Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Here's one that I've been chewing on for a while - roof-top tents make no sense. They're big, heavy, expensive, and all around meh. You're probably better off taking a ground tent and a tarp in the back of the Jeep if you're camping.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I get 17mpg with 35s 2.5” metalcloak lift and mostly city driving, if I’m easy on the pedal. Being careless I get more like 15.5mpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
My Sahara got 21 MPG a long time ago...

Now it barely breaks 15 MPG; 13 MPG if I insist in driving around town.
You wanna know which one I get 16 MPG in?

Jeep Wrangler JL What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? 1657653145701

I refuse to let my Jeep get as low my work truck, lol.

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
We had 53,000 basically trouble free miles, except I didn't trust the transmission and traction control software. It did weird stuff in 2WD when you didn't want it to. But when it was offroad, it was fine. Never had a heating problem, and it gets 100+ here during the day for 6-8 weeks every year. We did the math on the premium/turbo vs. V6 87 octane question also, and figure 21 was what we needed to offset 25 and premium. That's how we ended up with the Wrangler. The Renegade had a lot of gravel road and rough dirt road mileage on it, we used the 4WD functions every month. But the hill hold downhill cruise thing was STUPID. We both hated it. Lot of winter driving in three years, it was my commuter.

We like the Wrangler a lot better also. It's way more of an off-roader. The only thing is, we're not getting 21+ anymore, more like 19.2-19.6 commuting (80 mph zones), and 20-20.5 on the hwys. The winch, bumper and true trac have eaten a little MPG. But, it's fantastic offroad now, just air down and go anywhere you want.
Mine seemed to hate water of any type - just a mild puddle would be enough to set off the service 4WD light.

The JL is just so much less drama, it makes off roading "boring" lol. Have a trip planned to Moab in September and am so happy to have the JL for it!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You wanna know which one I get 16 MPG in?

1657653145701.png

I refuse to let my Jeep get as low my work truck, lol.
If I can take the Fiat, I refuse to take the Jeep.

I costs only one-third as much to fill up the Fiat.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
People that think their Rubicon is so much better than any other fully modified Wrangler.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Of course, we all carry our DD-214s with us wherever we go.
Haha! But seriously, I have a copy of it on my phone.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Mine seemed to hate water of any type - just a mild puddle would be enough to set off the service 4WD light.

The JL is just so much less drama, it makes off roading "boring" lol. Have a trip planned to Moab in September and am so happy to have the JL for it!
You will like it down there. Rode my enduro/dirt bike there last fall. First time we were there. We went up Poison Spider, and all over the Mesa trails, Metal Masher, some less crazy trails, but we had a blast. Then spent 2 days with my wife finding dinosaur footprints, and hiking some totally unpopulated trails in the area. Totally worth the trip.

Our Renegade was okay. But, that's about the rating I'd give it. Never caused issues, but I never trusted it. It was communicating with me at some level telling me that the transmission was going to be something we were going to be needing as soon as the powertrain warranty was up.

The dealer had it sold in less than 2 weeks, certified. Let the CPO put a transmission in it, that was my thinking.

We got a lot of use out of the mini-me Jeep, but it wasn't a keeper.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Still a little crowded. We're going to be shooting for miles to the next house when we retire. That's not bad though! Is that a dirt air strip up top?
Nope, just cropland with stripping.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
That you can run 37s on a front D30 axle.
Coworker is doing it. Had me change his gears about three weeks ago to 4.88. We'll see if it's a ticking time bomb, or it lasts for years. With his driving, I'm guessing it will last for years. He wanted the look, and to go on trails occasionally.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If I can take the Fiat, I refuse to take the Jeep.

I costs only one-third as much to fill up the Fiat.
If I was allowed to touch the Wife's Honda, I'd probably drive it more than the Jeep. lol I guess once she tires of it I can use it as a "beater"

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
People put far too much emphasis on tire weight and not nearly enough on diameter.
Sponsored