Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

That posts like this are pointless and generally come from people just looking to garnish attention to their product or company. Apparently it works because I opened the thread and replied...
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Pretty helpful on the trails however, at least that's been my experience.

Oh, and the only real Jeeps are 2drs and the only real 2drs are CJs, now it's out there lol.
That’s true. But it’s true of most car communities. I’ve had an acquaintance (not a good friend) pull a rear drive shaft off of his car to put in mine at the drag strip when I broke mine so I could drive home because he trailered his car there.

And get a second job so you can afford the other half of your Jeep. :LOL:

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
1) The introduction of the 4-door started an avalanche of new "non-Jeep" buyers who will do nothing to preserve the heritage of the brand and will eventually lead to an unrecognizable "Wrangler". Just as the Blazer of today is unrecognizable to the K5 enthusiast, we old school Jeepers will lose what makes a Jeep a Jeep.

2) The 2-door 2012-2017 JK Rubicon with a 6-speed will eventually be considered the pinnacle of stock Wranglers. More capable than any Jeep before it, and simpler than any after it. The perfect balance of technology, capability, and simplicity. The JL and future models will lose out not because they aren't more capable, but because they are too tech heavy. All the electronics, system integration, hybrid drives, and forced induction engines will not stand the test of time. Their complexity, cost and difficulty of repair will be their demise.

3) If heated seats are more important to you than lockers, then you bought the wrong vehicle.

Last edited:

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
Eliminate the folding windshield.

Who does that any more...?!?!
Sheesh, how do you expect to hunt out of it without a fold-down windshield? :)

My JK had a “defacto“ fixed windshield and I hated that about it. As soon as the 2dr JL came out in the full year I replaced it.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
90%+ of Jeep drivers can’t even fully use the capability of their Jeeps stock, and don’t need mods. Most mods are done for vanity and fashion, not necessity.
This….the lifted, bead locked monster tired beasts that never leave a paved road, much less a (gasp!) Mud puddle.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
[Jeep owners are] Pretty helpful on the trails however, at least that's been my experience.
Yeah. When you need one those Honda Ridgeline owners are hard to locate on them trails...

😫

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Let it out, we won't tell anyone. What unpopular opinion do you have in this community?
I hate mud and there aren't any natural rock trails in Florida. At least I can drive on beaches, for now.

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Quick disconnect swaybar endlinks usually suck worse than just unbolting the links at the trailhead.
Autolynx. You're welcome.

If my wife is willing to jump out and twist the knobs when we hit a trail, that puts it about a "zero" on the old mechanical difficulty scale.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Uh, they've always been painted and should still come painted to hide the shame of having fenders made of Tupperware.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? 1944-Willys-MB-01
I don't see a top or rear fenders in the back here???? I kid.

The tupperware is the first thing I yanked (literally) off mine, front, back, and sides. Just because they are painted only makes them more Rubbermaid than Tupperware. I also have Hydro Blue and too much of a good thing is...well....too much.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
I was in Basic with guys who had just purchased new Monte Carlo SSs, and had $18K+ notes to pay off (a big loan at the time, viewed in context). A few others had just gotten married, and had to make it through BMT in order to have a life worth building with their new wives. The slightly wiser ones were waiting to get married until (and only if) they successfully made it through to Tech School.

At the permanent party bases at which I was stationed, there were also any number of sleazeoid car dealers who preyed on the lower ranking enlisted. The dealers knew full well that payment defaults would eventually land at CBPO, where the poor kid's biweekly pay -- what little there was of it -- would then be garnished with little recourse.

As for me? I saved up and purchased my first [used] car for cash, and did so only after ensuring that I wouldn't touch the seed corn already being set aside for University. Maybe I was a bit envious of my fellow young bucks with nice vehicles, but I preferred to look at the balance on my bank statements. I still do. ;)
Good for you. Had a buddy who went into JAG Corps at Ft. Stewart when we graduated from law school. Four years later he told me most of his time had been spent getting junior enlisted out of usurious car loans and other dicey personal situations. My son, now an O-2 in the Navy, made similar good choices and now spends most of his time trying to help his junior enlisted avoid similar situations.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Autolynx. You're welcome.

If my wife is willing to jump out and twist the knobs when we hit a trail, that puts it about a "zero" on the old mechanical difficulty scale.
It's not about mechanical ease, just generally that I think the effort to unbolt the OEM-style end links is 100% worth it to avoid the downfalls of the vast majority of alternative end link designs, IMO anyway. Couple of wrenches and a zip tie and you're golden.
Sponsored