wiring through the firewall

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi all, How are you guys getting through the cab to the engine compartment for wiring? I am trying to wire up my ARB dual compressor which I am going to mount in the cargo area but it has to be wired directly to the battery. I found a plug that should work above the foot pedals to the far left. Here are some pics:
IMG_5291.JPG IMG_5294.JPG IMG_5295.JPG

I plan on drilling through the plastic to push the wires through and then because it is just plastic, I was going to silicone around the wires.

Anyone else have any better ideas? :idea:
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
There is a grommet on the passenger side. Guys doing the Mopar tow harness install have Mopar install instructions that say use that grommet to get single wire to battery for power. Go to the hitch thread on this forum and get the instructions. Instr. also show best way to run wire from rear storage to battery and again using that grommet. Instr. say to use wire coat hangar to poke thru that grommet.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Hi all, How are you guys getting through the cab to the engine compartment for wiring? I am trying to wire up my ARB dual compressor which I am going to mount in the cargo area but it has to be wired directly to the battery. I found a plug that should work above the foot pedals to the far left. Here are some pics:

I plan on drilling through the plastic to push the wires through and then because it is just plastic, I was going to silicone around the wires.

Thats exactly what i did. I then cut a piece of rubber to fill the gap.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There is a grommet on the passenger side. Guys doing the Mopar tow harness install have Mopar install instructions that say use that grommet to get single wire to battery for power. Go to the hitch thread on this forum and get the instructions. Instr. also show best way to run wire from rear storage to battery and again using that grommet. Instr. say to use wire coat hangar to poke thru that grommet.
Found it. That grommet on the passenger side looks really hard to get to. I think in my case, because the compressor is mounted on the driver side, I'm going to stick with the hole that I found.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Found it. That grommet on the passenger side looks really hard to get to. I think in my case, because the compressor is mounted on the driver side, I'm going to stick with the hole that I found.
I hear ya ... Yes, the passenger side grommet supposedly is a pain to deal with. Hey, a holes a hole so sure, use the driver's side hole.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I drilled a hole in the grommet behind the brake booster without removing the grommet. Ran my wire through there for my trailer brake box power supply.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase

Where are you mounting your compressor? I was looking into the MORE mount(needs some mods to work with the softop), but may just put it in the storage compartment and leave it open when in use.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Where are you mounting your compressor? I was looking into the MORE mount(needs some mods to work with the softop), but may just put it in the storage compartment and leave it open when in use.
I have the MORE mount on order. I just have a hard top at the moment but I can’t imagine why it won’t work for a soft top. I wonder if it has to do with the plastic c pillar? The MORE mount comes with a place to mount a switch but I plan on cutting that off because I am using one of the four aux switches.

Sponsored

NavyNick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR & '08 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Tmarako,
I’ve spent two hot days trying to find that plug with no luck. Is it hidden behind something else that you have to remove first? I’ve got a Rubicon, manual, maybe there’s more hardware mounted in that area that’s covering it up? Could you please post a pic of where it comes out into the engine compartment? Thanks!

Update: Nevermind. Yeah, that hole is being used by something else on my Jeep. I can’t use it.

Last edited:

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tmarako,
I’ve spent two hot days trying to find that plug with no luck. Is it hidden behind something else that you have to remove first? I’ve got a Rubicon, manual, maybe there’s more hardware mounted in that area that’s covering it up? Could you please post a pic of where it comes out into the engine compartment? Thanks!

Update: Nevermind. Yeah, that hole is being used by something else on my Jeep. I can’t use it.
On a Manual Transmission it is where the clutch cylinder passes through the firewall. Our only option appears to be the AUX Switch grommet on the passenger side.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Using the grommet on the passenger side is actually easy and a better option if you need to wire a thick battery power cable.. the trick is to lay on the floor and push the inner fender liner out of the way... then from inside the rig poke though the grommet with a thick wire ... the grommet is doubled walled.. then attach the electric cable to the wire using duct tape and apply oil to it to facilitate the cable going through the grommet.. then pull it from the engine compartment.. done!

View of the grommet area from the engine compartment side... simply push the inner fender liner out of the way.. easy to do (at least on a Sport model)

upload_2019-9-11_11-21-9.png

Then push the wire through the grommet from inside the rig:
upload_2019-9-11_11-33-47.png

Attach the electric cable to the wire on the inside of the rig side using duct tape.. lubricate with oil and pull wire/cable from engine compartment:
upload_2019-9-11_11-29-41.png

You are done!

View attachment 226014

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

moonpup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
After having my JL for the last year, I'm finally getting around to reinstalling my Kenwood TMV-71A dual band radio back in the vehicle. All I can say is what a pain in the rear it was getting the power cable through the grommet behind the glovebox. It took me numerous tries and I ended up tearing the grommet in 2-3 places. Going to need to pile on the silicone caulking to fix that debacle. Anyway, why can't car manufacturers put these firewall access ports in more easily accessible places :mad:

UPDATED to add: Don't do what I did and try to push the wire and cable at the same time. That was my mistake :headbang:

Last edited:

admTECH

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info and pics on the pass side grommet. Saved me. I just installed a front cam and the pass side path worked perfectly.
Sponsored