Yet another thread about wiring through JL firewall

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
if you take both batteries, and the fuse box out, you can cut the nipple, and feed the wire from outside to inside, thats what i did, rather then trying to feel it thru from the inside, which as you said was a pain.
That's exactly what I did. I did it again a couple of weeks later when I installed my Dual Battery Kit.
Sponsored

tonyp913

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rivian R1S
If you have the factory-installed AUX switches, there are extra battery and accessory wires in the wiring loom in the passenger footwell (and ground points on the frame). Super-easy install and plenty of options for concealing the wires.

H/T to Casey 250 for pointing this out in his install video (jump to the 5:19 mark): .

Anibal

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 2.0 2019
Sorry for the late response, been busy with contingency plannig at work, so haven't had time to look at this.

Will look for "The Jeep JL & Gladiator Dual Battery Kit Installation Guide", much appreciated!
Thank you! Your guidance is already helping me a lot. Hug!

Anibal

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 2.0 2019
Adding to the options. Here is another way to route wire. Did it today and it worked out pretty well. It's on the drivers side but I imagine it could be done on the pax side as well. No drilling required.
Routing Power Through Your Manual Transmission JL Firewall | Page 2 | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

Good night. I'm going to adopt this solution of yours by pulling the wire up because I'm going to install the radio transmitter in a horizontal bar next to the ceiling. With this idea of yours will not need any drilling. I bought the top bar that will serve as radio support there in the USA, already arrived in Brazil and now I'm waiting for the post office to deliver me, should take another week due to customs services. After installation I will post photos here of the whole process and how the installation was. I have received many suggestions and in what I am grateful to everyone and to you my thanks too.Hug.

KWC

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
So here's what the grommet looks like on the passenger side firewall when you have the power distribution center removed...

IMG_0331.jpg

Near the top of the grommet, there is actually a little nipple for passing the wire through. You can either pierce it, or (if you're running larger wiring) cut the tip of it off. This gives you a clear path to pass the wire through, allows it to remain water tight, and prevents the chance of damaging the factory wire bundle as you poke your coat hanger through it...

IMG_0328.jpg

Now I'm not going to lie and say it was easy to get my wiring through it. Even with the PDC out of the way, it required some contorting (and some cursing) in the passenger footwell to get the wire through that damn nipple. From the inside, you can't see the nipple hole since it's above the wire bundle. This means it has to be done by feel if you want to feed from the interior to the exterior. Since I was running a long length of heavy gauge wire through it, I figured it would be in my best interest to go this route so I'd only have to pass the couple of feet needed to reach my battery through the nipple. If you go from the exterior to the interior, it is easier to find the nipple (obviously) but it is very challenging to poke a tool through it as the tip nearly touches the rear face of the PDC.
Can you see this "nipple" if you remove the passenger front fender well for access?

Sponsored

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
A lot happened since I started this thread.

I totaled my 2020 Manual in May, and replaced it with a 2020 Auto. Only because I was 30 days into waiting for Geico to finally write off the Jeep, and I needed to get to work and back.

Suddenly running wires through the drivers side firewall hole is a piece of cake, though I found it to be a one time thing, see pics. Luckily I had a couple spare firewall plugs handy.

I was also surprised to see how easy it is to run wires through the drivers side window pillar. I was able to easily route the Ethernet wire for a sPOD Mini-6 for JL that way. And a couple other wires.

Running through the passenger side in an auto is not difficult, and I had a couple space plugs handy, just in case:

Mopar Part No.:68336758AC
PLUG-DASH PANEL
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-plug-dash-panel~68336758ac.html

The attached images show a Dometic hard wire kit being run through the PLUG-DASH PANEL. The kit luckily comes with an easy to route wire. I was able to drill two holes into the PLUG-DASH PANEL and then cut out the between holes piece. The housing is oval shaped, and I was lucky to get the hole just about right. I plan to seal it with some liquid tape.

Now I need to run my ARB Dual Compressor hard wire kit through the same hole. I'll need to splice the wiring ARB providesa since one end has HUGE dual fuse housings, and the other end has a 2" proprietary plug. I bought 5' of black 10 AWG wire, and 10' of 10 AWG wire so I can splice the harness and only have to feed a 1/2" thick wire through the firewall hole.

