with the above pic..LOL

WasMFD

First Name
Coño, Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUS, JLUR
99.9% of HiLifts stored externally are for decoration.

Dirty edit: and 78.934% of HiLift owners have zero clue on how to even use one. I especially like seeing them on vehicles that literally have no spot to use them. Granted, it can be used as a winch as well but they don't know that either. Lol.
78.934% is being overly nice for a rant-lol The best HiLifts are the 'Light Weight' colorful ones that dont even comes with or have a option to buy a base plate. When I ask 'What size based plate did you get?' I typically explain it and then they do indeed tell me 'its not for for lifting or changing the tire. I 'USE' it as a back up to my winch'. Good post brother

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
BTW, I’m not jumping.

Personally, I find Wrangler’s sweet spot is 33-34 inch tires, and no wider than 285. The Jeep looks great, well proportioned; and the handling remains close to stock.

By the time you get to 35s, the added unsprung weight starts to show in the handling and in the ride. Steering response slows down considerably and the ride harshness. Rocks hit the sides of the Jeep; your MPG plummets to the low-to-mid teens. If you have a non-Rubicon, then you also have to regear.
LOL no worries. I think performance sweet spot doesn't really reflect what I meant. More like a "going bigger sweet spot". In addition to what you mentioned, you need to start considering how to carry a spare, will the lift require new drive shafts, gearing for rubicons, etc.

WasMFD

First Name
Coño, Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUS, JLUR
Seriously, its a American Car thing. Fancy paint and shinny Krome. But whats the point of putting on HEAVY duty Dana 60s, 20K Winch, 37Mickey Deep Mud on a 392 and refuse to take off the pavement. Its a Mud Toy, expensive ass Mud Toy but made for getting dirty. That Gorgeous, Smoking Hot lady with the perfect T/A needs to get dirty or somebody is going to drive her and use her for what she made for. You can always love her and wash and wax her afterwards.