That of course means I'll need to finagle the PLUG-DASH PANEL out so I can widen the hole somehow without having to re-run the wires that are already run through it (through body panels). I really wish Mopar (or a third party) could redesign their PLUG-DASH PANEL, surely they know many of us need to wire stuff! :)

If I'm lucky enough to get this done successfully, I'll post an update with pictures.

HTH,
Don
IMG_4885.png
IMG_4877.png
IMG_4872.png
Wondering what the trick is for getting the plug out?

The one on my 21 is NOT moving...tried twisting counterclockwise and clockwise....one of the flimsy plastic tabs broke already....second one is close.....WTH!!!!!!!

I am pretty handy with my wrenches but the location of this is stymying me.

And on top of that......all the sites I am going to show the plugs as "discontinued" or not in stock.....SIGH

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
I had the same problem and while I was fighting with with it my 17 year old said quote if you're going to drill a hole through the center for the wires why not just drill the hole with it in place and run the wires?"
Kids..... It worked perfectly!

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wondering what the trick is for getting the plug out?

The one on my 21 is NOT moving...tried twisting counterclockwise and clockwise....one of the flimsy plastic tabs broke already....second one is close.....WTH!!!!!!!

I am pretty handy with my wrenches but the location of this is stymying me.

And on top of that......all the sites I am going to show the plugs as "discontinued" or not in stock.....SIGH
Ok....so ...."K.I.S.S."

I found a youtube video (what the hell did we do before YT vids?).....

All I did was go INSIDE the jeep, and push outward on it.

IT DOESNT TWIST AT ALL really.....just pushes in and out.

Duh. LOL

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same problem and while I was fighting with with it my 17 year old said quote if you're going to drill a hole through the center for the wires why not just drill the hole with it in place and run the wires?"
Kids..... It worked perfectly!
See my update...but curious --- what side did you drill from? I assume INSIDE because my drill wouldnt fit from the engine side.

Turns out the plug just PUSHES in and out....I did it from the inside. Took two seconds.

I felt so dumb. LOL

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
See my update...but curious --- what side did you drill from? I assume INSIDE because my drill wouldnt fit from the engine side.

Turns out the plug just PUSHES in and out....I did it from the inside. Took two seconds.

I felt so dumb. LOL
We drilled the center from the outside. Our drill bit reached. I have since added more wires for my dashcam and they fit in nice and tight so it's pretty sealed up :)

Waxings

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Tide
A lot happened since I started this thread.

I totaled my 2020 Manual in May, and replaced it with a 2020 Auto. Only because I was 30 days into waiting for Geico to finally write off the Jeep, and I needed to get to work and back.

Suddenly running wires through the drivers side firewall hole is a piece of cake, though I found it to be a one time thing, see pics. Luckily I had a couple spare firewall plugs handy.

I was also surprised to see how easy it is to run wires through the drivers side window pillar. I was able to easily route the Ethernet wire for a sPOD Mini-6 for JL that way. And a couple other wires.

Running through the passenger side in an auto is not difficult, and I had a couple space plugs handy, just in case:

Mopar Part No.:68336758AC
PLUG-DASH PANEL
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-plug-dash-panel~68336758ac.html

The attached images show a Dometic hard wire kit being run through the PLUG-DASH PANEL. The kit luckily comes with an easy to route wire. I was able to drill two holes into the PLUG-DASH PANEL and then cut out the between holes piece. The housing is oval shaped, and I was lucky to get the hole just about right. I plan to seal it with some liquid tape.

Now I need to run my ARB Dual Compressor hard wire kit through the same hole. I'll need to splice the wiring ARB providesa since one end has HUGE dual fuse housings, and the other end has a 2" proprietary plug. I bought 5' of black 10 AWG wire, and 10' of 10 AWG wire so I can splice the harness and only have to feed a 1/2" thick wire through the firewall hole.

That of course means I'll need to finagle the PLUG-DASH PANEL out so I can widen the hole somehow without having to re-run the wires that are already run through it (through body panels). I really wish Mopar (or a third party) could redesign their PLUG-DASH PANEL, surely they know many of us need to wire stuff! :)

If I'm lucky enough to get this done successfully, I'll post an update with pictures.

HTH,
Don
IMG_4885.png
IMG_4877.png
IMG_4872.png
I have to do the same thing as you. That looks like the same Dometic 10AWG wire I have going thru mine. I now have to fit 2 more 6AWG wires thru it. How did you drill it without removing the existing one? Thanks
Sponsored